• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cycling

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Is my new golf. It's just cheaper, since I don't "have" to pay nearly as much as I did in golf. Even getting into competition.

#197 at my first race.

Any other road cyclists out there?

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Is my new golf. It's just cheaper, since I don't "have" to pay nearly as much as I did in golf. Even getting into competition.

#197 at my first race.

Any other road cyclists out there?

197?! How large was the field?

Went for a 30 mile spin this afternoon after work. I'd say I'm about 85%/15% road/mtb.

How long have you been riding?

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Bicycles? Seriously? About a year. Obviously for much longer, but that's casual stuff. I still mountain bike, kind of have to here in New Mexico, but day-to-day is easier since I live in the city.

The field was only about 20-30, they'll just use numbers consecutively since it is a weekly thing.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Was it a criterium type race or a longer "road" race?

I did a lot of racing before our second child. Once the second one came I couldn't keep up with the required training to stay competitive (my few peak years were >10,000 miles on the bike). Mid '08 I dusted off the bike after a 4 year hiatus but didn't get serious about riding again until Jan '09. I don't see myself racing again but I'm hesitant to say never again (there are a couple of really cool races that I could see myself doing).

Anyway, if you do get serious about racing I got news for you, it is every bit as expensive as golfing if not more so!

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Criterium then about a 5 mile non-criterium.

I know if I get serious it will be, but for now I'm just dipping my toe in the water. Honestly I need a trainer, since (especially to road bikes) I'm still pretty fresh.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've still got my youngest sons old BMX bikes, well, the frames and froks at least. Talk about expensive, race BMX at the expert level, wow.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
There are probably 15 bicycles between my house and the beach house, and not one of them is mine. I keep planning to get a bike just for exercise and fun, but always have something else to spend the money on (wife, 4 kids, lab puppy, Jeep, golf, etc...)

I'd get into cycling, but those spandex suits tend to accentuate things that are better left hidden....

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
There are probably 15 bicycles between my house and the beach house, and not one of them is mine. I keep planning to get a bike just for exercise and fun, but always have something else to spend the money on (wife, 4 kids, lab puppy, Jeep, golf, etc...)

I'd get into cycling, but those spandex suits tend to accentuate things that are better left hidden....

Same here, i've wanted a nice bike for a long time, something easy to ride anywhere i want to ride it, i don't want a dedicated skinny tire road bike, or a all out off road bike, just something that will do everything decent, but nothing overly well.

No money. Between the family, house, motorcycle, cars, golf, etc, i just don't need any more hobbies.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Tour of California is coming through Bakersfield today, if I can get off work pictures will be coming.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Ooo, please do Splooge!

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Tour of California is coming through Bakersfield today, if I can get off work pictures will be coming.

I was so bummed this week. The SF to SC stage rolled within 20 miles from my office and I couldn't make it out. I was able yo get live feed over the net and it was cool to see these guys roll over the same climbs that I've been doing for years. Same deal with the next stage, that started less than 10 miles from my house. So bummed, at least my buddies were posting tons of pics on Facebook thouh. Pretty sweet!

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Didn't make it out there, was playing golf in Visalia where Armstrong crashed though. Shot an 82 on Thurs and an 84 on Friday which is good for me..

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Wooo, Team Columbia takes the win. Go Scott, :D

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Same here, i've wanted a nice bike for a long time, something easy to ride anywhere i want to ride it, i don't want a dedicated skinny tire road bike, or a all out off road bike, just something that will do everything decent, but nothing overly well.

No money. Between the family, house, motorcycle, cars, golf, etc, i just don't need any more hobbies.

Trek makes some nice hybrids which are great roda bikes & will handle decently off road.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.