• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"Career changing" light finally dawned...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
January 1977, slid off the roof of a metal building. Landed on my feet on frozen ground. Left tibia "blew up" at the knee. Split 3 corners off it. Orthopedic surgeon put 3 stainless steel screws in to "bolt" it back together. Those screws lasted until the total knee was replaced in 2009.

Took up this dastardly game in about 1983. Always favored that left knee and learned to deal with a reverse pivot so as to not put weight on it. As the knee got worse and a bone spur grew in the knee, the reverse pivot became really bad. Just couldn't put weight on the left knee and get shifted forward. But... I played on and on.

Once the knee was replaced, the pain is gone. Got to where I could shift weight a little, but old habits are hard to break. If I tried to overswing, the reverse pivot was accentuated and things would go waaaayyyy right. Don't know how many people I played with over the years that commented about how well I played for as bad as my swing looked.

This season, the groups I play with about half the time play from the "geezer tees". All of a sudden, it dawned on my that I didn't need to "kill" the ball to drive out there with them. This was no longer a bunch of long hitting flat-bellies. The "competition" was mid-60 to 80+ geezers who were only concerned with staying in the fairway and using their more than adequate short games. And, I began dialing back on my trying to out drive everyone.

As I concentrated more on simply putting the ball in play and assuming I could compete with these old-timers that way, slowly I began moving forward... through the ball. When I would play with the Saturday group and play from the back tees, I would revert to my old over-swing. During the week, with the "geezers", I would begin moving back through the ball. Then, I began to notice something.

If I slowed down and moved through the ball, I was actually not only out driving the old geezers but could actually compete with the young flat-bellies. At 70 years old, my driving has been the best this past few months that I've seen in 40 years playing this game. This past couple of days I have had more comments on my driving than I can ever remember. Yesterday, one of the guys couldn't believe the drive I hit coming in on 18. He GPS'd it at 255. At 70 years old, I cannot hit the ball that far... can I? Missed the eagle putt, after putting my second shot on the green. NEVER been on that green in two before.

Now, if I could have some "enlightening experience" with my putter...........
Old guys can be REALLY slow learners!!!!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.