• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

COS UNITED ARE GOING TO MOSCOW!!!!

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I love Liverpool FC and the fans, but when we start saying if this happened etc.... it makes us look a bit silly, in the end we know if we win more games over a season we win?!!? Rafa as stated by our friend from Manc land needs to temper his rotation policy and look at the successful teams of the past for both LFC and MUFC and they hardly changed in line up week to week.

I just feel we may fall short in areas if we dont make the right signings, i.e a good right winger, decent striker with pace, good left back as Aurelio, Riise, do not hit the spot, and also Insua needs more time. The spine of the side needs strengthening, we need to break the dominance of the other teams and get back on top, but long term high end investment is the only way.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I love Liverpool FC and the fans, but when we start saying if this happened etc.... it makes us look a bit silly, in the end we know if we win more games over a season we win?!!? Rafa as stated by our friend from Manc land needs to temper his rotation policy and look at the successful teams of the past for both LFC and MUFC and they hardly changed in line up week to week.

I just feel we may fall short in areas if we dont make the right signings, i.e a good right winger, decent striker with pace, good left back as Aurelio, Riise, do not hit the spot, and also Insua needs more time. The spine of the side needs strengthening, we need to break the dominance of the other teams and get back on top, but long term high end investment is the only way.

Speaking of the Spine in your Team, Steven Gerrard HAS to play centre midfield week in week. When your opponants get the team sheet if they see Gerrard on the right, left, supporting the striker... anything other than centre midfield they must think... nice one, Liverpool are playing a weakend team!!!

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Good Lord this is going to be a dreadful European Cup Final. I might not even watch it. Talk about the lesser of two evils!!!

Oh well, I do have this to help get through that particular day.

5 Times Sig.jpg
5 Times Sig.jpg

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Speaking of the Spine in your Team, Steven Gerrard HAS to play centre midfield week in week. When your opponants get the team sheet if they see Gerrard on the right, left, supporting the striker... anything other than centre midfield they must think... nice one, Liverpool are playing a weakend team!!!

On the contrary.... LFC has played best when Gerrard was tucked in behind Torres, and with Mascherano and Alonzo in central midlfield. The post February Premier League run, solidifying fourth, the CL eliminations of Inter, Arsenal, second group stage win etc.

Sorry... this is supposed to be a United thread (I think they will thrash Chelsea, who might not be able to deal with the big moment --- Drogba I mean you!), but I just thought I migh point out that Gerrard played well this season behind the striker, with two central mids supporting him and Torres.

Except when playing the Mancs for crying out loud.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
On the contrary.... LFC has played best when Gerrard was tucked in behind Torres, and with Mascherano and Alonzo in central midlfield. The post February Premier League run, solidifying fourth, the CL eliminations of Inter, Arsenal, second group stage win etc.

Sorry... this is supposed to be a United thread (I think they will thrash Chelsea, who might not be able to deal with the big moment --- Drogba I mean you!), but I just thought I migh point out that Gerrard played well this season behind the striker, with two central mids supporting him and Torres.

Except when playing the Mancs for crying out loud.

Any opponant of Liverpool would fancy there chances more with Alonzo & Mascherano in centre midfield than Gerrard & Mascherano thats for sure. OK he's played well supporting Torres futher forward but you get the best out of Gerrard when he's taking the game by the scruff of the neck in the centre of the park... remember the FA cup final against West Ham. Gerrard would be one of the best players on the park in any position but centre midfield is where he plays/influences a game the best/most.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Any opponant of Liverpool would fancy there chances more with Alonzo & Mascherano in centre midfield than Gerrard & Mascherano thats for sure. OK he's played well supporting Torres futher forward but you get the best out of Gerrard when he's taking the game by the scruff of the neck in the centre of the park... remember the FA cup final against West Ham. Gerrard would be one of the best players on the park in any position but centre midfield is where he plays/influences a game the best/most.

Fair enough. But I'll cheekily add this.....

You pick the "best" position for players about as well as you pick the best putter..... what's that, FOUR in your sig? :D

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
It was sad to see the Rangers fan's rampaging through Manchester last week, but look on the bright side their rioting caused £250,000 of improvements to the city centre!! hehe!!:biglol:

Alonso has not impressed this season for me as much as the previous seasons, althoughh Mascherano is industrious he is having to cover 2 positions as it is blatantly obvious Alonso cannot tackle, and his distribution has lacked the penetration of other seasons, Gerrard plays well for me in a roaming role when he is given freedom to move, i hate seeing him right side of the park as it limits his natural urge to burst through the midfield.

From what i understand Mr Hicks is now liquidizing his assests in the US to meet different demands on his empire, i think for his own sanity the D.I.C deal is his best option to get rid of the expectation on his finances, I would not like to see him broken as a man by trying to impress football fans with money he patently hasnt got or cannot raise ( even though i understand that it was his speciality in his firm Hicks Muse Tate & Furst http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hicks),

i would rather see a group with money in the bank ready to back up their plans.

Good luck to United as i would hate to see a southern team win it, especially one with no heritage and lack of class.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You guys are vicious. We don't even talk about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers so negatively. Yeah, they've all fathered multiple illegitimate children, many of them have pending cases in the court system, and they play football (American football) like it was some sort of medieval siege exercise.

You guys take team loyalty to a whole other level there. NFL fans may talk trash, but at least we're happy to have other teams around to talk trash about. You guys seems to want one team in the league - yours. All the other teams can go feck themselves, eh? Sounds more like the way our frat boys blindly support their alma maters.

I'm all for supporting your team, but all this talk about how "my team is the only team with talent and class" is just a bit over the top, don't you think. Why all the hatred? Or am I reading more into it than I should be.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Eracer, did you ever get an answer to your question on why Portsmouth was called Pompei from an earlier post? I was interested in that answer as well and do not seem to recall and explanation of it.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
I'm all for supporting your team, but all this talk about how "my team is the only team with talent and class" is just a bit over the top, don't you think. Why all the hatred? Or am I reading more into it than I should be.
You're reading into it more than you should, supporters over here are very knowledgeable about their own team and will quote stats at opposing fans constantly proving how good they are. Also the press over here covers behind the scenes issues of the Premiership Clubs extensively which provides a lot of ammunition for rival supporters. Most of the comments are good natured and tongue in cheek.
All that being said, if you look at the premiership this year Statistically Man U are the best team in England.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You're reading into it more than you should, supporters over here are very knowledgeable about their own team and will quote stats at opposing fans constantly proving how good they are. Also the press over here covers behind the scenes issues of the Premiership Clubs extensively which provides a lot of ammunition for rival supporters. Most of the comments are good natured and tongue in cheek.
All that being said, if you look at the premiership this year Statistically Man U are the best team in England.
So hooligans like MG aren't the norm?:prop:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Eracer, did you ever get an answer to your question on why Portsmouth was called Pompei from an earlier post? I was interested in that answer as well and do not seem to recall and explanation of it.
I must be getting AAADD, as I don't recall asking such a question.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.