1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Fittings Question

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by Louie_T07, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Louie_T07

Louie_T07 Well-Known Member

Canada Canada
    First, bdcrowe congrats on the decreasing handicap. Sticking to a game plan takes a lot of hard work and commitment. But seeing the results at the end make it all worth while!

Ego issues are my main problems in this whole process with my FIL. He is very much a “I should hit this club this far” kind of player. Very seldom does it ever work for him though. He loves to say, “what use to be just isn’t there anymore” to which I always reply, who cares what use to be, its now!! I try and tell him hit YOUR club, play YOUR shot. Who cares what I’m doing. But he does, way too much!

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  2. bdcrowe

bdcrowe ST Homeland Security

What distance DOES he usually hit, say, a 7 iron?

Take him out on a golf hole one day when the course isn't busy and there aren't people behind you. Drop 10 balls in the fairway at the distance that he thinks he SHOULD hit his 7 iron, and let him him those 10 shots short of the green. Then move him up to the distance he actually hits his 7 iron and let him hit 10 shots. What % were on the green or around the green as opposed to his first ego spot?

Talk the %s.

Then talk to him at the ego level. Does it make sense to brag that he SHOULD be able to hit the ball farther than he does? Or does it make more sense to drop his average score 10 shots almost immediately?

(PS: It may make even more of an impact to do this on a hole with junk/water in front of the green.)

3. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    If I had to guess, with an actually well struck ball using a 7i, 140-150yds maybe. To be honest even I’m not sure!! But this is a fantastic idea and serves the purpose of proving a point to him as well... He went out with his neighbor again and figures he’s lost 10-15 yards in the last 15 years. I’m not sure where this conclusion comes from but I’m trying to work with him... I guess the math sorta works?? 1yd/year?!?!

He also mentioned an “uncontrollable slice” with his driver, making things very difficult for his second shot. He is really liking the new putter though, hitting putts on line appears to be a plus, no shit Sherlock! Haha

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    BigJim13 and bdcrowe like this.
  4. jhmeg2

jhmeg2 Well-Known Member

United States United States
    Louie, someone mentioned it before I could... the offset driver. It may help, also try different shafts. If it's the ego thats not gonna change, look into irons that are stronger lofted. Or even have whatever irons he gets bent strong so if he thinks "I can hit that 7 iron 150", well, you do, but it's 3 or 4 degrees strong, or its a 6 iron. I would also look at his grip. A proper grip will have a profound effect on how he hits the ball. Also, his new putter... 38" sounds like its a counter balanced model, unless he's 6'1-6'3". Ether way, stick with it. Your tenacity will pay off and he will have more fun. Oh... What tees is he playing? If he's hitting driver and more than a 5 iron into par 4s, he's playing too far back. MOVE UP!

Louie_T07 likes this.
  5. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    My FIL is 6’3-6’4 in that neighborhood. He’s a big man and his son is even taller!! Years of playing hockey and baseball have me convinced that 10-15 years ago he was no doubt smashing the ball like he says... Unfortunately those days are well behind him. In the last 3 years he’s had both knees replaced and is on a waiting list for a new shoulder. If there was ever a time to make a change, I’d say it’s now!!

I’m confident my tenacity will pay off it the long run, it began with the new putter. I think he may just get a new driver for Christmas from the grandkids. Irons and hybrids could follow. It’s a slow and sometimes painfully frustrating adventure. But it’s golf, so I’m ok with it!

limpalong likes this.
  6. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    On that note, are there any manufacturers I should definitely be looking at for him?? TM seems popular among the masses and maybe one of the easiest to find used online. And on the flip side of the coin, any I should just plain steer clear of?

As always, any and all advice or input appreciated! Cheers

7. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

If he's really fighting a slice, Tour Edge and Cobra both make offset drivers. Tour Edge has lifetime warranty on all their products... and they are competitively priced. Should his ego keep him from wanting to go the offset route, there are some draw biased drivers available. Callaway's newer models have some "draw biased" models. The Ping line of drivers has the SFT which is draw biased. A couple of guys we play with regularly found Callaway Epic drivers as really good prices. The one gentleman is a regular in our group and went from an old Callaway Hawkeye to the new Epic. Unbelievable the difference it made in his game.

