• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does 2 iron really equal 3 woods?

ttcup

Apr 14, 2009
Hi guy
I just bought 2 iron on ebay yesterday (tm tp Muscle), and today I walked in the golf galaxy saw the new 906 f2(15deg) for only $80. I was obsessed, so I bought it too. My question is, are both really goes the same distance? (assume same swing speed, both hit on sweet spot.) The 2 iron have 19 deg on it. I can hit my 3 (21deg)iron 220 yards consistenly, so i thought i may hit 2 iron 230 +. But now I get a 3 wood, I worried the distance. Althought I don't hit wood really good now.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
2 irons are usually the substitute for a 5 wood if I'm not mistaken.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I think it really depends how far you can hit each.

I know for a fact that if I crushed a 2 iron, I would even come within 50 yards of a nutted 3 wood. Same goes for hybrids. A 3H doesn't replace a 3 iron for me, it's easily 20 yards longer.

100% to each their own on what replaces what. There's no hard set rule.

R35

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
your 2 iron is going to be around 19* loft..? maybe 39" long or so?

3 wood is 15* loft, 43" long probably. has a face with a higher COR, and probably a lighter/ more flexible shaft.

Common knowledge, and physics would say that the 3 wood has to go longer. even if you put the same swing on both...the physics would have the clubhead of the 3 wood moving faster than the iron.

having said that, if you can't hit the 3w to save your life, and kill the 2i. then more power to you.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
"F2" does not equal "2 iron". It's just a notation.

3 Wood has the same loft as a ONE iron, roughly. A 5 wood would be closer to a 2 iron.

OP
T

ttcup

Apr 14, 2009
"F2" does not equal "2 iron". It's just a notation.

3 Wood has the same loft as a ONE iron, roughly. A 5 wood would be closer to a 2 iron.

I didn't said f2 = 2 iron. I said I bought a taylormade MB TP 2 iron and a 906F2(3 woods.) Sry for the misunderstanding.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
The "general idea" is that a 3w = 1i; 5w = 2i and 7w = 3i, but it all depends how you hit them.

I bag a 3w and a 2i and like the distance gap I have, just what i've found works for me.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I think it really depends how far you can hit each.

I know for a fact that if I crushed a 2 iron, I would even come within 50 yards of a nutted 3 wood. Same goes for hybrids. A 3H doesn't replace a 3 iron for me, it's easily 20 yards longer.

100% to each their own on what replaces what. There's no hard set rule.

R35
Yeah, too me a 2i (Which I have never owned or hit) is a replacement for a 5w. I base this simply on the fact that a 7w has always been a replacement for a 3i for me.

Just like for me a hybrid has always played 2* less than a similar lofted FW and have seen people use them where they play 2* stronger. Have also had a two similar lofted hybrids that played about a club different. So there is no real standard among Manufacturers as well. My 16.5* TEE 4w plays stronger than some 13* 3w's.

Simply put, ignore the numbers on the bottom of the club and find what distance you want to fill, then find a club you like and hit well that will do so. Otherwise you are likely going to have multiple clubs in your bag that serve the same purpose.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.