• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dicks buys Golfsmith

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
When does the FTC step in? Dick's owns Golf Galaxy, GolfWorks, and Golfsmith. Golf USA is about toast. Eddie Watts is in financial trouble. Pretty soon, the only golf retailer out there will be Dick's or one of their subsidiaries. Price fixing????

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
When does the FTC step in? Dick's owns Golf Galaxy, GolfWorks, and Golfsmith. Golf USA is about toast. Eddie Watts is in financial trouble. Pretty soon, the only golf retailer out there will be Dick's or one of their subsidiaries. Price fixing????
It's a freaking monopoly!! Dick's and Walmart will own the planet soon!

BTW - Edwin Watts got bought out. The new owners (Worldwide Golf) kept the name up but they're back in the black. http://www.worldwidegolfshops.com/e...cquires-Edwin-Watts-Golf-Shops-NEAR-FINAL.pdf

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
It's a freaking monopoly!! Dick's and Walmart will own the planet soon!

BTW - Edwin Watts got bought out. The new owners kept the name up but they're back in the black.
Won't last long if all the competition is owned by Dick's and they can cut prices to run you out of business.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I was in Dick's today and talked to the golf dept. manager. It was his understanding that they will close all but about 30 Golfsmith's. The ones that stay open will be under the Golf Galaxy name.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Kind of a blow for culbmaking. Golfsmith and Golfworks made competing club making equipment, essentially a monopoly now.

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Kind of a blow for culbmaking. Golfsmith and Golfworks made competing club making equipment, essentially a monopoly now.
Golfmsith hasn't really been a player in the component biz for years. I miss the Snake Eyes line too.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I say the Shottalk "family" should get behind this endeavor. Good luck to McDavis, Azgreg and Glark.

Oh, wait. You meant the sporting goods giant. When you said "Dicks" I immediately thought.....my mistake.
Can you "Like" this multiple times????:D:D

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
I say the Shottalk "family" should get behind this endeavor. Good luck to McDavis, Azgreg and Glark.

Oh, wait. You meant the sporting goods giant. When you said "Dicks" I immediately thought.....my mistake.

214.gif

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Golfmsith hasn't really been a player in the component biz for years. I miss the Snake Eyes line too.
My very first set of clubs was some MacGregor irons with aluminum shafts from a pawn shop. As soon as I began breaking the aluminum shafts, I had a guy make me a set of the Golfsmith "Copperhead" irons. They were knock-offs of Ping's BeCu Eye 2's. Great irons!!!
As the years went on, Golfsmith picked up Snake Eyes when Ernie Vaderson closed it down. Then, Killer Bee and Lynx followed. In the more recent past, didn't they also pick up MacGregor?
They were a real player in the component business, competing with Maltby's GolfWorks. Now, those will all be under one roof. Sad......

How will Dick's handle all the brands they now own? Snake Eyes, Lynx, Killer Bee, Maxfli, Top Flite, MacGregor, Walter Hagen, Slazenger, and probably some more that don't immediately come to mind...

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
My very first set of clubs was some MacGregor irons with aluminum shafts from a pawn shop. As soon as I began breaking the aluminum shafts, I had a guy make me a set of the Golfsmith "Copperhead" irons. They were knock-offs of Ping's BeCu Eye 2's. Great irons!!!
As the years went on, Golfsmith picked up Snake Eyes when Ernie Vaderson closed it down. Then, Killer Bee and Lynx followed. In the more recent past, didn't they also pick up MacGregor?
They were a real player in the component business, competing with Maltby's GolfWorks. Now, those will all be under one roof. Sad......

How will Dick's handle all the brands they now own? Snake Eyes, Lynx, Killer Bee, Maxfli, Top Flite, MacGregor, Walter Hagen, Slazenger, and probably some more that don't immediately come to mind...
I'd love to see the Snake Eyes XC forged line come back in components.
These were outstanding heads.

ea60f8_7cc82bf03f1722db48f872ac22624579.jpg_srz_252_439_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

🔥 Latest posts