• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleveland Launcher

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
There's one on at mo on Ebay UK. £42-95 it is sitting at at mo with under 18 hours to go. Has been used for 9 holes - allegedly - and is 9.5 degrees with a Graphaloy Blue shaft.

I have the exact same driver, but with a stock Fujikara shaft. Reckon this one is worth bidding on, and that the Blue is that much of a better shaft ? Bear in mind I play on a Links course.

Opinions...?

Thanks

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Don't know if the Blue is right for ya but I do think that stock gold shaft is crap. At least it is for me in my Launcher fairway metal.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Why do ya think that, mate ? What do you think is the problem with it, or what ?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I personally liked the Stock shaft in the driver. The Stiff flex needed to be loaded a little less than my Blue, but it sure hammered that pill out there. To each thier own, obviously.

The Blue is a love it or hate it shaft. You can either cream the snot outta the ball with it or it feels like rebar in your hands. I would recommend having a test drive with a driver with a Blue installed before jumping on one. I would really say that it's 50/50 with those that like and dislike it.

I love mine, if that means anything.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Andy_79 said:
Why do ya think that, mate ? What do you think is the problem with it, or what ?

This is just my opinion but it doesn't feel consistent. Not that all my shots go where I intend but the driver and 3 wood I have the with Aldila shafts are much more predictable. I'm trading that 5 wood in for whatever I buy next. Thought about resafting it but it's not worth enough to spend the money on it.

No doubt my opinion is biased because I'm not a big fan of the Launcher drivers anyway but I like the Blue or the Aldila NV shafts better. That ugly gold shaft is ok I'm sure but it seems to me that a playa like yourself would benefit from one of the better quality shafts.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
If you can crank it, you should be able to handle the Blue. Like I said before, if you prefer a softer shaft, get the NV. If still and control is your thing, than the Blue should be fine.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Yeah, the Blue is defo for me - every driver I have used with the 'S' in it, I have liked and pounded. The club I speak of, however, is now up to 92 pounds plus postage, and as I am off on my hols in a few days, I feel I might be better off reshafting with a brand-new Blue when and if I feel like it. Can get one at cost, so think that is the way I'm gonna do it. Think they're £35/£40 cost price which is considering better than spending 85 or so fitted. Just do it meself n' it'll be gran
P>
Cheers for the comments, lads....</P>

the hummer

Leftygolfer
Nov 9, 2005
I pick up a 10.5* Cleveland Launcher 460 with an R-flex Grafalloy Blue shaft earlier this year. My clubhead speed is approximately 107-110 mph. I usually play S-flex shafts with 9.5* heads, but the Blue seemed to be stiffer than most. Well the R-flex with the high lofted Launcher was a definite match. I improved on my lanuch angle, control and distance. I absolutely love the head and shaft combination.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
the hummer said:
I pick up a 10.5* Cleveland Launcher 460 with an R-flex Grafalloy Blue shaft earlier this year. My clubhead speed is approximately 107-110 mph. I usually play S-flex shafts with 9.5* heads, but the Blue seemed to be stiffer than most. Well the R-flex with the high lofted Launcher was a definite match. I improved on my lanuch angle, control and distance. I absolutely love the head and shaft combination.

See, I've always wanted to try a combo like this.

However, I'm one of these guys that hits a normal draw drive of about 285ish, and once in a while after a shitty 3 putt, I just have to crank it up a notch and i fear the regular would leave it out to the right.

I'm gonna try and find a Launcher with a regular in it for a demo in the spring. Good call, Hummer.

R35

the hummer

Leftygolfer
Nov 9, 2005
Rockford35 said:
See, I've always wanted to try a combo like this.

However, I'm one of these guys that hits a normal draw drive of about 285ish, and once in a while after a shitty 3 putt, I just have to crank it up a notch and i fear the regular would leave it out to the right.

I'm gonna try and find a Launcher with a regular in it for a demo in the spring. Good call, Hummer.

