• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleveland CBX Wedges

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Only one round in with the CBX 52 degree wedge. After a couple more rounds, will decide if I want to match it with a 58 degree.
My wedges were probably the oldest clubs in the bag, bag longevity wise. They were Cleveland Zip Groove wedges from 5+ years ago. I've carried a 52/58 combo quite a while. Haven't been displeased with the current wedges, though they were getting pretty worn. And, when you get handed a new wedge FREE....
Right off the bat noticed the additional bite from the CBX. This could well be due to the wear on the existing wedges. Still, I don't remember the current wedges ever grabbing like this one.
The 52 degree fits in as a gap wedge. The wide flange and slightly larger face gives you the confidence for a full swing or allows easy half-swing chips. Once I got used to the added bite, was putting chip shots right next to the pin.
These wedges are NOT for everyone. If you are used to lots of finagling of wedges... laying open for flop shots, etc... you may not get along with these. Yet, if you just want a wedge where you can point it at a target and put the ball there, this one worked well for me.
Will add experiences as more rounds are enjoyed with the CBX.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Did you use this in the sand?
Nope. One of those days that I did not end up in a trap. We only have about 10 or 12 on the course. Some days, you get to know a number of them on a first name basis. Other days, luck strikes and you don't need to play out of them.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The "new" still seems to be there, but am adjusting. Like it so much will probably order the 58 to go with it this coming week. Crisp. Balls stop dead. Larger clubface gives added confidence. The bounce that some don't like seems to work well, even off hardpan. It's a "gap wedge". It's not a wedge to try sliding under the ball and make "trick shots" with. Point it at the flag and it goes straight.
Still have not been in the sand to see how it works there.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
The "new" still seems to be there, but am adjusting. Like it so much will probably order the 58 to go with it this coming week. Crisp. Balls stop dead. Larger clubface gives added confidence. The bounce that some don't like seems to work well, even off hardpan. It's a "gap wedge". It's not a wedge to try sliding under the ball and make "trick shots" with. Point it at the flag and it goes straight.
Still have not been in the sand to see how it works there.

You are beginning to peak my interest...

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Okay. For me, the CBX is a keeper. Two sand saves this morning. One of those lacked about 4" from being a birdie out of the sand. Chipped in on one hole from just off the green. The best one, though, was on 18. I hit a fair drive. My second shot did not bend around the dogleg like it should have. Third shot was 85 out with a tall tree in front of me guarding the green. Not comfortable trying an 85 yard punch shot that can't get more than 4 feet off the ground to stay beneath branches. So, only option is to try lifting the 52 degree CBX over the tree. Knowing the bounce was there, my fear was trying to elevate the ball and skull it 10 yards over the green. Set it just a tad forward of my normal wedge position. Put a smooth swing on it. Ball cleared the tree by a few feet, landed 5 feet short of the hole and barely bounced out of it's ball mark. Stopped dead. My birdie putt was one of the lip-outs.
Now, my only issue is whether or not to order a 58. I've been playing the 52 from anywhere, even from the sand bunkers. Afraid that if I do put a 58 in the bag I will fall victim to ego and try to use it in places the 52 would have been easier to control.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Did you use this in the sand?
So I answer him, "I haven't played out of the sand yet. We don't have many sand bunkers on our course and I seldom get into them." Evidently, WBL planted something in my subconscious. I've been in more traps since he asked than for weeks/months before. Today, I was in three traps!!!!! Sand save out of one of them. Bogey out of the other two. Think I'm hexed.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Limp, I have a 52 and 58. My 58 is used most heavily out of sand or close to the green when I need to put the ball up in the air. Other than than the 52 gets the most work.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Limp, I have a 52 and 58. My 58 is used most heavily out of sand or close to the green when I need to put the ball up in the air. Other than than the 52 gets the most work.
I'm in no hurry to get 58 to go with the 52. That, of course, was my original plan. The 52 just hasn't been a problem, even from greenside bunkers. Where I am having some difficult is getting the ball to the hole on greenside chips. The ball wants to check up much quicker than I am used to. Just cannot get in my mind how close to the hole I need to throw the ball with this club. May have to go to a less lofted club... or, put the old 52 back in for those longer chips.

🔥 Latest posts