• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Country Club of the Poconos

divot

Oct 16, 2005
my wife and i stayed at shawnee 2 years ago, but they were flooded at the time, course closed. they aranged for us to play elsewhere. we played watergap, buckhill, and country club of the pocanos,that track is awsome, what is it 17 miles long, play a couple of holes drive through a bunch of streets,play some more, drive some more, has huge elavation changes, saw a bear right of #1 fairway, starter told us, it was about a year old and was an orphan, and took up residents on the course, he also said it takes the greens keeper about an 1.5 hrs for him tour the course to check on it, got some great pictures on the back nine

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Nice pics. I can see how a shorter course can warrant that slope, lot's of environmental/waste areas there. If the rest of the course looks like that, I'd have to leave the driver at home. Lots of 5 and 6irons off the tee for me. I would love to play that course, right up my alley as my iron striking game is my strongest attribute now. I am also addicted to shot shaping with my irons, even when the situation doesn't really warrant it. lol.

Thanks PA.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
what is it 17 miles long
13.2 miles from what I understand, although I believe when we moved here 3 years ago it was 17 miles round trip. They are doing alot of building on the back between 7 and 13 last year and this year, and rerouting the paths. You will see the development in the pictures to come. I went out again today and took picturess of the rest of the course. This time I used a Polarizer filter, as I noticed with the cloud cover the skies were kind of washed out in the ones I did yesterday. I took 200+ pictures today, so I will upload some when I have a chance to go through them this week. Plus it was nice and sunny and blue skies today. We have lived here now for 3 years, and they are putting up 800 houses. Although you are still at one with nature for the most part. I like to think of it as a mix between a nice combination between golf and a day on the AT in a golf cart.

BTW, Shawnee got flooded again this year for the third time in two years. From what I understand the last flooding was 1954 and they have had 3 50 year floods in 2 years. Really sad for them.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Nice pics. I can see how a shorter course can warrant that slope, lot's of environmental/waste areas there. If the rest of the course looks like that, I'd have to leave the driver at home. Lots of 5 and 6irons off the tee for me. I would love to play that course, right up my alley as my iron striking game is my strongest attribute now. I am also addicted to shot shaping with my irons, even when the situation doesn't really warrant it. lol.

Thanks PA.
You guessed that right. I use driver maybe twice on the front nine and 3-4 times on the back. I tee off alot with my hybrids, and as you mentioned a 6 iron is a very good choice in many cases. I will upload the rest in the next few days.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Man, this looks like a course you could play every day forever and never get tired of it. You'll have a "different shot" every time you play any hole. Awesome.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Man, this looks like a course you could play every day forever and never get tired of it. You'll have a "different shot" every time you play any hole. Awesome.
It is pretty nice for that. They do a good job alternating around the Tee boxes and pin placements every day. So on some holes, specifically the par 3's, you can see as much as a 40 to 50 yard difference from day to day.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Great pics. I've only fished in the Poconos but it's a beautiful area.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I thought this would be worth mentioning on here. I bumped into the head grounds keeper on my course today. The guy I was playing with walked over to talk with him. It was the first time I met him, and after complimenting him on the shape of the course, out of the blue he asked if I was the one that posted these pictures of the course. I guess he saw me taking the pictures a few weeks back, and saw them again on here.

Shortly I will update this thread with the rest of the course. I was on vacation last week, and have been busy playing golf this week. It was very interesting and made my day. It is a small world.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Golf, have some turkey, and golf some more. Just bring along the cooker!

I'd love to play that course. Alot like some here. Short but narrow fairways and lot's of trees. Looks easy and is if you can hit it straight. But if you can't, you are in trouble. Am I right?

:)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.