• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Fittings Question

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I’m very much a student of the game, always have been ever since catching the bug. Consider myself self taught and think I can hold my own on just about any course put in front of me... now I just sound like blowhard, but I know a little bit I guess.

Like WBL said exactly happened with my father-in-law 25 years ago. He was fitted by one of the best head pros in London ON. At the time he was also 25 years younger, played hockey three times a week and in a weekend softball league. But now he’s 63 and that head pro sadly is no longer with us. Might sound bad, but I think that club fitting died with that golf pro...

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
United States United States
What brand of clubs is your father-in-law playing now? Trying an updated version of what worked 25 years ago is probably a good place to start. Also, there's no question graphite shafts are good, but if he likes steel; I'd stick with that for now. I'm 70 and still play steel because I like the feel. Us old guys can be stubborn. I don't play hybrids either although everyone tells me how great they are. I've tried them, but prefer my five wood and four iron. Take it slow with making changes. Maybe start with the irons and then change his woods (metals) later. Also, if he's a good putter with his Scotty, please don't mess with that. I'm a great putter and my gamer is over a decade old.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
What brand of clubs is your father-in-law playing now? Trying an updated version of what worked 25 years ago is probably a good place to start. Also, there's no question graphite shafts are good, but if he likes steel; I'd stick with that for now. I'm 70 and still play steel because I like the feel. Us old guys can be stubborn. I don't play hybrids either although everyone tells me how great they are. I've tried them, but prefer my five wood and four iron. Take it slow with making changes. Maybe start with the irons and then change his woods (metals) later. Also, if he's a good putter with his Scotty, please don't mess with that. I'm a great putter and my gamer is over a decade old.

His irons are Mizunos, I’m not sure of the make, but they have 1” extensions. His driver and 5w are Mp-001 I believe, Mizuno as well. No hybrids, but wants to try one. His putter is a classic old Ping Anser, but he wants a Scotty... this is what I’m dealing with! LOL

And listen, I’m not forcing a change on him, he’s the one complaining!! I love talking golf and cars with him. Cars is his thing, I listen to everyone word he says about them. Golf is my thing, but he’s the expert there too. His two biggest complaints are loss of yardage and getting off the tee... So I said, lets see what we can do about it. I’m already quite sure this will be a very long process, but I will just try and make the best of it!!

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
His two biggest complaints are loss of yardage and getting off the tee... So I said, lets see what we can do about it. I’m already quite sure this will be a very long process, but I will just try and make the best of it!![/QUOTE]

Well there's your starting point. If you go with newer irons the lofts will be stronger. My Taylormade M2 irons are one club stronger that the Mizunos they replaced. Also, newer drivers allow you to adjust the loft. Sometime going from a 9* driver to a 10.5* or 12* can add yards for us older players. Try the Ping G400 driver. I searched for a couple of years to get more distance off the tee. The G400 really helped. Finally, get him a Scotty Cameron putter. Putting is 70% confidence and he'll make more putts just because he likes his flat stick.
Mostly, just relax and enjoy the process. Frankly, I'm having fun just giving advice, but remember my opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
In a nutshell the man is stubborn as hell! Hahaha Very stuck in his ways and sometimes almost like talking to a cinderblock wall.
This is the privilege we've earned! You young whippersnappers ain't got no idea what we've done gone through gettin' to this age. We know everything! And, we ain't got no bashfulness about lettin' you know!!:D:D

I appreciate what you're going through. Sometimes we can get a little bullheaded. The old adage of "you can lead a horses to water but you can't make him drink" apparently applies to your venture. Your patience will be tried. Just remember, he's the father of the lady you love and the grandfather of your children. No set of golf clubs is worth damaging any family relationship. Good luck!!!

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Get him a Scotty Cameron putter. Putting is 70% confidence and he'll make more putts just because he likes his flat stick.

Mostly, just relax and enjoy the process. Frankly, I'm having fun just giving advice, but remember my opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

To be perfectly honest, your advice, knowledge and friendly banter has been priceless!! So I’m kinda glad its free! One of the first things I decided early on in this adventure was to gift him a Scotty Cameron. Likely a Christmas gift or a birthday. I’m hoping to talk his son into helping with the bill... but if not, myself and the grandkids can! For now I’m just going to enjoy the time out with him, enjoying this confusing game we both love and sooner or later, he just might listen...??

Just remember, he's the father of the lady you love and the grandfather of your children. No set of golf clubs is worth damaging any family relationship. Good luck!!!

Limp, you started off so shaky there preaching all this old geezer nonsense, but then you wrap it all up with some serious wisdom... hahaha well done sir!!

