1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Fittings Question

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by Louie_T07, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Louie_T07

Louie_T07 Well-Known Member

Canada Canada
    To be perfectly honest, your advice, knowledge and friendly banter has been priceless!! So I’m kinda glad its free! One of the first things I decided early on in this adventure was to gift him a Scotty Cameron. Likely a Christmas gift or a birthday. I’m hoping to talk his son into helping with the bill... but if not, myself and the grandkids can! For now I’m just going to enjoy the time out with him, enjoying this confusing game we both love and sooner or later, he just might listen...??

Limp, you started off so shaky there preaching all this old geezer nonsense, but then you wrap it all up with some serious wisdom... hahaha well done sir!!

2. Hoganman1

Hoganman1 Active Member

United States United States
    You are a great son-in-law to even be doing this. I remember helping my father-in-law get a new set back in the 90s.
    The irons were King Cobra knock-offs called King Snakes and the driver, three and five metals were real King Cobras.
    He loved them and actually made a hole-in-one shortly after he got them. Sadly, he died in 2003 at 73. The clubs are still around somewhere. I gave them to my nephew who was his oldest grandson. My son didn't need them as he gets all of my cast-offs. Keep us posted on how your search goes.

Louie_T07 likes this.
  3. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    I believe Limp handled the reasoning for why I’m doing this. He’s the father of the wonderful woman who agreed to spend her life with me and who’s gifted me three amazing little ones!! Well that and the fact I’m a filthy golf addict and I enjoy getting other people golf stuff probably even more than getting myself anything...

Stay tuned, it may take me a while!!

limpalong likes this.
  4. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    WELL... he went out and bought himself a putter off Kijiji last night. My father-in-law called me after he picked it up. Is it a Scotty you ask? No. Is it a drop dead sexy blade that he claims to only be able to use? Also no. He doesn’t even know the length... But it looks “fancy.” LOL oh man!!

There’s nothing wrong with scoring a $100 putter. Let me say that first. He came home with a TM daddy long legs... I just don’t get him!?!?

5. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Lol, to each their own.

6. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    He is very much his own!! LOL

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  7. jhmeg2

jhmeg2 Well-Known Member

If I can give my $0.02... go out and play 9 or 18 with him, and take notes. FIRs, GIRs, putts, up and down (from 40-60yds) U/D from bunkers, and putts. Did he miss fairways left, or right? Greens, left, right, over, or short? Was he mentally committed to each shot? Did he make good contact with each shot? WHERE was contact on the club face? This is a big part of a good fitting, knowing what areas need to be addressed. He says he's still strong enough for "stiff" shafts, but is he really? Remember, even though a shaft is labeled as "stiff" it can CPM to a senior... if you have a good fitter/builder, they can find shafts that are labeled "stiff" and make them play softer, or where he actually needs them and still "think" he is playing a stiff. No harm there. As someone said, look at an update of the clubs he was playing. That may make it a bit more comfortable for him. Having the clubs fit him mentally, is as important as them fit him physically. I know that I like a thin top line iron, but for a few years I was hitting clubs that were pretty fat. I hit them better and I played well, but just never got comfortable. Also, it can be REALLY odd for someone to get fit properly, and have the clubs be longer or shorter, square or offset, lighter or heavy, heavier but with a lighter swing weight or vice versa, or even a different size or style grip. There is SO much equipment out there. First do irons. Finding an iron head he likes is one thing, then.... getting the shaft that is best physically AND mentally for optimal results. Then do driver. Its really just a head he likes looking at and the feel of. The ball is only going so far because of COR. Then get the shaft that yields the best control and then distance. Next, fill in the yardage gaps. A three metal, a 5 metal or hybrid, same approach head then shafts. Then move to wedges, working your way down in yardage. It takes time, and can be more physically draining getting fit than actually playing. Either way, good luck. If you know someone that is a professional, and know how to fit someone that can go with you, may be better than the kid at the store that may not really have the knowledge or experience to be thorough. Good luck. Let me know if I can help in some way.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Louie_T07 likes this.
  8. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    My FIL, BIL and I finally got out to play this past weekend, unfortunately it was a very short round due to some severe weather. But I was able to bring home some notes and takeaways from the few holes we did get in. He was 0/4 FIR, 0/5 GIR with 8 putts before weather horns ended our round. His big miss is to the right. Off the tee and approaching the green. Not very often will he be long with a shot, I think because he underclubs trying to muscle a lot of his shots. I also know he struggles with committing to the shot, because he will say it all the time, “I know what to do, but I stand over the ball and my mind just does something else!”