PaPaD and Louie_T07 like this.
  8. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    Callaway and Ping were two that immediately jumped to my mind, had not thought about Cobra, so that will be another thrown into the mix. I also very much realize this decision is not mine to make!! However, think of it more as a strategy going in. Ideally I’d like to have several manufacturers of varied ages for him. No older than maybe 5 years?!? And just let him hit’em all and see... what he thinks, what he likes, what happens. His son really pushes TM, although not playing them himself!?!?! but to be fair, we will try a few models of them too. He loves the putter, so who knows...??

9. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

If his ego is in the way, good luck. I made the switch to offset drivers and graphite iron shafts at his age and my game improved immediately. My ego still wants t hit steel shafts but my hands and elbows win over. Father Time is undefeated.

Another vote for TourEdge Hot Launch brand.

Louie_T07 and limpalong like this.
  10. limpalong

What's the deal with your signature, Steve?????!!!!!! Not one Ping club???? Blasphemy! Turn your Ping card... and your man card... in immediately! You don't deserve either when you've desecrated Karsten's memories by playing "girlie" clubs!!!:eek:

PaPaD likes this.
  11. PaPaD

Man clubs don't launch high enough any more. I might give the PING GMAX iron a go.

limpalong likes this.
  12. limpalong

My iBlades have the KBS Tour 120 (S) shafts. These have always had a super high trajectory. Never thought anything would hit balls higher then my old Eye 2's. These do! And, with those shafts I shouldn't be able to even swing them, let along get the ball off the ground. If anything, I have difficulty hitting low punch shots.
    Had a set of the GMax for a short while. Picked them up with the "Soft Regular" graphite shafts. One of the most inconsistent sets I've every played. I just know it was the shafts and not the clubhead. My "self made" swing looks like Jim Furyk on steroids. Those light shafts coupled with my swing would have 10 to 15 yards difference in length for the same club. You just never knew how long... or how short... the ball would go.
    One of the better players in our group has a set with the (R) graphite shafts. He has them benched and is playing a older set of TM irons. He's has trouble with inconsistency, too. And... he has a pretty swing.
    Some day I'm going to have to go to graphite in something. As much as I play, I can begin to tell the stress these steel shafts are putting on old, worn out joints. One day it will be a wrist. The next day a shoulder. Nothing serious enough to make a change yet.
    When I sent the serial number for my Eye 2+ BeCu's to Ping, the reply said they were sent out with the Cushin inserts. May just put them in the bag for next season and see if there is a little less issue with the old joints.

PaPaD likes this.
  13. PaPaD

I know. I fear I've become a pussie in my ripe old age of 68! I'm a young man in most of my golf groups. If I swung a stiff steel shaft, I don't think I'd get the ball off the ground.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  14. limpalong

There's no way at 74, in another 15 days, that I should be able to play these KBS shafts. One of the longest hitters in our group plays Titleist irons with regular graphite shafts. He and I usually hit the same iron for similar distances. He just turned 80. The "youngsters" in the group are hitting hybrids from just about everywhere. One just got a new Epic driver with a senior shaft. If he could ever get the left to right curl out of his ball flight, he'd be almost as long off the tee. He will use a 6 hybrid where I use an 8 iron.
    We all have to use what works best for us so we can enjoy this game. The game can be too frustrating to make it even more so by playing clubs you cannot score with. As long as I can not embarrass myself and play competitively with my group of geezers... and win 50 or 75 cents once in a while... I'm not going to get too hung up on having clubs in the bag made for a 20 year old flat-belly.

PaPaD likes this.
  15. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    Unless I sneak up behind him, hit him in the head with something to knock his ego outta there. I’m afraid it will always be in the way. So the good luck, thank you! Cause I just may need it. But a number of you have also made the comment along the lines of “seeing is believing” and I’m sure that will be the case with him too.

It happened with the putter, he had sworn to never try a mallet putter, didn’t like them. Putters are to be 35”, not shorter or longer... took some time, missed putts and who knows how many 3+ putts... he now has a mallet that’s 38”, and can putt pretty decent with it. Holy shit fellas, do I maybe know what I’m talking about??? Just maybe! I’m sure with some time, a little bombardment with equipment and he will too see the need to change!

Fingers crossed anyway...

16. jhmeg2

jhmeg2 Well-Known Member

Tou understand that the reason most putters sold are 35", and THE ONLY reason... is so they don't fall into your. Need to be fit properly.

17. Louie_T07

Canada Canada
    If you would like to try explaining that to him, please be my guest!! If you get through to him, you’d be my hero!! LOL

18. jhmeg2

jhmeg2 Well-Known Member

"You" understand...
    They don't fall into your "bag"...
    Sorry, just saw the reply and my post looks jacked up...