1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"Climbing the walls" entertainment

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by limpalong, Jan 30, 2018.

1. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

United States United States
    These winter days when golf is out of the question stink! We've played something like 4 rounds this January and it looks like that might be it. So... what do we do to occupy the time we would normally be on the course? Let's see....

• Extend putter shaft 1". My Ping putters are 35" but are about an inch longer than my 35" Scotty. Seems as if I bend over too far with the Scotty. So... putting a 1" extension in. Something to do.
    • Read posts on the "most authoritative" golf discussion board on the 'net. There, we learn so much. Many "real players" hit their fairway woods "280 with a slight draw". Nothing out of the ordinary. Also, we find that your local do-it-yourselfer club maker has equipment that can measure lofts of a driver much more accurately than any renowned club manufacturer. The equipment in his/her garage is accurate enough to tell 1/2 degree differences in driver loft from what is stamped on it. We also can read the accolades for each manufacturer's latest releases, those accolades confirming the added accuracy... added distance... better feel... less/more spin... etc. And, we learn that if you don't play a "Tour" shaft in your clubs you will never play this game to your fullest potential.
    • After spending years out on the road wondering when you could retire and spend more time at home, it seems you hear the resounding "Don't you have someplace to go?" phrase uttered often by the wife.
    • Still head out to the course almost each morning to drink coffee with the "geezers". There, we don't talk politics since fisticuffs between the aged is frowned upon. We talk "Tiger" and the weather and local news and pee a lot.
    Oh, well. Heading out to play today. Supposed to be 45 degrees by noon with 30 to 40 mph wind. Couldn't ask for a better day to play golf.

2. GMMWICKED

GMMWICKED New Member

I feel your boredom. Last week it was beautiful Mon-Friday and then rained all weekend. Ugh. Can’t wait for March, might still be cool but at least have some extra daylight.

limpalong likes this.
  3. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    You'll probably see IrishGolfer walking around in a pair of speedos. Positively balmy.

4. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

oh, HELL no..................

MCDavis likes this.
  5. Louie_T07

Louie_T07 Well-Known Member

Canada Canada
    Feeling your pain Limp, lately the only excitement I get, is from playing with my new snowblower. So far this winter, it has been my best purchase to date!!

Glad you got your putter project complete, I too finished my tinkering the other day. Final length was 36. The weight came out with little to no trouble, even saved the grip, which was my only real concern. Need some more snow to go before I can be outside practicing, but carpet practice has been very promising!

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  6. PaPaD

why?

7. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

I bought a new one last year. It's getting lot's of use the last few days. So easy and fast to move that snow. I've got the cab for it so I don't get covered with snow.

31BM53TR710_product_detail_zoom.

TheTrueReview and Louie_T07 like this.
  8. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    Mine is a Yardworks from Canadian Tire. 24” 208cc, it’s a little brute. And sure beats a shovel!!

9. PaPaD

If you're bored, bing-watching Netflix is fun. We just finished Peaky Blinders, Stranger Things and are now on Altered Carbon.

10. limpalong

Mine is a plastic, electric version. In the 4 years of so I've had it, used it about twice. When used, it works. When not needed, it collects dust since we don't see that much snow.

Louie_T07 likes this.
  11. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    I believe I can speak for all Canadians. I wish that was my problem!! My snowblower might see some dust in June!

limpalong likes this.
  12. limpalong

Like I tell folks... When I met my wife about 53 years ago, I visited her relatives in Minnesota. Thought, "What a great place to retire. Snowmobiling... Ice fishing... " As the years have accumulated, I want NOTHING to do with Minnesota... or farther north!!! I understand why "snowbirds" go south for the winter. We enjoy plenty of winter here, and sometimes even too much. The fewer times I have to use my "plastic" snow blower, the better it is!!!!

13. limpalong

"Climbing the walls", this winter, has been minimized by my "part time" work. For the past few months, have been substitute teaching in what would be defined as a vocational school. Working with students, ages 17 to 22, from some very challenging environments. These kids, if they get their attitudes right and focus on the training, will be the plumbers and carpenters and building maintenance personnel and security technicians and dental assistants of tomorrow. One of the biggest challenges for me is a 71 year old communicating with 17 year olds who have never had any respect for "authority". In a classroom of 20, a third are very dedicated to learning a trade and will make someone an excellent employee. A third are "marginal". The hopes are that they will get their heads on straight... and keep them on... and have a productive career. The other third will never leave the life of "thugery" and entitlement. Trying to keep the last third somewhat under control so they don't disrupt the other two-thirds is durn near impossible.
    Much of the work is attempting to instill a work ethic and demeanor where, if they get a good job, they will be able to keep that good job. "Pull your pants up!!" "If I hear language like that one more time, you're out of here!" "That shirt is not acceptable. Either go put on proper business attire or you will be marked absent today." "Shut off the cell phone. If I hear it one more time, it goes in my office for the rest of the day!" And even the "experience" of this past Thursday when a 17 year old young 'lady' decided to remove her shirt during class.
    The school has asked and begged for me to go to at least 4 days/week and possibly 5. NO!! I'm retired! I believe in the mission, but I ain't gonna spend ALL my retirement in a very wearing and exhausting job. I don't "need" the work. I am only doing this because we've lost our trades and crafts. We need good trained dedicated professionals in the trades. Everyone isn't cut out to sit in a cubicle on a computer keyboard all day. Everyone isn't cut out to spend years on a college campus.
    Spending a few day's week with these kids certainly makes one realize just how blessed we are. Would recommend it to anyone as an opportunity to experience the challenges a significant segment of today's youth are facing. Would NOT recommend it to anyone with little or no patience........... I've found myself taking so many "deep breaths" I'm almost light-headed.

Still better than sitting in a recliner all day when you can't play golf!!!!!!

14. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

I couldn't do it limp. I'd have killed some of them by now.

15. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

Hell yeah!