He also took several mulligans in the few holes we got in. Each time the second attempt was so much improved from the first whack... that added greatly to his frustrations. The bright note was his random putter purchase. He was putting pretty well with it. The putter is 38” long so he gets to stand up a bit helping his back!! He also seemed very pleased with it which was great!

I wish we coulda finished the nine, to have have a score. It wouldn’t have been pretty I don’t think. But I didn’t play that well either so...

9. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

See if you could get him to read Pennick's "Little Red Book". And, see if your local library has a copy of the ancient "Swing Easy, Hit Hard" book by Julies Boros. Both have good advice on overcoming the "hit" mentality.

Louie_T07 likes this.
  10. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    Funny enough, I just started to reread the Little Red Book for I’m not sure how many times now. But just days before we got out to try and play. My FIL is very much an aging “Banger” who just can’t smash it with the young kids anymore. Even though he thinks it and has no trouble telling you he can... but walking the walk left him years ago!! I’m going to loan him Pennick’s book immediately and look for Boros as well.

11. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    130!!! He text me this afternoon, went out with the next door neighbour, played the course he grew up on and my FIL shot 130... Ugh!! I’m almost at a loss for words here, not even sure what to say?!?!

12. limpalong

Can't you interest him in checkers... or shuffleboard.... or pickle ball? Anything but golf!!!!:D If he's taking mulligans, etc. the 130 may have been closer to 150. I simply cannot fathom playing a round with someone taking that many strokes. But... I guess if you divide the green fees by 130, his cost per shot was pretty low....

13. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    I cannot attest to what happened today, not even really sure I want to know... I received a text message around 1 saying, “you know how a bad round has to be seen through until the end? Well kicking and screaming I did. For a 130. Was really hoping to better my 60 on the front.” It took me a good 45 minutes before I could respond...

We played last weekend and he shot 105. I would say that’s a little more typical his score. But even I question it’s validity at times.

limpalong and BigJim13 like this.
  14. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    So I’ve had a few days to cool down and digest this horrific round from my FIL. Now I’m left wondering, what do I do now??

15. bdcrowe

bdcrowe ST Homeland Security

Buy him a croquet mallet.

Louie_T07 and BigJim13 like this.
  16. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    I did ask him if knitting was an option!?

bdcrowe likes this.
  17. limpalong

He's still trying to play clubs that don't come anywhere close to fitting his swing/capabilities. And, the ego thing has him determined not to club up. If you can't change his attitude... you may just have to suffer with him.
    Tour Edge makes sets where the irons are all similar to hybrids. They also make offset drivers to assist in correcting someone's bad slice. Prices fairly, the TE clubs carry a lifetime warranty. If you could ever talk him into a complete set with regular flex graphite shafts, I think he would thank you after one or two rounds.
    As far as coming up short on everything... he needs to play with a group of geezers! One of our guys hits a 7 iron from 100 yards. Another will use his 5-wood if over 100 yards. And... they both will score in the mid to upper 80's due to their short games. I'm getting to where 150 yards is a stretch from my 5-iron. As age takes its toll, the distance just seems to go away. Suck up the ego and play what you can score with!!! But... a young flat belly may have trouble convincing an old geezer...'cause y'all youngun's jest need to respect your elders and not question what we do!!!! :>)

18. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

Why do you have to do anything? Is he asking you to help? If he's not, and is ok with continuing to play in the low 100's, let him be. All meant nicely, btw...I can see where that could be read otherwise.

19. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    Any and all advice is helpful at this point, so its appreciated however its meant! I’m asked constantly for help, advice, “what do you think about this or that.” I honestly feel that his daughter and I getting together reignited his love or interest in the game that had kinda faded away before his retirement. But I think much of it is the fact the stubborn old geezer has a real hard time listening to this young flat belly. Even if its only for his own benefit.

This experiment is by no means over, I’m not giving up that easily. My FIL is stubborn AF, but he has proven to listen from time to time. It just takes him a little while, almost a year before he listened about a putter... so there’s hope and lucky for him, I’ve got all kinds of time. But he has been put on notice, when my son starts beating him, he’s on his own. So he better hurry up and listen!!

MCDavis likes this.
  20. bdcrowe

bdcrowe ST Homeland Security

The "club up" part is so important! My ego cost me for far too long.

At the beginning of the summer, I decided to play by "how far will I most likely hit this?" instead of "how far do I think I should be able to hit this?". Been quietly logging my rounds in my phone's golfing/yardage/score app. Monday afternoon after logging my round, I happened to look at the handicap it has me at now. It's down to like a 9.4.

I genuinely consider that one decision about club selection to be the biggest factor in currently having the lowest handicap in my life.

BigJim13 and Louie_T07 like this.