• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

College Athletics

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Never said they couldn't quit. But why not offer a specialized degree for pro athletes just like every other profession? And then, why not somehow encourage the teams to pay more for a degreed (sp?) player vs. a non-degreed player?

I have no problem with universities offering such a program, and I agree this would be a good idea for the athletes. I'm not against your idea, I'm just against the outside force factor. We shouldn't force them to do as we feel is best for them. I don't like it when I'm forced by someone else to do something just because they feel it would be for the best.

Supply and demand, the only time it really fails is when there's outside force.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I have no problem with universities offering such a program, and I agree this would be a good idea for the athletes. I'm not against your idea, I'm just against the outside force factor. We shouldn't force them to do as we feel is best for them. I don't like it when I'm forced by someone else to do something just because they feel it would be for the best.

Supply and demand, the only time it really fails is when there's outside force.
Seems like if someone else is footing the bill, they should be able to "force" the kid to do some things.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Seems like if someone else is footing the bill, they should be able to "force" the kid to do some things.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Who is footing what bill and what would they force the student to do?

Are you talking about the university giving them a free ride what should they be able to force them to do?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Who is footing what bill and what would they force the student to do?

Are you talking about the university giving them a free ride what should they be able to force them to do?
I don't think it would be forced unless you consider getting a degree forced. Its really the same thing.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I think, if the school is giving them a free ride paying them, they could be required to sign some form of agreement that if they don't complete the 3 year degree they are required to pay back every dime the school paid out. Would that be fair?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I think, if the school is giving them a free ride paying them, they could be required to sign some form of agreement that if they don't complete the 3 year degree they are required to pay back every dime the school paid out. Would that be fair?

Fair is whatever was signed in the contract. So if they included that in the contract, yes, that would be fair. If the university offers a full ride with no other stipulations, then that is fair as well.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country

I'm saying exactly this:

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Part of my thought process on this subject is if you are going to pay football and basketball player be prepared to pay the swimmers and lacrosse players as well. 95% of the schools won't be able to do it. If you only pay basketball and football players (revenue generating sports) then only about 10-15% of schools will be able to do it and the gap between the haves (Alabama, Michigan, etc.) and have nots (Oregon St, NC St, etc.) will just get bigger. The schools and NCAA have placed a price for college athletes. That price is an education, room, and board, and a small stipend. If that's not enough then don't play.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Greg,

This degree, and the additional pay, would only be for those athletes who choose the "pro sports" major. On any given college campus, how many student athletes actually go into pro sports? I'm betting considerably less than 50%.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Greg,

This degree, and the additional pay, would only be for those athletes who choose the "pro sports" major. On any given college campus, how many student athletes actually go into pro sports? I'm betting considerably less than 50%.

That's the problem...the percentage of college students that actually go into professional sports is less than 1%. The percentage of college athletes that go pro is less than 10% I believe.

Why devote time to generate a degree for less than a percent of your student base? Why would a student major in pro sports not knowing if they're ever going to go pro?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
That's the problem...the percentage of college students that actually go into professional sports is less than 1%. The percentage of college athletes that go pro is less than 10% I believe.
Why are you differentiating between college students and college athletes? Aren't all college athletes also college students?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Greg,

So, you are going to look at incoming freshman and decide who is going into the pros and start paying him up front? Unpossible. If you want to pay all athletes that play revenue producing sports (which is football and basketball only) you have to keep in mind that there are only a handful of schools who have an athletic department that operate in the black. last time I looked it was less than 12.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Why are you differentiating between college students and college athletes? Aren't all college athletes also college students?

Yes...but they are a very small part of the college's population, which is why there isn't a 'pro sports' degree already. It's not profitable.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Also part of the rookie program in basketball (NBA) and football (NFL) are classes in money management and dealing with the public, fans, and entourage that the players are obligated to attend.

🔥 Latest posts