• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Crazy idea! Thoughts?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So I snagged a Diamana Red shaft for my BioCell 3 wood and am hitting the snot out of it. I've been looking for one for the driver and switching out the Matrix Ozik (too much mustard for this dog!). I can hit it if I putt a 100% swing on it, but for some reason I'm not getting it as good as the three wood which is a softer higher launch version. So I'm looking.

I was wondering could I use a 3 wood shaft on a driver? It's all compatible on the Cobra system. I'm guessing it's shorter shaft but what else will differ? Has anyone else tried this? Am I just crazy / desperate to even think this way?

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
Check the weight - it might be a slightly heavier shaft and should be an inch or so shorter. It might be a perfect fit for you. I have built a number of drivers over the years using 75g fairway shafts at 44" and they have worked well for me - slightly shorter on distance, but very accurate. It usually turned out, however, that those drivers were really only as long as a well struck 3 wood, so........use the 3 wood off the tee?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I'm 6'4" with a WTF of 39" and play graphite shafted drivers at 44.5" and steel shafted drivers at 43.5".

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I do the same thing, but if I have a shot too tight to give me second thoughts about my driver's accuracy, I'd rather just not hit driver.

Choking down makes the driver feel significantly different in my hands (in a negative way). I'd rather hold the end of the grip in my left hand on a driver with a shorter shaft than choke down on a full length club.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online