R35

Hey Rock,

Last year up until mid-summer of this year, I was swapping back and forth between my 9.5* Titleist 983K with an S-flex Aldila NV65 shaft, and my 10* Callaway GBB II with an S-flex Grafalloy Blue Pro Launch 65 shaft. My tendency with both clubs were low to mid trajectory ball flights with straight to fade shot patterns. My misses were snap hooks...but we won't go there. Overall, the Callaway gave up a little distance, but was much easier to control.

Although I was somewhat content with the Callaway GBB II/S-flex Grafalloy Pro Launch combination, I was on a mission to hit a mid to high trajectory ball with a straight to draw shot pattern.

On separate occasions, I was able to try a local Pro's 10.5* Cobra 454 Comp with an X-flex Grafalloy Blue NT Prototype and a local club member's 10.5* Cobra SZ 460 with a Mitsubishi SL45 shaft stock shaft. To my surprise, I hit both clubs with a relatively high ball flight with straight shot pattern. I didn't expect to get around quick enough with the 454 Comp/X-flex Grafalloy Blue NT Prototype combo as it would be too boardy. It seemed OK, however, I would never consider putting in an X-flex though. The 460 SZ/Mitsubishi SL45 combo definitely felt too light, noodley and mushy. All in all the Cobra 454 Comp and 460 SZ heads were considerations.

Then one day at the range, my buddy let me try his Cleveland 460/R-flex Fujikura stock shaft combo. This combo delivered great results. I was pleasantly surprised with the stock shaft. My previous experiences with these shafts were noddley and mushy...resulting in too much shot dispersion.

At that point I was definitely sold on the Cleveland 460 head...but not entirely with that shaft. My first instinct was to combine it with the S-flex Grafalloy Blue Pro Launch 65 (which I had good experiences with), but decided to go with an R-flex Grafalloy Blue. The reason was that the 10.5* Cleveland Launcher 460 hits high to begin with and I didn't need a shaft that launched high. The R-flex Blue was as stiff as most S-flexes, and launched the ball lower. As a result of the head/shaft combo, I was able to launch it higher than ever, I had better control and I obtained more distance. Additionally, the head promoted a straight ball to a draw pattern.

Rock, is your 285 yard drive all carry or carry with roll? If your swing speed is about 112 to 115 mph, this combo may work pretty well for you as well. Good luck and let me know what happens.

Stan Hum
Cornwall, ON

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Funny you guys mentioned that combo, I was thinking about that just yesterday. While I dig my NV65, I'd be interested in trying a Blue R for kicks.

I'd probably stick with the 9.5 Launcher 460 head though, keep it down a bit because I get crazy high launch with a 10.5.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Imo the Blue plays stiffer than stiff and the tip is stiffer than a tipper,and the shaft needs to some loading,apparently this is due to something called a kick-point and some torques.

I prefer the Prolaunch

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Dave dot, you really wanna try & sample the new Blue NT Comp Prototype shaft. It is a tad stiffer than the Prolaunch, espesh at the tip, though there is more 'give' than with the Graphaloy Blue. I can get said shaft for 40 pounds, and considering it is 85/90 retail, is a damn good deal. It is also running a smidgen more expensive than the Blue, so its quality is virtually undoubted. Not sure what to do, though - I might just get a load of grips off this guy instead.
I hit my current driver set-up very well, and considering there might turn out to be a very unnoticable difference in distance, etc, it may turn out to be wasted effort. Might just keep my options open for a new driver.
What about the Launcher Comp with a top-rate shaft, folks......?

Don't ya just luuuuuuuurve talking golf equipment ?!?? :) :D :)

the hummer

Leftygolfer
Nov 9, 2005
dave. said:
Imo the Blue plays stiffer than stiff and the tip is stiffer than a tipper,and the shaft needs to some loading,apparently this is due to something called a kick-point and some torques.

I prefer the Prolaunch

Dave.

Yes in my experience, the Blue does play stiffer that most other S-flex shafts. In fact the R-flex Blue feels stiffer than my S-flex Pro Launch. Although the Blue is a medium to soft tip, its kick point is mid to high. I believe the Pro Launch kick point is mid to low. Regardless, I do like both of the shafts characteristics given the proper shaft flex and head combo.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.