• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

crap swing advice

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
There is a chap that I work with who has been for 12 years and always will be off 28 handicap as he's the most uncoordinated person on Earth. However, he insists on giving me swing advice even though I know for a fact I will shoot between 20 & 30 shots less than him over 18 holes. At first I just humoured him, even pretended I might try some of his suggestions out but now I'm getting a bit fed up of it. He subcribes to an online swing clinic so thinks he knows everything and I know nothing.

Any suggestions on how to get him off my case? (Remember we don't carry guns over here ;-)

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
There is a chap that I work with who has been for 12 years and always will be off 28 handicap as he's the most uncoordinated person on Earth. However, he insists on giving me swing advice even though I know for a fact I will shoot between 20 & 30 shots less than him over 18 holes. At first I just humoured him, even pretended I might try some of his suggestions out but now I'm getting a bit fed up of it. He subcribes to an online swing clinic so thinks he knows everything and I know nothing.

Any suggestions on how to get him off my case? (Remember we don't carry guns over here ;-)

Become a crmiinal...then you can! :emot-ange

Remember, those that cannot do, teach.

My high school football coach never played the game ever in his life, yet he has had several state winning teams....

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Offer to play him in a match for the right to continue to give you advice. He wins, he can keep it up. He loses, he can shut up.

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
Maybe start calling him 'Coach'? Might get the hint.

Or pretend to follow his advice, and hurt yourself doing so. Take some time off from work. Play lots of golf.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Ask Auguster, he can play without being bothered by anything. Is there money on the game when you guys play? If not, then his advice is worth ignoring. :)

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Maybe start calling him 'Coach'? Might get the hint. Oh god no, he would love that! lol

Or pretend to follow his advice, and hurt yourself doing so. Take some time off from work. Play lots of golf.

Now this is more like it as he's a director at the firm I work for :thumbs up:

295yards

May 5, 2009
Ask Auguster, he can play without being bothered by anything. Is there money on the game when you guys play? If not, then his advice is worth ignoring. :)
:biglol: :biglol: :biglol::biglol: :biglol: :biglol:

295yards

May 5, 2009

Honestly, he probably means real well, and he is only expressing his obsession for the game.

If you could somehow go about it without getting into a whole "lay off it I'm better than you attitude" everyone would benefit from it.

I personally think a good way to deal with this type of analytical thinker is to express any swing advice during a round is bad for any golfer ( which is actually true and he'll see the logic ). Tell him you'll sit down after the round and talk "swing" while enjoying a cold one.

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Honestly, he probably means real well, and he is only expressing his obsession for the game.

If you could somehow go about it without getting into a whole "lay off it I'm better than you attitude" everyone would benefit from it.

I personally think a good way to deal with this type of analytical thinker is to express any swing advice during a round is bad for any golfer ( which is actually true and he'll see the logic ). Tell him you'll sit down after the round and talk "swing" while enjoying a cold one.

I'm not sure he even does mean well, he is the sort of person who always likes to be seen to give a confident answer to any question whether he knows the real answer or not (also known as a smug git).

So far I've avoided the "I'm better than you" conversation.

The thing is, he has never played with me. He has only seen me as we pass on the course and he saw a couple of swing vids I did, so he keeps advising me whilst at work!

EDIT: He gets a daily email from golfswingsecrets.com with a new "tip". Think about it, a new swing thought every single day!!!

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
You could try telling him that you play better when your mind is clear and free from too many technical points and you prefer to just go out and swing naturally...could be a tactful way of going about it.

If he keeps going on you might need to just be blunt about it.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Simply tell him while you appreciate his advise, it is distracting. Tell him you play with a certain philosophy handed down by the golf sages:
"Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball again" and that this quite suffices for your game.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Whatever you tell him, don't be so politically correct that he doesn't get your message. If you want him to STFU, then tell him to STFU!

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
He started the other day with more pearls of wisdom so I said I will only take him seriously when I see him doing them on the course. I said it in such a way that it could be conveyed as slightly humourous but mainly serious. Result!

295yards

May 5, 2009
He started the other day with more pearls of wisdom so I said I will only take him seriously when I see him doing them on the course. I said it in such a way that it could be conveyed as slightly humourous but mainly serious. Result!

Chalk one up!

🔥 Latest posts