• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Canadians look here please

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I will be in Canada on June 18-20 for a concert. I need to know if I can legally take a pocket knife along; will I be able to get through customs with it? It has a sub-3.5" blade if that makes a difference. The blade can be opened and closed with one hand. Carrying a knife is not necessary but it is a habit. just plain useful, use it everyday multiple times. But, can I legally carry it in Canada?

For all the sheeple: Yes, my knife is not useful at all for any everyday task and I only carry it to stab lots of people. If you look at me wrong I will definitely stab you. Thank you.

So, to all Canadians and anybody else who knows the knife laws of Canada, please advise me if possible. Thanks!

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
Just to be safe, you should pack it in your luggage, not carry-on or on your person for the flight to get through Customs. After that you should be safe with it in your pocket. I occasionally carry a 4 inch blade and never had a problem, then again, never been stopped by the cops.

What part of Canada as their maybe both Federal and Provincial laws. Use the Google.

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
Just to be safe, you should pack it in your luggage, not carry-on or on your person for the flight to get through Customs. After that you should be safe with it in your pocket. I occasionally carry a 4 inch blade and never had a problem, then again, never been stopped by the cops.

What part of Canada as their maybe both Federal and Provincial laws. Use the Google.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Thanks for the reply. Forgot to mention, not flying, I will be driving through border customs. Don't know if that makes a difference. I was planning to stick it in my pack before crossing over anyway. I will be in Windsor, Ontario.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
BSF5044 - Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada

You should be ok, but be sure to declare it at the border. Otherwise, it could be considered a concealed weapon.

I carry a leatherman with me daily, but leave it on any trips that cross the border. For the hassle, it's truly not worth it. Border agents are the worst scum you will ever come across (the US ones).

R35

Jun 24, 2006
Can you snap the blade out, or do you have to use your fingers? If it opens with the flick of the wrist, it's considered a prohibited weapon, and illegal to own/carry in Canada.

Pocket knives are fine as they don't fall into any of the categories that make a knife prohibited, except sometimes what I mentioned above. I'd recommend leaving it at home when you go out to the concert. You're probably not going to "need" it for anything and it could get you into more trouble than it's worth.

If a LEO asks, tell them you have a closed pocket knife in your pocket. If the CBSA ask if you have a weapon, tell them you have a "small closed pocket knife" in your luggage. They might want to see it, they might not. If you neglect to tell them about it, and they somehow find out about it, they will seize the knife and you won't get it back.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Thanks for more replies. The knife has a detent so it cannot be opened by flicking but can be opened very quickly with your thumb. I'm not sure if it would qualify for "flickable" or not because you could start it with your thumb then flick it open. I think the best course of action would be to leave it home. I can make do without. Sounds like the trouble of getting it there outweighs the benefit of easier opening of packages and what not.

Thanks gentlemen.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I have a jack knife (swiss army) on my key chain all the time. Has about a 3 inch blade, and numerous other attachments. I cross the border 50 times a year with it and have never had any issues in either direction.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I had my pocket knife with me, clipped in my pocket, both crossing into Canada, and back into the US...never had a problem.

Going into Canada was breeze...getting back into the states, the guy wanted to know why everyone in the car besides me had the same last name(i was with my fiancées family). Her dad says, 'Oh, we picked him up hitchhiking a few miles back'....the boarder dude was not amused in any form or fashion.

Opened the van door to check me out against my ID...pocket knife was in plain view....never had a problem. I never even thought about it. It was such a habit, i just clipped it and headed out like any other day.

Had it been brought up, i probably would have left it where i was staying.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.