• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Canadian fires

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Hope our ShotTalk friends to the North are okay. This has been Mother Nature at her worst. An entire town of 88,000 leveled. I've been extremely frustrated at our news media coverage of this disaster. Early on when people were being evacuated and their homes/businesses consumed by fire... every news channel spent their time talking about someone whose name begins with "T". Only in the last couple of days have we seen some time spent covering this fire. But, we've known our "news" media is more about dollars than human interest.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Hope our ShotTalk friends to the North are okay. This has been Mother Nature at her worst. An entire town of 88,000 leveled. I've been extremely frustrated at our news media coverage of this disaster. Early on when people were being evacuated and their homes/businesses consumed by fire... every news channel spent their time talking about someone whose name begins with "T". Only in the last couple of days have we seen some time spent covering this fire. But, we've known our "news" media is more about dollars than human interest.
I would like to agree with you, however they're a business. What do you expect?

When they see their ratings go up for a certain subject, and their bottom line relies on ratings, it's only logical.

Everyone blames the media...but at the root it's the people who watch the news causing the problem.

OP
MCDavis

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country

When they see their ratings go up for a certain subject, and their bottom line relies on ratings, it's only logical.

Everyone blames the media...but at the root it's the people who watch the news causing the problem.
I blame you.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

I don't think it's that easy. The media organisations have very effective and well resourced campaigns of influence over the general public. Their aim is to keep you anxious and glued to the couch watching.

The media organisations in my country are no different to yours. On a personal level I'm fighting back. I hardly watch any TV news or any pointless reality TV shows. My brain thanks me for it.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I don't think it's that easy. The media organisations have very effective and well resourced campaigns of influence over the general public. Their aim is to keep you anxious and glued to the couch watching.

The media organisations in my country are no different to yours. On a personal level I'm fighting back. I hardly watch any TV news or any pointless reality TV shows. My brain thanks me for it.
How do they know what keeps you glued to the TV? Ratings. When they get ratings on something specific, they know, and they keep doing it until they don't get ratings on it anymore and then they move on to whatever else they can get ratings with. It's a pretty simple business.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country

That's why Jerry Springer has a show.........................

1370.gif

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I really feel for the police/firemen/etc that have to leave their families and inhale that smoke for hours directing traffic so people can get out of there safely...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
@Rockford35 are the fires in your area, or Lyle's?

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I was....I dunno, saving children from a bus filling with water. Whatever.

The fires are NW of me quite a ways. We got the smoke down here pretty heavy for a while. Those guys in FM got lucky, the fire just skirted the city. It could have been way, way worse.

I work in an industry where a huge portion of our staff is in the northern wilderness for the entire summer collecting data. We know all too well the life and death scenario of forest fires. They're no joke. We had two camps evacuated last summer. It's drop your shit and get in the plane - NOW.

R35

OP
MCDavis

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I was....I dunno, saving children from a bus filling with water. Whatever.

The fires are NW of me quite a ways. We got the smoke down here pretty heavy for a while. Those guys in FM got lucky, the fire just skirted the city. It could have been way, way worse.

I work in an industry where a huge portion of our staff is in the northern wilderness for the entire summer collecting data. We know all too well the life and death scenario of forest fires. They're no joke. We had two camps evacuated last summer. It's drop your shit and get in the plane - NOW.

R35
Yeah, yeah...you were sheep shagging again I'm sure.

Glad you're ok. Is Lyle in that area?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online