• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Burning the edges...

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
For about a month and a half or so, I've been burning the edges on a lot (too many) putts. Usually in the 6'-10' range. I'm missing by an inch or less. Adding up to a lot of extra strokes over the round. How does one tell if it's a stroke problem, or just a miss-read issue? I'll hit the putt, and think it's a good one...just to see it go by 1-2 feet past the hole. Just barely missing.

I dont mind missing a few this way...but it's becoming the norm, and preventing some decent rounds. Getting quite frustrating. I wish I could say there was a pattern..either all right, or left...but that's not the case. I know when I hit a bad putt by either closing or or leaving the putter face open too much right from the get-go. But it's pissing me off to THINK that I hit a solid putt, only to see it miss by an inch or less.

I'm (I guess) what they'd call a "feel putter"..as I tend to line up by where I think the ball will break, and aim to that target. A lot of times if the greens are in good shape, it's very hard to pick out some type of "target" to aim at that corresponds with where I want to go (old ball mark, green discoloration, etc). I think my speed is fairly solid on the putts that I'm consistently missing, as I'm only 1'-2' past the hole.

So I guess what I'm asking here is, how does one differentiate between bad reads, and perhaps having the putter face just slightly open/closed?

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Your speed is off if you are lipping out a lot of putts. Burning edges, but not catching the lip is either a speed problem (wrong speed for that line) or a line problem.

Most importantly, are you missing them on the high side? You'll know you are close when you miss consistently on the high side.

When you miss "by and inch" on the low side, you didn't actually miss by an inch. You misread the putt/speed by at least 5 1/2 inches! The cup is 4.5" wide. When you factor in if the ball stops exactly pin high on either the high or low edge, you have extended the cup to about 7" wide. If you are low of THAT, you need to rethink your speed and your read.

Start missing most every putt on the high side. Whether this means you need to start aiming for more break, using the speed you are now comfortable with, or just hitting it firmer on your current line is what you need to assess. Once your misses are on the high side almost all the time, it'll be much easier for you to figure out whether it is your speed or your line that is the culprit.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Well said Augster.

A ball rolling faster is more likely to lip out when it hits the edge of the cup. So maybe you are hitting putts a shade too firm. All that this means is, that you are putting well and you're aggressive. When you putt well, you're going to have more lip outs than usual, because you're misses are so marginal. And you will make more putts if you're a little aggressive...not 3 putt aggressive obviously, but if you come up short, it never had a chance.

No one likes having a bunch of lip outs, it's frustrating as hell...but you're putting really well or you wouldn't be having this problem. Look at the glass half full.

OP
thekid65

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
I'm not really "lipping out" too much...just missing by an inch or less. And as I think about it, it's defo more on the high side compared to the low. Which either means (to me) that either my putter face is slightly open..or as you guys say, my speed is a bit too firm (I'm usually past the hole, not short..but not by much..like I say 1'-2').

I think I may have a tendency to play more break than what's really there....but I guess that's where I'm not sure..whether it's my reads, my speed (I always thought one should give it enough to get a bit past the hole)...or my non squaring of the putter face. And that's where I'm confused..how does one really know what the actual problem may be, and what to focus on?

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Once you are missing on the high side, all it'll take is either taking the same speed and aiming a little lower, or taking the lines you are comfortable with and hitting it a touch softer. Whichever is easier for you.

As long as your putting stroke is semi-repeatable (open, closed, square, some derivative thereof) it should be the least of your worries. If you are getting the ball rolling, not skidding, then speed should be your main focus.

Line and speed are interconnected. But speed is much more important because you have a HUGE hole for the ball to fall into. It can fall in on the high side, it can fall in on the corner, it can horseshoe and go in, 360 and go in, low side corner, low side. Lots of room for error on your line.

But you only get one chance at speed. If your speed is good and consistent, then you should adjust your line a little lower. Meaning, if you are on the practice green practicing 15 footers and one goes 8 inches by, and the next goes 3 feet by, and the next goes 2 feet by, then the next is 1 inch short, your speed isn't consistent. Once your speed is consistent, say 3 practice balls within a foot of each other past the hole on the high side, then you'll know it is your line.

Finally, if you are worried about accidentally opening, get a custom fit belly putter. I'm using one now and you can't hardly go wrong with line.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've been burning the edges and lipping out for 2 years now. I've tried a plethora of putters, changed my grip numerous times, changed my stance, everything. I've finally accepted the fact that I just can't read greens.

Members online

No members online now.