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
You are a great son-in-law to even be doing this. I remember helping my father-in-law get a new set back in the 90s.
The irons were King Cobra knock-offs called King Snakes and the driver, three and five metals were real King Cobras.
He loved them and actually made a hole-in-one shortly after he got them. Sadly, he died in 2003 at 73. The clubs are still around somewhere. I gave them to my nephew who was his oldest grandson. My son didn't need them as he gets all of my cast-offs. Keep us posted on how your search goes.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I believe Limp handled the reasoning for why I’m doing this. He’s the father of the wonderful woman who agreed to spend her life with me and who’s gifted me three amazing little ones!! Well that and the fact I’m a filthy golf addict and I enjoy getting other people golf stuff probably even more than getting myself anything...

Stay tuned, it may take me a while!!

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
WELL... he went out and bought himself a putter off Kijiji last night. My father-in-law called me after he picked it up. Is it a Scotty you ask? No. Is it a drop dead sexy blade that he claims to only be able to use? Also no. He doesn’t even know the length... But it looks “fancy.” LOL oh man!!

There’s nothing wrong with scoring a $100 putter. Let me say that first. He came home with a TM daddy long legs... I just don’t get him!?!?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
WELL... he went out and bought himself a putter off Kijiji last night. My father-in-law called me after he picked it up. Is it a Scotty you ask? No. Is it a drop dead sexy blade that he claims to only be able to use? Also no. He doesn’t even know the length... But it looks “fancy.” LOL oh man!!

There’s nothing wrong with scoring a $100 putter. Let me say that first. He came home with a TM daddy long legs... I just don’t get him!?!?

Lol, to each their own.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
If I can give my $0.02... go out and play 9 or 18 with him, and take notes. FIRs, GIRs, putts, up and down (from 40-60yds) U/D from bunkers, and putts. Did he miss fairways left, or right? Greens, left, right, over, or short? Was he mentally committed to each shot? Did he make good contact with each shot? WHERE was contact on the club face? This is a big part of a good fitting, knowing what areas need to be addressed. He says he's still strong enough for "stiff" shafts, but is he really? Remember, even though a shaft is labeled as "stiff" it can CPM to a senior... if you have a good fitter/builder, they can find shafts that are labeled "stiff" and make them play softer, or where he actually needs them and still "think" he is playing a stiff. No harm there. As someone said, look at an update of the clubs he was playing. That may make it a bit more comfortable for him. Having the clubs fit him mentally, is as important as them fit him physically. I know that I like a thin top line iron, but for a few years I was hitting clubs that were pretty fat. I hit them better and I played well, but just never got comfortable. Also, it can be REALLY odd for someone to get fit properly, and have the clubs be longer or shorter, square or offset, lighter or heavy, heavier but with a lighter swing weight or vice versa, or even a different size or style grip. There is SO much equipment out there. First do irons. Finding an iron head he likes is one thing, then.... getting the shaft that is best physically AND mentally for optimal results. Then do driver. Its really just a head he likes looking at and the feel of. The ball is only going so far because of COR. Then get the shaft that yields the best control and then distance. Next, fill in the yardage gaps. A three metal, a 5 metal or hybrid, same approach head then shafts. Then move to wedges, working your way down in yardage. It takes time, and can be more physically draining getting fit than actually playing. Either way, good luck. If you know someone that is a professional, and know how to fit someone that can go with you, may be better than the kid at the store that may not really have the knowledge or experience to be thorough. Good luck. Let me know if I can help in some way.

Cheers.

Last edited:
OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
My FIL, BIL and I finally got out to play this past weekend, unfortunately it was a very short round due to some severe weather. But I was able to bring home some notes and takeaways from the few holes we did get in. He was 0/4 FIR, 0/5 GIR with 8 putts before weather horns ended our round. His big miss is to the right. Off the tee and approaching the green. Not very often will he be long with a shot, I think because he underclubs trying to muscle a lot of his shots. I also know he struggles with committing to the shot, because he will say it all the time, “I know what to do, but I stand over the ball and my mind just does something else!”

He also took several mulligans in the few holes we got in. Each time the second attempt was so much improved from the first whack... that added greatly to his frustrations. The bright note was his random putter purchase. He was putting pretty well with it. The putter is 38” long so he gets to stand up a bit helping his back!! He also seemed very pleased with it which was great!

I wish we coulda finished the nine, to have have a score. It wouldn’t have been pretty I don’t think. But I didn’t play that well either so...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
See if you could get him to read Pennick's "Little Red Book". And, see if your local library has a copy of the ancient "Swing Easy, Hit Hard" book by Julies Boros. Both have good advice on overcoming the "hit" mentality.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
See if you could get him to read Pennick's "Little Red Book". And, see if your local library has a copy of the ancient "Swing Easy, Hit Hard" book by Julies Boros. Both have good advice on overcoming the "hit" mentality.

Funny enough, I just started to reread the Little Red Book for I’m not sure how many times now. But just days before we got out to try and play. My FIL is very much an aging “Banger” who just can’t smash it with the young kids anymore. Even though he thinks it and has no trouble telling you he can... but walking the walk left him years ago!! I’m going to loan him Pennick’s book immediately and look for Boros as well.

🔥 Latest posts