• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cell phone trade in

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
ITs time to upgrade my phone, its an iPhone 4S 16GB. I hate to just get a new phone and have this one be a glorified paper weight so i am looking at trading it in.

There are a few websites out there that are offering decent money for old phones. Has anybody used any of these sites? Or have one you recommend?

My carrier (AT&T) offers like $40, the Apple Store is offering$50. This website is offering almost $100 though. Seems to good to be true. So what say you guys?

Sell iPhone and Get the Best Trade-in Deals - CashforiPhones

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
ITs time to upgrade my phone, its an iPhone 4S 16GB. I hate to just get a new phone and have this one be a glorified paper weight so i am looking at trading it in.

There are a few websites out there that are offering decent money for old phones. Has anybody used any of these sites? Or have one you recommend?

My carrier (AT&T) offers like $40, the Apple Store is offering$50. This website is offering almost $100 though. Seems to good to be true. So what say you guys?

Sell iPhone and Get the Best Trade-in Deals - CashforiPhones
Check consumer reports, if it's good, roll with it!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
If you're a Verizon customer, check their deals. We traded in 2 iPhone 4's and got 2 Samsung Galaxy S5's for free. My mom got an iPhone 6 for free on the same trade.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
If you're a Verizon customer, check their deals. We traded in 2 iPhone 4's and got 2 Samsung Galaxy S5's for free. My mom got an iPhone 6 for free on the same trade.
Yeah...I'm with AT&T so that's out.

How is the Galaxy? Looks huge to me. I really like the iPhone 4s I have but with the latest updates it gets wonky.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Yeah...I'm with AT&T so that's out.

How is the Galaxy? Looks huge to me. I really like the iPhone 4s I have but with the latest updates it gets wonky.
both boys and my wife love it! My son who went from iPhone 4 to S5 says the phone and platform are better than iPhone and that he will not go back.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Love my Galaxy S5. Battery life is downright amazing. 36 hours easy...if I don't play games I can make it last 48 hours. Can even make it better than that if you want to void your warranty.

I've never owned an iPhone, but I have used them while testing my software at work. There's nothing wrong with them, especially if you don't want to customize or tinker with your gadgets...or do any upgrades...or replace a battery...or pay reasonable prices for the hardware...or do basically anything other than a specific set of actions deemed appropriate by your overlords at Apple. For most people that's perfectly fine.

There are plenty of drawbacks with Android as well. Honestly, for 99% of the population, they will never know the difference between the two other than the obvious user interface differences. If you're invested in Apple products and Apps, you might as well stick with them. Likewise if you're invested in Android products and apps, stick with them. There's not any obvious winner for the recreational user.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
As far as the selling the phone thing...makes me wonder...

I would probably just wipe it, and sell it on craigslist personally. Unless I was getting an outrageous trade in from a reputable seller.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
As far as the selling the phone thing...makes me wonder...

I would probably just wipe it, and sell it on craigslist personally. Unless I was getting an outrageous trade in from a reputable seller.
I have an option with AT&T to request my phone be unlocked. I assume that means it can then be used in other carriers if I sell it on eBay or Craigslist?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
My old Motorola Droid Razr Maxx finally started crapping out, so I went back on Verizon today and got a Galaxy S5. Great phone! And by porting in my prepaid non-Verizon # to my wife's account, and using the Verizon Edge deal, I'm getting the phone for free AND getting a $150 bill credit. It's costing us $40 to add me, which is what I was paying my prepaid carrier. So, brand new S5 for no money and no increase in expenses.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
My old Motorola Droid Razr Maxx finally started crapping out, so I went back on Verizon today and got a Galaxy S5. Great phone! And by porting in my prepaid non-Verizon # to my wife's account, and using the Verizon Edge deal, I'm getting the phone for free AND getting a $150 bill credit. It's costing us $40 to add me, which is what I was paying my prepaid carrier. So, brand new S5 for no money and no increase in expenses.
That is winning my friend!

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
What is the Edge deal?

My wife upgraded to an iPhone 6, just seems to big to me. Not crazy about any of my options really. I like my 4s. Problem is that with all the iOS update BS, battery life is an hr max if I'm lucky.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
What is the Edge deal?

My wife upgraded to an iPhone 6, just seems to big to me. Not crazy about any of my options really. I like my 4s. Problem is that with all the iOS update BS, battery life is an hr max if I'm lucky.
On the Edge program, you pay full retail for your phone over 24 months. S5 is $25/month. But, since my wife/stepsons are on a 10GB shared plan, we get a $25/month bill credit for porting my non-Verizon # to Verizon on her account. That credit lasts as long as I stay on the account. Also, we get a $150 bill credit for the same reason. So, the $150 = 6 months, we let the $25/month cover the first 18 months, and I'm getting my S5 for no money as long as I stay on the plan for 18 months. This is no problem since I've been a Verizon customer for over 10 years (my prepaid was a Verizon reseller as well).

On the size: I moved from the Droid to the S5. My Droid was basically the same size as your 4s, my S5 basically the same as the iPhone 6. Doesn't bother me at all, actually kind of like it. Yes, it's bigger, but not too big for me.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
On the Edge program, you pay full retail for your phone over 24 months. S5 is $25/month. But, since my wife/stepsons are on a 10GB shared plan, we get a $25/month bill credit for porting my non-Verizon # to Verizon on her account. That credit lasts as long as I stay on the account. Also, we get a $150 bill credit for the same reason. So, the $150 = 6 months, we let the $25/month cover the first 18 months, and I'm getting my S5 for no money as long as I stay on the plan for 18 months. This is no problem since I've been a Verizon customer for over 10 years (my prepaid was a Verizon reseller as well).

On the size: I moved from the Droid to the S5. My Droid was basically the same size as your 4s, my S5 basically the same as the iPhone 6. Doesn't bother me at all, actually kind of like it. Yes, it's bigger, but not too big for me.
Good deal! Maybe I should look into switching...

Members online

No members online now.