• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible.....

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
I agree 100%. I think Pelz and Leadbetter are the 2 biggest coaching hacks ever.

I agree. I think Pelz' stuff would work if you have many many days and hours to pour into it, but I don't have that kind of time. And Leadbetter's instruction just often seems wrong to me when I try some on his suggested drills.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I will stick up for Leadbetter,sort of.I have watched a few of his DVds and I have 2 of his bokks,one is very good.Imo he is very very good for beginners and club golfers but instruction sort of runs out if you know what I mean.However he has had so much success with tour players he must be very good one on one,just not if you are an advanced amateur looking for the next level.On the other hand,Hogan's book never runs out,I've used it for 20 years and lets say for arguements sake I had a goal to get on the seniors tour,Hogan's book could take me there,but there is nothing in Leadbetter beyond basic stuff.

But as I say he must have something one on one and the book I have which is great is 'Faults and Fixes'.Its always useful to pull out if you have a bad raneg session,he pretty much covers off everything in it.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Leadbetter pretty much ruined Faldo's game and is currently in the process of ruining some tall Hawaiin(sp?) girls game.
He also nearly drove Justin Rose from the game. Rose btw saw major improvement within months of ditching leadbetter.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have always been more technical in my approach to things, so I absolutely love the Short game bible, and his ramblings as most people would call them. I really want his "Damage Control" book, although he seems to only sell it through his website last I checked, and I was to lazy to order it online. Figure I will wait until it is in the store when I can look a few of the pages first.
http://www.pelzgolf.com/ProShop/books/DamageControl.aspx

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I am no Faldo expert but wasn't Leadbetter responsible for his swing rebuild in the eighties and 6 majors were the result?

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
(For those of you who cannot believe that I would criticize a book for its length, I would think a complete book on golf could be done in 200 pages provided it was well illustrated.)

For example Hogans 5 lessons 127 pages on the fundamentals of the full swing. Plenty of room left there for a short game/putting section.

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
I think you missed Pelz points to Phil. Phil always went for the high lob and it was Pelz through his analysis that made Phil acknowledge that the lob isn't always the best shot. Mickleson started to win after he started to increase has short game techniques to using lower lofted wedges with half swings.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Mickleson started to win after he started to increase has short game techniques to using lower lofted wedges with half swings.

Mickelson started to win when he stopped being an idiot in all aspects of his game. He then reverted back to being an idiot for 1 hole and we all know what that got him.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Mickelson started to win when he stopped being an idiot in all aspects of his game. He then reverted back to being an idiot for 1 hole and we all know what that got him.

Lol,but Monty was a bigger idiot,worst 7 iron of his life

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
That incident was on my mind just yesterday. I have to admire anyone who can hit their Driver into the 2 foot opening in a trashcan from about 300 yards away. Heck I played yesterday and hit a push fade over a pond, then over a barn on a dogleg right and managed to miss a full regulation size construction dumpster, which prior to my shot I was eyeing and thinking it may end up there. :D

Actually didn't turn out to be a bad shot and just about found the fairway on the other side.

Then again, my favorite announcer line. "He just hit his driver into a trashcan on the prior hole, what is he thinking?"

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
That trashcan shot was BS btw... One of "Phil's Phans" put it in there to offer him complete relief. This, I believe, is the reason Phil came unglued. Though he had no proof, on the tee Phil absolutely KNEW there was no way, if he found his ball, that he'd have any kind of playable shot, and was dropping at least a shot. He may even have to come back and retee. I believe the guilt of getting a free drop did him in.

This is neither here nor there...

I absolutely LOVE Pelz's Short Game Bible. I only wish I had the time to go out maybe once a week for an hour to hit the shots and make sure the yardages are still on. Once you have the yardages, and a repeatable 7:30, 9:00, 10:30, the game from 100 and in gets quite easy. With a laser for practicing different yardages, and now able to use said laser on the course during a round, the repeatablility should almost be automatic.

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
That may be true but Pelz did not teach Mickelson to go to his flop shot; it flies in the face of Pelz' teachings. I'm not a big Pelz fan but I have learned a few things about my game from reading his books.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
Just out of curiosity, how many of you who

go by Peltz's teaching carry the 64* lob wedge? I have always had difficulty coming up with the right fourteen clubs for the courses I play, and I just cannot imagine a 64* lob wedge in my bag. I finally settled on three wedges (49*, 54* and 58*), and it is working out fine. Having swings that match certain times on a clock face, and then changing clubs using those swings does give you a lot of shots, but it isn't really as great as it first sounds. Some of those longer swings with the more lofted club end up right about the same as a less lofted club with a less lengthy swing. My 54* and 58* have the same 10* which is sort of a compromise and this covers most situations. If that is too much bounce, I go with the pitching wedge. I sometimes think Mr. Peltz would have us carrying five or more wedges. Remember when the pros carried only two, and some just one? I also like carrying 1-3-5 woods and a 20* hybrid so I can have versatility all through my set, not just loaded down at the "scoring irons." I go along with the idea that every club is really a scoring club even though Mr. Peltz talks a lot about how many shots are under a hundred yards.

In another post there is talk that I can help people with hitting a 16* lob wedge!!! First, I cannot. Second, I believe it was meant 16*-LW.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
I don't use a 64* LW but I'm left handed and I've only been able to hold a RH and imagine what it would be like to hit one. I also don't think I would find much use for a 64* LW but then I've been wrong about many aspects of this game.

I also remember a time when greens were slow and pro's used a lot of wrist in their strokes and yes one or two wedges. The game has changed a bit for the pro's but I don't think it translates to us.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
As far as a 64* wedge goes, I am already carrying four with a 48, 51, 55, 60 so I am not about to add a 5th. I do have a 64 degree kicking around somewhere in or above the garage, its one of the first clubs I built over 10 years ago when I started making clubs but have not used it in quite a long time.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.