• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cruise or Dude Ranch?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hey all,

Just asking. Both are compelling for wife and I, kid will be with my parents. Can't decide, any insight?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
It depends what sort of person you are (1) horsey , outdoorsy camping type, or (2) luxury, mod cons.

Dunno. I'd probably take the cruise.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Everyone I know of that's went on a cruise has been disappointed. Cabins are about the size of the bathrooms on airplanes. No one (in charge) speaks English. Forget the show that used to be on tv. It's nothing like that.

Now a dude ranch would be a blast.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Everyone I know of that's went on a cruise has been disappointed. Cabins are about the size of the bathrooms on airplanes. No one (in charge) speaks English. Forget the show that used to be on tv. It's nothing like that.

Now I have heard the exact opposite and everyone raves aboutt heir cruise experience.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
That's because wbl's friends can only afford to cruise on the S.S. Minnow. :D

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
My wife and I have gone on cruises and would go again. We've not had a bad experience on a cruise. We would NOT every spend a dime to go ride horses or 'rough it' on a ranch. Both grew up on farms and have zero desire to 'go back to nature'. Besides... In the 45 years of our marriage, she has referred to me many times in vernacular that suggests I resemble the back end of a horse. I'm afraid she might have difficulty identifying me if I were amongst a corral full of them!! :>)

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Hey all,

Just asking. Both are compelling for wife and I, kid will be with my parents. Can't decide, any insight?

I vote neither!!!! Both options sound like a drag to me. Why not just fly somewhere, rent a car and wing it? Perhaps its just me....I live in a tourist town and when I want to get away I don't want to be a "tourist" or go to known tourist traps.

Suggestions based on my tastes: the Outer Islands of the Bahamas like Eleuthera or Cat Island. The west coast of Puerto Rico.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

Well, you can now say you know a person that loved their cruise experience. Me.

Jeff, definitely go on a cruise. We did a 'technically' low end cruise on the Carnival Inspiration and had a blast. Food was excellent, rooms were not nearly as small as i expected, however, you're never in the room. You go there to sleep and shower, that's it. Unless you are 400lbs+ you will have no problems fitting in the cabin's on the carnival cruise lines. Everyone on the cruise ship spoke solid English, although almost all of them were from a non-English speaking country. Service was absolutely amazing, although as you can expect alcoholic drinks were a bit on the expensive side, but not overly so.

Dude Ranch...no thanks. I can ride horses anytime out here....i friggin hate horses.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
For you, little buddy, a Dude Ranch. Find one with a Brokeback theme so you can enjoy it! ;)

Actually, I've been on a few cruises and they're fun, but not in a "greatest vacation of all time" kinda way.

Check into an all-inclusive "Sandals" type vacation somewhere. You might have more fun that way at a similar cost. I've always wanted to do something like that, just haven't had the chance.

But, of the 2 choices you offered, a cruise.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
And I will echo clarks sentiments regarding Dude ranches, no friggin way would I ever do that. Would rather spend 2 weeks at work putting in 12 hr days vs that ranch shit.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Both sound good options to me right now. Get her to choose or pick what she would like more, That way you enjoy PLUS she really wants to thanks you for letting her choose.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Whichever it is, please do not let this be your holiday image.

aitsallmaya.com_wp_content_uploads_2008_11_ugly_american_tourist.jpg

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, Dude Ranches aren't for everyone. I grew up around horses and have done the "ranch" thing. Never did have a problem with it and I enjoy riding horses.

She's leaning to this way too, I'll let everyone know.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.