• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DIY Shaft Extractor Finished

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Not to be a SCHILL, but I can get anyone a good hydraulic puller(same one I use) for around $100. I won't be making a dime off it either. Same one you see pictured on my bench.

I think the point is to make it yourself for $30. That $70 might matter to some people.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
If you're going to go with hyrdaulic, there are better options than that one. The 'Wild Willy' puller is $90 from a guy on WRX, and a much cleaner, and more compact design.

Or even better if you are tight on space is the Greenseekers', for just $70.

agreenseekersgolf.com_images_PICT0008CRPREZOP.jpg

Personally, I think hydraulic is complete overkill for this job, and I didn't want to deal with bleeding the jack, and/or replacing seals. If someone used an old American-made jack, that'd be different, but all the cheap jacks are now made in China, and mine don't last more than a year or two. Some of my scrap aluminum pile are re-claimed pieces of cheap jacks with ruined hydraulics that weren't worth fixing.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I think the point is to make it yourself for $30. That $70 might matter to some people.

For me, anyway, the point is making it myself... saving a little money is just a bonus.

That said, if someone isn't into DIY, by-far the nicest affordable extractor I've seen is this one, constantly on eBay from csbauctions.

PRO GOLF SHAFT EXTRACTOR PULLER TOOL GRAPHITE & STEEL - eBay (item 120368575825 end time Jan-27-09 17:27:50 PST)

A couple months back, they used to sell for $50. Now they're up in the $60-70 neighborhood. I'm impressed that they can sell it for under three figures thought, from the amount of a aluminum machining involved.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
agreenseekersgolf.com_images_PICT0008CRPREZOP.jpg

Personally, I think hydraulic is complete overkill for this job, and I didn't want to deal with bleeding the jack, and/or replacing seals. If someone used an old American-made jack, that'd be different, but all the cheap jacks are now made in China, and mine don't last more than a year or two. Some of my scrap aluminum pile are re-claimed pieces of cheap jacks with ruined hydraulics that weren't worth fixing.

This looks like the easiest setup around. Just need to make that adaptor piece for the top of the jack. And how often do you use a bottle jack that they are wearing out so often? I have a couple, 1 of them is a newer supposedly inferior chinese piece of crap but it has always worked with no issues at all.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
It's not Willy's. Let check with the guy and make sure he's still selling them and I'll let you know. Altho' the above one looks pretty good too.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
This looks like the easiest setup around. Just need to make that adaptor piece for the top of the jack.

That design is especially nice where it minimizes the distance between the shaft and the application of force. The larger that distance, the more lateral force on the tip of the shaft.

And how often do you use a bottle jack that they are wearing out so often? I have a couple, 1 of them is a newer supposedly inferior chinese piece of crap but it has always worked with no issues at all.

Well I don't own a bottle jack, but when I was racing, I'd kill a floor-jack in a season or less. More to the point, though, I bought several which were leaky after just a few uses.

Think about it... you don't even need any mechanical advantage to pull a head off once the epoxy is heated, just grab the head and twist it off. The problem is, you'll wreck a graphite shaft if you twist, so it needs to come straight off. Otherwise, you could do it by hand... so obviously 4 tons of hydraulic-assisted force is unnecessary.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Yeah , but 4T of H force sure makes things EASY.

The guy's got a couple now, said he wants $110 shipped. They work great!

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online