• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Devils Head Golf Course: Glacier Course

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Part of my Midwest Golfing magazine subscription. Played here for $25. Wow what a bargain at that price. $75 on the weekend for regular rates...which honestly, this is one of the only courses I've played that I think actually warrants that price.

Every hole is unique in some way. There are longs ones, short ones, great dog legs, great elevation changes. It's difficult enough without being depressing. Greens are fantastically difficult to read. More times than not, your put was traveling at a 90 degree angle from it's original direction. Greens ranged from massive 50 yards deep, to a postage stamp. Lots of great variety on the greens.

The only thing I can fault this course for is that there was a lot of sand on a lot of the greens. Maybe this was from the massive amount of rain that we got the night before and a recent sanding of the greens? It never happened to be in the way of a putt for us, but it could definitely cause problems.

I didn't actually keep score. I was just out there to have fun. However, I did shoot 5 pars, and another par with a mulligan off the tee.

The clubhouse is pretty terrible...but they do have food, drinks, and polite staff. Just don't expect anything more than a couple picnic tables to sit on. The courses don't come back to the club house at the turn either...so take a cooler with you and buy your beers at the beginning. We made that mistake...had to take a long drive back to the clubhouse for a bite to eat. We didn't realize that you don't return to the clubhouse until 18.

As of right now, not counting price, this is probably my favorite course thus far. We had a great time playing here. I should have taken a bunch of pictures. I'll be going back at some point though. Maybe I'll update then.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Part of my Midwest Golfing magazine subscription. Played here for $25. Wow what a bargain at that price. $75 on the weekend for regular rates...which honestly, this is one of the only courses I've played that I think actually warrants that price.

Every hole is unique in some way. There are longs ones, short ones, great dog legs, great elevation changes. It's difficult enough without being depressing. Greens are fantastically difficult to read. More times than not, your put was traveling at a 90 degree angle from it's original direction. Greens ranged from massive 50 yards deep, to a postage stamp. Lots of great variety on the greens.

The only thing I can fault this course for is that there was a lot of sand on a lot of the greens. Maybe this was from the massive amount of rain that we got the night before and a recent sanding of the greens? It never happened to be in the way of a putt for us, but it could definitely cause problems.

I didn't actually keep score. I was just out there to have fun. However, I did shoot 5 pars, and another par with a mulligan off the tee.

The clubhouse is pretty terrible...but they do have food, drinks, and polite staff. Just don't expect anything more than a couple picnic tables to sit on. The courses don't come back to the club house at the turn either...so take a cooler with you and buy your beers at the beginning. We made that mistake...had to take a long drive back to the clubhouse for a bite to eat. We didn't realize that you don't return to the clubhouse until 18.

As of right now, not counting price, this is probably my favorite course thus far. We had a great time playing here. I should have taken a bunch of pictures. I'll be going back at some point though. Maybe I'll update then.
Played that many years ago. Was a fun course.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I too have played there and enjoyed it as well, only a 35 minute trip for me to get there too. Nothing real memorable sticks out as far as holes go though other than the one oar 3 where you are way up top and the the green seems like its 25 stories below you.

Another great course in the area is Wild Rock in the Dells, definitely more expensive but worth it. They have the par 3 course which is challenging while staying fun and it offers some great views. The big course is stunning and can be difficult depending on the tees you choose to play from.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I too have played there and enjoyed it as well, only a 35 minute trip for me to get there too. Nothing real memorable sticks out as far as holes go though other than the one oar 3 where you are way up top and the the green seems like its 25 stories below you.

Another great course in the area is Wild Rock in the Dells, definitely more expensive but worth it. They have the par 3 course which is challenging while staying fun and it offers some great views. The big course is stunning and can be difficult depending on the tees you choose to play from.
You must have played the prairie course? There wasn't a massively downhill par 3 on the Glacier course.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Few shots from Wild Rock, haven't found any yet from Devils Head, not sure I took any.
7570.JPG
7570.JPG
7570.JPG
7573.JPG
7583.JPG
7584.JPG

🔥 Latest posts

Members online