• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Charley Hoffman: 'This Was My Hardest One'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States

CHARLEY HOFFMAN MADE A 9-FOOT birdie putt on the final hole to win the Valero Texas Open on Sunday.

The 39-year-old Hoffman closed with a 3-under 69 at TPC San Antonio for a one-stroke victory over Patrick Reed. Hoffman finished at 12-under 276 and earned $1,116,000 for his fourth PGA TOUR victory.

"This was my hardest one," Hoffman said after a vigorous fist-pump and drill-team leg kick when the winning putt fell at 18. "Grabbing that lead and holding on to it -- it's tough to keep the pedal down and give yourself birdie opportunities and win golf tournaments."

(Source: Valero Texas Open email)

Olympics Controversy

Adam Scott has dropped out. So has Vijay Singh. And also Louis Oosthuizen. Golf is returning to the Olympics after a very, very long absence, but these marquee players will not be in Rio de Janeiro, according to carefully worded statements.

I've been trying to decide what I think about this. My knee-jerk reaction: They should play; they should represent their countries. It's an honor and a privilege. I've also considered this: Who am I to say what Adam Scott should do? And, does it make any difference that they are professionals rather than amateurs?

I recall when the Olympics was only for amateur athletes, with a focus on sportsmanship while competing for medals, and about promoting goodwill between nations. How do pro athletes enter into the Olympics equation? I still wonder.

Brian Keogh, quoting European Ryder Cup captain Paul McGinley and others, has penned a thoughtful piece on the "anti-Olympics brigade." The old guard such as Johnny Miller and Jack Nicklaus think Scott's decision is regrettable. Read Keogh.

I cannot begin to fathom what it's like to be Adam Scott. Still, it's hard to understand why he can't carve out time for the Olympics, even if he'd rather not be bothered. Obviously, it doesn't come along often. It's an opportunity to be an ambassador for the sport and his country, a once-in-a-lifetime deal.

Why not play this one time instead of talking about his busy schedule?

I like Scott. I like the way he conducts himself. I don't understand his Olympics decision. I do understand it's his business. Hopefully, he'll understand the disappointment from his fans and countrymen.

Source: Charley Hoffman: 'This Was My Hardest One'

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I can't understand Vijay Singh dropping out of the olympics. It's a once in a life time opportunity. Adam Scott on the other hand, I can but for non-obvious reasons. He'll never be accused of playing too much golf. His schedule is always light compared the others. The Olympics would be an annoyance rather than an honour.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I read (or heard) somewhere when Scott dropped out of the Olympics, and they made it sound quite reasonable. It said that these athletes (golfers) have been focusing their whole lives on winning the Masters, or winning a US Open or winning The Open Championship, or winning the PGA, or a Ryder Cup... winning golf's greatest events. Golf has been out of the Olympics for so long that professional golfers never even contemplated the possibility of competing in the event, so why start now?

Personally, I think professional golfers competing in the Olympics is a dumb idea. There's a reason it has been absent for a hundred and whatever years.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I love anything golf, even the Olympics, but I can see it being axed in future.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
There was a time that only amateur athletes could rep their country in the Olympics. I'd like to see that return. Leave the professionals to their money-making-I-don't have-time-to-represent-my-country attitudes.

Oh, and way to go Hoffman! Making a BIG putt on the final hole to win is always a crowd-pleaser.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
The amateur angle is gone. There is too much money in sports.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online