• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bryson's Putter

OP
subsonic

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
It seems as if everyone is frustrated with the USGA to some degree, The Pros, Good players, average players etc... One dumbass decision after another. Grow the game? Seriously?

The USGA appears to be run and controlled by golf snobs that make themselves feel special by protecting their 2 handi.

I would love to see an alternative. Some group start something from scratch or maybe the R&A opens up a satellite office in the US.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
USGA.... Unusually Sorry Golf Authority!

Had today's USGA been in charge, we would still be playing persimmon and laminated maple woods. We would not have any perimeter weighted irons and/or cast irons. All would be small forged blades. In fact, we'd probably still be required to play hickory shafts.

One of the very first pro golf tournaments I went to after taking up this dastardly game, I saw a ball fly into the green and spin back like it was motorized. Landed way past the pin and spun back to within inches. I was hooked on the game, even though I was told I could never spin a ball back like that. Today, we seldom see pros spin balls back. Grooves have changed. Balls have changed. The USGA didn't "protect" the game, they changed the game. 460cc limit on driver size. There is a point where weight/size no longer is efficient. Who cares if one guy in the group has "turtle on a stick", but can't get the monster past a 60 mph swing speed?

Karsten, DelaCruz, there are dozens of names of R&D gurus who worked tirelessly to improve the game. Today, thanks to the USGA, the "big" advancements each year are changes in the color of the plastic that adorns a club. There is no motivation to spend dollars on R&D. If something new was developed, the USGA would probably rule it non-conforming. So, have an Asian casting house blow out millions of "look-alike" clubs and pay pros to play them in hopes the public will buy them... in hopes the public will believe they can buy them and duplicate the 300 yard drives, when in reality we've not seen much that will improve golf for the person who shoots in the 80's, 90', and 100's today.
Shaft technology has probably been what has changed most over the past few years. We are still seeing R&D in that industry. Yet, the minute tweaking of torque, spin factor, etc. had little effect on the majority of those playing this game.

The USGA is considering reducing the time allowed searching for a lost ball from 5 minutes to 3 minutes. Wow! Let's speed up the game by.... A good player dumps his/her ball in the deep stuff let's say 5 times/round. That probably isn't a "good" player if he/she has to look for it that many times. But, it would knock 10 minutes off the round. Wooopppeeeeee!!!! Our regular group has a 20 second time limit looking for a lost ball. We don't need the USGA to speed up our round. We need the USGA to allow development of new exciting equipment that people will buy and bring it to the course. We need people who are excited to try out their new sticks and pay green fees to keep our courses maintained and open.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
It seems as if everyone is frustrated with the USGA to some degree, The Pros, Good players, average players etc... One dumbass decision after another. Grow the game? Seriously?

The USGA appears to be run and controlled by golf snobs that make themselves feel special by protecting their 2 handi.

I would love to see an alternative. Some group start something from scratch or maybe the R&A opens up a satellite office in the US.
You pioneered the Last Tee Program...................time for a new beginning - the Grow The Game Golf Association!

OP
subsonic

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
You pioneered the Last Tee Program...................time for a new beginning - the Grow The Game Golf Association!

Not sure I have the time...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
USGA is partially responsible for me giving up the game. The 2010 groove rule was the last straw. No need to make the game harder for the majority of players, but they did anyway.

OP
subsonic

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
The guy that does the pin placements at our courses has the same attitude....................

He is probably cut from the same douche bag cloth. Gets his jollies by watching geezers struggle. Sick fvck...

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I'm a little late to the conversation, but it really doesn't make any sense to me. Bryson is understandably upset, so he should be! Of all the people I could think of to follow rules, he would be on the list.

The USGA's reasoning was because the club was "centre shafted" is that even right?? I hope Bryson finds a way to beat this, just because the rulings are out right stupid!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Center shafts are not illegal, I have quite a few in my collection. Not sure if the USGA has officially said why his putter is illegal.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Center shafts are not illegal, I have quite a few in my collection. Not sure if the USGA has officially said why his putter is illegal.

Nothing against centre-shafted putters, I too have one or two in my collection.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I was just looking at the USGA equipment rules and I didn't see anywhere about where the shaft must enter the club head on a putter. However, it's my understanding that Bryson submitted a number of putters and they only disallowed one of them. I heard a comment from him that even though the USGA admitted his putting style isn't against the rules they don't want him putting that way.

Staff online

Members online