• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DIY satin finish....possible?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
So, if a guy had a chrome headed club, and buffed the snot out of it, would he achieve something close to a satin finish?

Before anyone says "why did you buy chrome in the first place" or "Chrome rules anyways, Rock!", you people are just fools. :D

Anyways, comments or past experiences would be sweet.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rockford35 said:
So, if a guy had a chrome headed club, and buffed the snot out of it, would he achieve something close to a satin finish?

Before anyone says "why did you buy chrome in the first place" or "Chrome rules anyways, Rock!", you people are just fools. :D

Anyways, comments or past experiences would be sweet.

R35

I see you're a student of "How to Win Friends and Influence People". Winter's getting to you already huh?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I think Platinum plated (just enough for the bling factor but not to effect swing weight) satin finish with diamond encrusted custom markings would be the shiz! Yo mo'fo!

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I can't even imagine what a platinum finish would cost. And not adding to swingweight....well, i'd have to go out on a limb here and say that you'd be doing some serious grinding to get that wedge to a D2 or D3.

However, these diamonds you mention may work. This image shows a few of the diamonds mined here in Saskatchewan, recovered late last summer....so I have a supplier!:D

R35
skdiamond.jpg

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Rockford35 said:
I can't even imagine what a platinum finish would cost. And not adding to swingweight....well, i'd have to go out on a limb here and say that you'd be doing some serious grinding to get that wedge to a D2 or D3.

However, these diamonds you mention may work. This image shows a few of the diamonds mined here in Saskatchewan, recovered late last summer....so I have a supplier!:D

R35

Is that a women's hand R35? Very feminine indeed! Lots of lotion used on those babies!

You're right about the ice - 2 old skool; I've moved onto Emeralds, and as for the grindin', as long as there a bumpin' I'm sweet on da grindin', yo!

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Uh, ya.

I have no clue who's hand that is, man or woman. But i'll take your word for it.

As for your other comment, I have no idea what you just said. I don't get your inner city lingo.

"What does that mean anyways, 'There's a spider on my head?'"

(bonus points if you guess the movie that that's from:D)

R35

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Rockford35 said:
Uh, ya.

I have no clue who's hand that is, man or woman. But i'll take your word for it.

As for your other comment, I have no idea what you just said. I don't get your inner city lingo.

"What does that mean anyways, 'There's a spider on my head?'"

(bonus points if you guess the movie that that's from:D)

R35

Nothing To Lose!
Where do I claim my prize?
And fess up to the chick mits!

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'll send you a pair of Isotoners.

It's my little secret!:D

(Nice work on the movie, BTW!)

R35

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
If I add all my bonus points up, do I get a turkey?

I gotta win one this year. The Father in Law has won three! Old Bastard. I have to sit at this year's yuletide table and look on at his "ill goten games" (geddit?)

(Note to self - must try like a dog to win one in the next 2 weeks!!)

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Easy Contest for You Irish

First one to send me a new R7 wins a Turkey. Hows that, you can win this one.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
So Rock, tell me what you don't like about chrome? I think players irons (small CB's and blades) look great in chrome. It's weird how I like my irons shiny and clean and my wedges rusted and beat up.

Take a look at:
Hogan Apex 50
TM RAC TP 2005
Mizuno MP-37 (from the custom shop with the M on the toe, not Mizuno stamoped on the MB)

All of these irons in high chrome make me droool. I can't group my 1025's in there since they don't have the mirror + sandblasting on the face like the hogan's and mizuno's do. I think that looks REAL sharp.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You know, it's funny. I had a couple chrome wedges, but they just didn't have the same feel to me as the Gunmetal or the Raw.

My MP30's are chrome, except the cavity back, which is satin. I like that look. If I could, I'd love to have a set of milled forged irons. That look would be so sweet.

As for wedges, I don't mind the satin so much. It's just the chrome that does it. Maybe it's because after 20 minutes of sand practice, they look like they've been dragged behind my car to and from the course. But maybe I'm biased...:D

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Hey Rock, look what I found. Who knows if it would work but what else are you gonna do till April? :D

Scotch-Brite 2 Sided Sponge

The Scotch-Brite® name and reputation continue in a comprehensive product line that provides top-to-bottom cleaning solutions worldwide. We're the name that more customers trust, with the products that keep on performing. Life's too short to scrub too long! There's a smarter way to clean! Use Scotch-Brite® cleaning products for all your cleaning needs, from the toughest baked-on messes to the most delicate surfaces in your kitchen and household.

REVIEW: I used the most common 2 sided (yellow/green) cleaning sponge to magically take away rust and other imperfections in metal on my bike. It works great, --> BUT <-- you have to be gentle and use the yellow (not the green) side of it unless the yellow side isn't tough enough to remove the rust or you'll get lots of tiny scratches. Great tool to make crummy rusted crome into Satin looking chrome! There are dozens of different Scotch-Brite pads on the market so choose one to suit your application.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Way ahead of you Dave.

Thanks tho!:miz: