• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

College Football

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Any team that walks through the Big 10 unbeaten HAS faced some competition. But time will tell. :)
That is kind of a tough call this year, as Penn St. has had the luck of the draw. If they had played any of the teams they didn't play, they would look more impressive, but as it stands right now, next to Ohio St., they haven't played anyone with better than a 5-4 record and Penn St is the only team in the Top 10. Like I mentioned with Texas Tech, even while they have played some of the best ranked teams, their non-conference schedules are weak and may cost them. OSU game against USC, and possibly Notre Dame may be the only teams with even a winning record. USC is the only ranked team any of the top 5 Big 10 teams have played, and it was a loss. Y

I could see them arguably playing for the National Championship if they win out, but I see alot of better teams out there. You put any of the Big 10 teams in the SEC or the southern part of the Big 12 and I would be surprised to see any of them escape with fewer than 2-3 losses.

You can bet the BCS is praying that Penn St. losses to Michigan St. If Penn St. even has a close call in any of their last 3 games it is going to leave alot of questions, and I think the Michigan St. game is going to be a dog fight. To be honest, I can't say I view them as better than any of the current top 9 outside of maybe Utah, which is probably about where I view them, just even with Oklahoma St. Although the next few weeks will likely weed out a couple of the Big12 and SEC teams.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
So the big ten teams are terribly over rated as usual. Penn State has had no business in the NC talks all this year. They beat an Ohio State team who gets absolutely destroyed every time it faces someone from the SEC.

I can not stand the Florida gaytors but honesly anyone calling them over rated or "down the tubes" has not watched their games. The SEC championship game will give you one side of the NC game. The other side will be either Texas Tech or USC. If Tech wins out their in, obviously, if they lose USC should be in. Don't count out Oaklahoma if they can knock off Tech.

PA you make a good point about the Big Ten teams in the big 12 or in the SEC. If you don't watch those conferences every week you don't realize how tough it is every game. The Big 12 is up this year and has some good teams, we'll see how they are next year when the big time QB's are gone.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
PA you make a good point about the Big Ten teams in the big 12 or in the SEC. If you don't watch those conferences every week you don't realize how tough it is every game. The Big 12 is up this year and has some good teams, we'll see how they are next year when the big time QB's are gone.
Yeah, I don't think the Big 12 was even close last year to what they are this year, and likely will not be as good next year for the reason you mention. Even Kansas had the best record in the nation last year with one loss. I certainly didn't feel like they got shafted by the BCS. They were likely only the 3rd best team in the Big 12 and the Big 12 had nowhere near the same conference. As I said, I really think OKST is about equal caliber of any team in the Big 10, and they just got decimated by TT. Lost to Texas, and may very likely drop their last game to OK. Missouri could still win the Big12 Championship (unlikely) and they likely are only the 5th best team. I am just really starting to think that if there is not a combination of the Big12 playing the SEC in the Championship this year, there is something really messed up. You could pull at least 4 teams out of either conference that could very likely go undefeated in any other conference.

Same with the SEC. That Alabama-LSU could arguable have been for the National Championship. LSU has 3 losses. Yeah, some of these teams now have 2-3 losses, but when you consider between the 2 conferences they are composed of 6 of the top 10 and 9 of the top 15. I don't even really consider the Big 12 the real power house, but instead the Big12 South. Where as of this week, 4 of those 6 teams make up the 4 of the top 8 teams in the nation. I don't even like any of those teams, but have to respect them.

Not looking good for KU, now they would have to win their next 2 against Texas and Missouri. What is that like 4th and 32 from your own goaline? :)

Even if they were to complete that Hail Mary it would just mean they would have to play a team that thumped them earlier.

edit 1 -
Just looked at the schedules, and even if they should by chance beat Texas and Missouri, it could likely be all to put Nebraska in the title game who plays K-State and Colorado and could now win the tie breaker. :laugh: ... not sure though, as it would be a cycle KU over MU, MU over NU, NU over KU to much to figure out when you need to complete the 4th and 32 from your own goaline prior to worrying about how to get it into the end zone.:D

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
On another note, and for what you mentioned, there is likely going to be a monster NFL draft next year, specifically with QB's.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Absolutely the QB's coming out this year are going to be amazing. Also you may have Tebow coming out, but I doubt he will since all the Big 12 guys and Mark Sanchez from USC.

