• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cutting a graphite shaft.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I've read several places saying that you can use a saw and some tape to cut a graphite shaft. I just wanted to make sure no one has had any bad experiences doing this before I attempt it. I've got a standard hack saw, and I'll probably pick up a fine tooth blade from Home Depot to cut with(32 teeth per inch I think.) If I use masking tape around the area I plan to cut should I expect any problems? Is there any special kind of saw blade that I need or will what I listed above suffice? I've got a vise and plan to pick up with of those rubber golf shaft vise holder thingies as well.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I use a dremel, but a hacksaw will work fine. Fine tooth blade is good, masking tape around the cut, etc.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
You should be fine.......don't rush it and apply too much pressure...

Personally, if you don't hve one, I'd recommend you get a Dremel tool....they serve so many uses not just club work...but arond the house...you can use it to cut the shafts...trim...prep....clean out dry eboxy in old shafts....with a buffer wheel can clean and polish heads.....and they are around $20.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
You should be fine.......don't rush it and apply too much pressure...

Personally, if you don't hve one, I'd recommend you get a Dremel tool....they serve so many uses not just club work...but arond the house...you can use it to cut the shafts...trim...prep....clean out dry eboxy in old shafts....with a buffer wheel can clean and polish heads.....and they are around $20.

That's it? Figured they were more than that.

So cutting with a dremmel... assume you'd use something like this? Still using tape?

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/AttachmentsDetail.aspx?pid=426

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
FWIW, I have a Dremel, and a number of other cutting tools including air and electric cutoffs.... and I use a hacksaw to cut graphite. I tried the Dremel, but it's easier with the saw, as long as you have a sharp blade. My first attempt with blade that has seen better days was a failure. Definitely tape it, or it will crack on the bottom.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
If you don't want to spend the money on a dremel right now (although they are mighty handy for all manner of things,) and are buying a hacksaw blade anyway, you can get a grit-edge blade at Home Depot or Sears for about $3. Looks like this --> Craftsman 12 in. Carbide Grit Edge Hacksaw Blade - Model 40862 at Sears.com

A grit-edge blade like that is basically a super-duper ultra-fine toothed blade -- basically the same reasoning you had for going from a normally coarse-toothed blade to a fine-toothed blade, only much more so. It's what the golf supply places sell as the low-buck option for safely cutting graphite, but it's a couple bucks cheaper at Homey D.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I've only done it a couple times, but just using tape a rotozip with a 3 1/2" cutoff wheel (basically same as a dremel) worked great for me. Took about 2 seconds to cut it and sand it even at the same time.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
if you have a wet saw for tile it will do a nice job and cut down on dangerous dust flying around

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I use an air powered cutoff saw with a 2.5" disc. Zips right thru them in about 1/2 second.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have a cut off saw I bought from Golfworks. But most of the time I use my dremel tool. Then I change the attachment and use it to tip prep as well. Works great for me.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I have a cut off saw I bought from Golfworks. But most of the time I use my dremel tool. Then I change the attachment and use it to tip prep as well. Works great for me.

What bit do you use for tip prep in the dremel? I have the little cut off saw and belt sander (the small/cheap ones) from Golfworks that I use for cutting and prepping iron shafts, and cutting graphite, but I didn't buy the belt for prepping graphite - with the infrequency I do something with a graphite shaft I didn't figure it'd be worth changing the belt on the sander. So I still do those by hand with strips of a 3M buffing pad (same thing they sell as "graphite shaft prep strips" at Golfsmith, but you can buy a whole pad big enough to make 10 of those strips at an auto parts store for $2.)

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Thanks for all the info folks.. good stuff!

One more thing... does anyone have a picture of a tip that's been properly cut and prep'd? I tend to process things visually :)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
What bit do you use for tip prep in the dremel? I have the little cut off saw and belt sander (the small/cheap ones) from Golfworks that I use for cutting and prepping iron shafts, and cutting graphite, but I didn't buy the belt for prepping graphite - with the infrequency I do something with a graphite shaft I didn't figure it'd be worth changing the belt on the sander. So I still do those by hand with strips of a 3M buffing pad (same thing they sell as "graphite shaft prep strips" at Golfsmith, but you can buy a whole pad big enough to make 10 of those strips at an auto parts store for $2.)

I literally have no idea what the bit is called. It came with the tool. It's a cylindrical head about the size of a dime. Looks to be wrapped with sand paper. I just lightly brush it against the tip as I rotate the shaft. Probably not the recommended way of doing it, but it's worked so far. I've done it with a piece of emory cloth, but I'm too lazy to spend that much time prepping it, :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.