1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can a ball switch make this kind of difference?

Discussion in 'Hacker's Anonymous' started by thekid65, May 11, 2012.

1. thekid65

thekid65 Well-Known Member

Towards the end of last season a buddy of mine gave me a couple of sleeves of slightly used Pro V1x's. I used them once or twice during the last rounds of the year and then I left them in my bag during the off season.

I used them during the first round of this year a couple of months ago. I noticed a significant length improvement. I'm talking 25-30yds off the tee, and perhaps an additional 15 yds with the irons. This has continued through the first 8 rounds or so I've played this year. In a way it's messing me up, as I'm flying a lot of greens so far..but I'll adjust.

Can a ball really make that type of a difference, or perhaps something unintentional has changed in my swing that I dont realize?

Either way, I'm liking the hell out of it, other than the cost of the balls.

2. VtDivot

VtDivot SLIGHTERED Supporting Member

short answer... no

3. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

United States United States
    Again...no.

4. anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic Refusing Recovery Supporting Member

For me the Pro V is longer than most other balls, but it's minimal. 25 to 30 yards is a lot to pick up from just switching balls. While you're hitting them well, you should try some other balls. I'm sure your swing has just changed.

5. SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno El Tigre Blanco

If you're going from a ball whose characteristics were absolutely horrible for you, to a ball that is absolutely perfect for you... Still unlikely. I've seen people go to softer balls and instantly pick up twenty yards though, so i won't say it is impossible.

6. Rockford35

Rockford35 Shark skin shoes Staff Member Admin

Canada Canada
    x2.

Fitting a ball to your swing type is an absolute necessity. Most people play 'whatever is cheap'. While being frugal isn't a sin, it's doing a disservice to your game if it's not matching to your swing characteristics.

If you don't compress the ball, you won't see any benefit to a distance type ball. Just as if you do compress the ball a lot, a softer ball will see distances go down.

Anyone that argues that balls don't make that much of a difference has either not been properly fit and seen the difference head to head or is just being plain ignorant. Finding an old Nike Tour or B330S and hitting it for a couple of holes just doesn't cut it.

R35

7. anonymous golfaholic

I totally agree with you. That being said, I've been buying used range and water balls for years to practice with and I don't see hardly any distance differences. I see big differences in feel though. Now if we're talking green-side spin, it's night and day between the good and the bad.

8. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
  9. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

Go through the Bridgestone ball test once. It's an eye opener.

10. Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away Well-Known Member

1) people say go the range to dial in your distance and how you hit your clubs etc. But how can you do this when you are hitting range balls vs. the ball you play? I mean range balls are typically beat up junk that probably share very little characteristics with your typical ball. I guess its more of just hitting the ball, and then figuring out your true distance on the course?

2) I should probably get my swing speed checked. I know I am not a long ball hitter, I found a party store (surprisingly), selling one-two time hit balls. Had 12 srixon z-stars for 17.99 in excellent shape. SO i bought em. Tried those out a while ago dont remember how much I liked or didnt like em. But after lookin i think the regular z's are for 105+mph? My swing speed isnt what it could be imo, but i try to gain speed in the wrong ways sometimes, and it throws me out of whack. Guess ill give em a shot, and see how it goes.

11. SilverUberXeno

The particular case i witnessed was a guy going from a pro v1x to a maxfli tour fire. This was back when max was it's own brand. The tour fire was a great lower compression ball that i gave him a sleeve of to try. On every hole, he was hitting it to places he had never been before. He had a bad back and couldn't swing so hard. Instantly, twenty more yards. He could not believe it. I expected improvement, but that was huge.

12. MIKE1218

MIKE1218 Top Bloke

I have to echo sux and rock on this. If the ball is too hard or soft for your swing, you won't see the best results. And a ball with more layers and a softer cover will probably work out a whole lot better around the greens, if you strike the ball well.

13. SilverUberXeno

This is a good point. You need to strike the ball in a way that induces compression to get the most out of it.

14. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

"25 to 30 yards"... "flying greens"... Sounds like you are seeing significant difference, even from your irons. "An additional 25 to 30 yards" sounds like an infomercial for The Hammer. I simply cannot believe you would see that much difference throughout the set. What I could believe is that you found a ball that better fit your swings and picked up 10 yards. Once you got to the 10 yard longer drive, a hefty foot wedge got you the other 20.

lamebums likes this.
  15. VtDivot

VtDivot SLIGHTERED Supporting Member

I did.

Complete waste of time. The fitted me based on my SS for the RXS. It's no longer the the B330s, which I prefer by a wide margin. They're all the same for hacks like us. If you think otherwise, I have a timeshare I'd like to sell you.

16. Golfanatic

Golfanatic Active Member

I dont know much about balls, but something that seems to make sense is if you were using crappy balls of the wrong compression for your swing speed, then changed to quality balls of the right compression for your swing speed that (in my mind) that it would add a noticeable amount of yardage.

I hit crap balls all the time and I can certainly tell a huge difference when I pull out a new ball that hasnt had the hell beat out of it and is more suited for my swing speed.
    They seem to fly straighter and have enough extra distance that you can actually tell it.

Just an observation...

17. Rockford35

Rockford35 Shark skin shoes Staff Member Admin

Canada Canada
    While the OP is citing length as the determining factor in ball choice, often confidence and ballflight can have a huge impact on length. I play the I(s) or the I(z) simply because it's extremely long off the tee, but it's also extremely stable in the wind. It's windy around here, so having the confidence to know that your ball isn't going to ride the wind 75 yards right allows me to settle in, drive through the ball with confidence and finish the swing without any thoughts of off line.

Dependability lends a lot to a proper and solid golf swing. And much of that stems from confidence in your ball.

That Bridgestone ball selector was a joke for me too. I like the B330S, it's a good ball. I played it for a time about 3 years ago. Just didn't hold up well for me. I actually might have some in the basement, come to think of it.

If you want to test some balls out, get out there and play them. Buy a sleeve, find what feels good for you and your game. Then, hunker down and buy a dozen. Work on your game at the range. Then, don't worry about losing a ball - just hit the shot.

R35

18. thekid65

thekid65 Well-Known Member

I shit you not, sir. I was probably a stock 250yds off the tee for quite a few years. Sure, every once in awhile, I'd "bust one". But now it seems that's the norm, and not the rare occurrence. My approaches were always 6-7-8 irons on par 4's on my home course. Now they are 9, PW, or GW. Sometimes just a SW. Strangely enough, I havent noticed hardly a difference at all in my SW, or LW. I agree, it's probably not completely the ball...perhaps the golf Gods blessed me with an unintentional swing modification during the off season.

19. anonymous golfaholic

You're a young guy, maybe you're just getting stronger.

20. LTCMARCPAUL

LTCMARCPAUL More demanding player's clubs / better golfer!

Just did the Bridgestone fitting. e6=staightest, 330RX=longest and e7=best "all'around" so, I played e7 last night for my weekly league 9 with the 330RX of the safe tee boxes and the e7 off the rest and shot a great round. There was little wind so the e6 might be a better bet if it does get windy. Pro V1's are longer for me but I can't control them.