In my mind even with all the things that could go wrong It will be an SEC-BIG 12 title game. I really think that it has to be that way or something monumental would have happened. The Ohio State debacle the last couple of years really hurt the big 10's chances of getting back to the title game. Also with the big 12 dropping 50+ points almost every time you see them on national tv it's going to be hard to keep them out of the game.

Florida right now is the best team in the nation. They have the big 12 offense fire power with a top SEC defense. I would really be surprised if they lose to Bama. I know one thing, it's going to be a crazy finish especially with Oak playing TT. Man it's been a wild year.

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
BCS selection procedures - "No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections."

I guess that means the the "Fred's Hardware and Bait Shop Bowl" in Y-City Arkansas will have Florida and Oklahoma, while Cincinnati will play Boise State (or something equally exciting) in the Orange Bowl...go figger???

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Absolutely the QB's coming out this year are going to be amazing. Also you may have Tebow coming out, but I doubt he will since all the Big 12 guys and Mark Sanchez from USC.

In my mind even with all the things that could go wrong It will be an SEC-BIG 12 title game. I really think that it has to be that way or something monumental would have happened. The Ohio State debacle the last couple of years really hurt the big 10's chances of getting back to the title game. Also with the big 12 dropping 50+ points almost every time you see them on national tv it's going to be hard to keep them out of the game.

Florida right now is the best team in the nation. They have the big 12 offense fire power with a top SEC defense. I would really be surprised if they lose to Bama. I know one thing, it's going to be a crazy finish especially with Oak playing TT. Man it's been a wild year.

Tebow won't come out.

He'd be an idiot to do so. Mainly because he's heard that he's not an ideal NFL QB. He needs to keep working on his pocket passing.

He's an amazing scrambler, and can truck people over. But you don't see that in the NFL, and those who were hot in college, didn't in the NFL.. See Micheal Vick...

Most teams won't be going after Tebow in the draft as hard as the public might think..

People like Bradford, Harrell, Stafford, McCoy... Those guys are the hot list of QB's to be taken.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Penn St took care of the "what if" problem. Now they have no reason to be in the NC talks.

If TT wins out, and wins the Big12, they are a lock.

If Florida wins out going to the SECCG, and Bama doesn't lose anything until that game.. The winner of that game, should go.

The only problem I see with that is.. Voters and Polls might be against Florida. If Alabama retains the #1 rank, and ONLY loses the SECCG, they could argue that Florida, a 1 loss to Ole Miss, and a lower rank, doesn't deserve the jump up. Because ultimately, it's a matter of who falls 1 and 2 in the end.

USC has no chance. I don't care what ANYONE says. The Big 10 and the Pac 10 are locked out of any NC game this year, barring any self blow up disaster in the Big 12 and SEC.

SEC vs Big 12 National Championship game.. Put the money on it.

Ultimately I see Florida vs Texas Tech.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see Alabama replacing Florida...

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
The only problem I see with that is.. Voters and Polls might be against Florida. If Alabama retains the #1 rank, and ONLY loses the SECCG, they could argue that Florida, a 1 loss to Ole Miss, and a lower rank, doesn't deserve the jump up. Because ultimately, it's a matter of who falls 1 and 2 in the end.

USC has no chance. I don't care what ANYONE says.

If bama loses the SECCG which they are in no matter what happens against Auburn they are out of the NC. Florida would jump to 1 or 2. The voters will not leave Alabama ahead of Florida if FL beats them, you can count on that.

I really see Florida beating BAMA and OU beating TT.

So I see the championship being Florida and the Big 12 CG winner if it comes from the South. If the BIG 12 CG winner comes from the north, then USC is in the title game no matter what anyone thinks. It's a lock.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online