• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brush Tees or Normal Tees?

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
I don't understand all these claims of "increased ball speed, launch angle, and distance." How can a tee possible affect any of those things? The tee holds the ball at a particular height. The club hits the ball and propels it well downrange before the head contacts the tee. There is no friction between the tee and the ball - at least not enough to overcome the energy transfer between the ball and the club.

I use Brush Tees religiously as far as hitting my Driver. I wouldn't say that there is increased ball speed. . .And honestly, you guys are right, with a driver, I don't think a Tee can make too much difference. But, I have the same height tee every time, there's no question.

I have had the same 3 brush T's for over a year now, so that's one way of looking at it. Strangely enough, my latest golfin' buddy also uses Brush T's religiously. . .I think we're the ONLY 2 guys on my home course that use them.

Its all about feel & height for me.

I also use zero friction t's for my 3wood and irons. . .shorties--1 1/2 inch.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I tried brush tees, they work OK but the bristles eventually get bent up and they don't work so well after a while. Kind of expensive too, IMO.

Then I moved on to Zero Friction tees. I liked them ok but had some problems with the shaft softening up (damn, it's hell getting old :laugh:) and found them hard to put in the ground sometimes. I also had a problem with the wind here in Kansas blowing the ball off the tee. Sometimes the ball would rock back and forth on the tee too, which sucks when you are concentrating on hitting your tee shot! Lastly, I broke the tines on several of them (must be my awesome swingspeed! :rolleyes:)

I finally moved on to Epoch tees and these bad boys are the dogs ballz. In about a season I haven't broken a single one and the ball stays on them really well. They also make a "shorty" version which is great for par 3's and teeing off with a fairway wood or hybrid. I had heard they had problems with them breaking in the earliest versions. I must have gotten the later model because I can't break the darn things -- the only reason I replace one is because it goes flying on my tee shot and I lose it.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I use wood tees.

I've used wood tees for every high (and low,to be fair) round I've ever played.

Money and time better spent in a better direction.

DrivetheGreen66

College Golfer
Jun 29, 2008
I use wood tees. I have used epoch and zero friction but i just prefer wood tees because you can break them off if you have to hit a fairway wood or a iron off a tee and on par 3's.
IMHO wood tees are the best

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Wood tees all the way, tried the brush ones & wasn't impressed. I buy a bag of the long ones for the driver & it lasts a long long time. They cost somewhere around $4 for a large bag. The only time I tee a ball up high is with driver, for everything else including 3w I tee them up the same as if they were on the fairway & I just use one of the many broken tees that are littering the tee boxes.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I use wood tees.

I've used wood tees for every high (and low,to be fair) round I've ever played.

Money and time better spent in a better direction.
That is actually one of the same reasons I use the Zero Frictions. The $10 I spent (actually used a Golf Galaxy Gift certificate that would have otherwise gone to waste when I bought my bag) on the 100 will probably last me until I'm dead (even though they are biodegradable :)).

I think I would probably go through about $10-15 worth of tees a year when I still used the wood ones and bought them in either a 500 or 1000 pack.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
That is actually one of the same reasons I use the Zero Frictions. The $10 I spent (actually used a Golf Galaxy Gift certificate that would have otherwise gone to waste when I bought my bag) on the 100 will probably last me until I'm dead (even though they are biodegradable :)).

I think I would probably go through about $10-15 worth of tees a year when I still used the wood ones and bought them in either a 500 or 1000 pack.

True. But Zero Friction, last I checked, isn't making a 3 1/4" tee.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
True. But Zero Friction, last I checked, isn't making a 3 1/4" tee.
Now available in 1 3/4", 2 3/4" and 3 1/4". Although as mentioned earlier, I usually only see the 2 3/4" in the store (when I was looking for the shorter) so you would have to order them probably. Never really looked for the longer, so they may have them in the store.
Amazon.com: Zero Friction Performance Golf Tees - 3 1/4 Inch: Sports & Outdoors

edit 1 - also not sure if the longer tee would be as durable???

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Good luck putting a zero friction tee into a rock hard tee box. I tried them this year and they do last longer but they can be a pain in the ass too.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Good luck putting a zero friction tee into a rock hard tee box. I tried them this year and they do last longer but they can be a pain in the ass too.

We don't get many rock hard ones here. Almost always in winter.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.