1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

College Football

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by wirehair, Nov 7, 2008.

1. wirehair

wirehair Life's too short to drink cheap wine.

Just sitting here scratchin' my butt and thinking about College football.I wonder if any of these guys will still be standing in a couple of weeks.

Texas Tech will see Okla & Okla State the next 2 games. Their pre-season was weak and the don't get much respect because they are Texas Tech, but if they win out and then can win the Big 12 title (Missouri) they would have definitely proven they are one of the 2. It's really tough for a big 12 team to go undefeated this year.

Alabama has won against some big teams in the SEC but still has LSU. They can win it, but that game'll be a war. Then it's Auburn, there's lots of football to be played.

Penn State - very weak schedule since the Big 10 doesn't match up against the SEC and Big 12 this year. They have Mich State left, but ought to win it. I doubt if they would be under consideration if they had played Georgia, Florida, Alabama & LSU in the SEC, or Texas, Okla, Ok State, Tech in the Big 12 South.

I don't know what the bookies say, but it looks to me like we're going to have Alabama & Penn State.

2. Pa Jayhawk

Pa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Hey now, lets not just start jumping to conclusions. There is currently a team tied with Missouri in the Big12 North, and they will play them the last game of the year. ;)

Although I would rather play K-State and Iowa St as opposed to Nebraska and Texas. But even if they lose to Texas and beat Nebraska, it would still be decided on the final game.

3. wirehair

wirehair Life's too short to drink cheap wine.

Missouri Has K State & Iowa State left - That means that Kansas needs a big upset for Missouri AND they will have to beat Texas & Nebraska to have a shot.

Ain't gonna happen.

4. Pa Jayhawk

They only need to beat Missouri and one other to guarantee playing in the championship. They could beat Nebraska, which they will likely be favored, and even if they lose to Texas, assuming Missouri wins their two KU would only be 1 down. If they beat MU they would be tied and would win the tie breaker on having beat Missouri.

KU will not be a big underdog against MU, and it is also the second longest rivalry in Div 1, so being the favorite by a few points would mean very little.

Again, I think it will go down to that game no matter how you chalk it up. Really the KU vs. Texas game means nothing as far as who will play in the championship, unless of course KU were to lose to NU the prior week.

Edit 1 - BTW, I would rather be playing against NU than K-State, as K-State has a new coach starting that game. And consider that exact circumstance and one touchdown is what kept KU from playing in the title game last year, making this rivalry all the more bitter.

5. Eracer

Eracer No more triple bogies!!

You guys have it all wrong...

Texas Tech (2) loses in Oklahoma (6)
    Penn State (3) loses in a SEMI-shocker to Michigan State (18)
    Florida (4) wins out
    Alabama (1) wins out

All-SEC championship game.

Florida is the best team in the country right now, and wins again. Go Gators!!

And there you have it...:laugh:

6. Pa Jayhawk

Be careful what you wish for. In that scenario and if OU wins out, I think they would most certainly leapfrog Florida in the BCS regardless of record, as that would also mean beating OSU or two top ten teams in a row and only having lost to the team that was ranked #1 at the time.

Besides, you know how screwed up the BCS is, it would only seem fitting to have a controversy like that. ;)

You better pray OU plays KU if that happens, because we know what happens when OU plays MU, and they would have beat likely 3 top ten teams in a row in that scenario. :laugh:

7. ualtim

ualtim Carrollton, TX Supporting Member

United States United States
    I am pretty much counting on the BCS formula screwing it up again. One of these years they will screw it up bad enough that we will eventually see a playoff system. Until they do come up with the playoff system, I will stick to watching the NFL.

8. JEFF4i

JEFF4i She lives! Supporting Member

GO LOBOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. JArmour

JArmour Go VOLS!

While I am a huge SEC fan that could never happen. Florida or Bama have to lose in the SEC champ. if they make it there. So you would have either a 2 loss Fl. team or a one loss Bama. If Fl wins and bama has a loss that late in the season they won't make the NC.

I'm actually hoping by some miracle that both BAMA and FL lose or all of their players get sick in atlanta and can't play. Then urban (douche) meyer gets nancy kerrigan'd outside of the church that tim tebow is performing circumcisions at. Then when crying that his coach is hurt Michael Jackson finds Tebow on the street and kidnaps him, takes him to never land and we never hear from him again.

WOW!

10. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

The Big Ten only appears weak because they have so many good teams. Penn State can play with anyone except maybe Texas, TT or Okahoma. The SEC is the power conference though. Alabama will lose before the end of the year and so will TT. I'm so happy that Florida, Florida State and Miami are down the tubes this year. Wisconsin really has sucked this year. And if they don't do a better job of recruiting they will next year also. But watch Johnny Clay. He'll be a force. He reminds me of OJ (the football player, not the convict). :D

11. SplooGe

SplooGe Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Fixed that for you and I have to agree, if only USC could win at Oregon State.

12. mddubya

mddubya Hybrid convert

Lol, got a little carried away with the meds again I see JA, :biglol:

Glad to see I'm not the only one on here that hates the gators though.

13. Eracer

Eracer No more triple bogies!!

Forgot about that...:faintthud

14. slickpitt

slickpitt Well-Known Member

Florida and USC are both VERY over-rated. Penn State hasn't played anyone, so they don't deserve it, even if they go un-defeated. National title should be between Big12 and SEC Champs.

15. Pa Jayhawk

I wouldn't have said this last year, but if there is not a Big12 team in the Championship game, there is something really F'ed up how they came about with their decision. BCS or not.

You figure conceivably there could be two Big 12 teams playing for the National Championship, and that would never happen. They only allow 2 in BCS games, which bit them last year and will most certainly be the same this year. Not to say that I think either KU or even MU will be deserving, but there are 4 teams in the South that will certainly have an argument.

16. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

Any team that walks through the Big 10 unbeaten HAS faced some competition. But time will tell. :)

17. Pa Jayhawk

That is kind of a tough call this year, as Penn St. has had the luck of the draw. If they had played any of the teams they didn't play, they would look more impressive, but as it stands right now, next to Ohio St., they haven't played anyone with better than a 5-4 record and Penn St is the only team in the Top 10. Like I mentioned with Texas Tech, even while they have played some of the best ranked teams, their non-conference schedules are weak and may cost them. OSU game against USC, and possibly Notre Dame may be the only teams with even a winning record. USC is the only ranked team any of the top 5 Big 10 teams have played, and it was a loss. Y

I could see them arguably playing for the National Championship if they win out, but I see alot of better teams out there. You put any of the Big 10 teams in the SEC or the southern part of the Big 12 and I would be surprised to see any of them escape with fewer than 2-3 losses.

You can bet the BCS is praying that Penn St. losses to Michigan St. If Penn St. even has a close call in any of their last 3 games it is going to leave alot of questions, and I think the Michigan St. game is going to be a dog fight. To be honest, I can't say I view them as better than any of the current top 9 outside of maybe Utah, which is probably about where I view them, just even with Oklahoma St. Although the next few weeks will likely weed out a couple of the Big12 and SEC teams.

18. JArmour

JArmour Go VOLS!

So the big ten teams are terribly over rated as usual. Penn State has had no business in the NC talks all this year. They beat an Ohio State team who gets absolutely destroyed every time it faces someone from the SEC.

I can not stand the Florida gaytors but honesly anyone calling them over rated or "down the tubes" has not watched their games. The SEC championship game will give you one side of the NC game. The other side will be either Texas Tech or USC. If Tech wins out their in, obviously, if they lose USC should be in. Don't count out Oaklahoma if they can knock off Tech.

PA you make a good point about the Big Ten teams in the big 12 or in the SEC. If you don't watch those conferences every week you don't realize how tough it is every game. The Big 12 is up this year and has some good teams, we'll see how they are next year when the big time QB's are gone.

19. Pa Jayhawk

Yeah, I don't think the Big 12 was even close last year to what they are this year, and likely will not be as good next year for the reason you mention. Even Kansas had the best record in the nation last year with one loss. I certainly didn't feel like they got shafted by the BCS. They were likely only the 3rd best team in the Big 12 and the Big 12 had nowhere near the same conference. As I said, I really think OKST is about equal caliber of any team in the Big 10, and they just got decimated by TT. Lost to Texas, and may very likely drop their last game to OK. Missouri could still win the Big12 Championship (unlikely) and they likely are only the 5th best team. I am just really starting to think that if there is not a combination of the Big12 playing the SEC in the Championship this year, there is something really messed up. You could pull at least 4 teams out of either conference that could very likely go undefeated in any other conference.

Same with the SEC. That Alabama-LSU could arguable have been for the National Championship. LSU has 3 losses. Yeah, some of these teams now have 2-3 losses, but when you consider between the 2 conferences they are composed of 6 of the top 10 and 9 of the top 15. I don't even really consider the Big 12 the real power house, but instead the Big12 South. Where as of this week, 4 of those 6 teams make up the 4 of the top 8 teams in the nation. I don't even like any of those teams, but have to respect them.

Not looking good for KU, now they would have to win their next 2 against Texas and Missouri. What is that like 4th and 32 from your own goaline? :)

Even if they were to complete that Hail Mary it would just mean they would have to play a team that thumped them earlier.

edit 1 -
    Just looked at the schedules, and even if they should by chance beat Texas and Missouri, it could likely be all to put Nebraska in the title game who plays K-State and Colorado and could now win the tie breaker. :laugh: ... not sure though, as it would be a cycle KU over MU, MU over NU, NU over KU to much to figure out when you need to complete the 4th and 32 from your own goaline prior to worrying about how to get it into the end zone.:D

20. Pa Jayhawk

On another note, and for what you mentioned, there is likely going to be a monster NFL draft next year, specifically with QB's.