• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does a modified Stableford format .....

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
favor the low, mid, or high handicapper?

Consider this format:
Bogey 1 pt; Par 2 pts; Birdie 4 pts; Eagle 8 pts
Modified Course Par of 36 minus handicap = Point Quota
Points Pulled minus Point Quota = Score

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Modified Stableford rewards agressive play regardless of handicap. The quota system is an attempt to equalize the handicap differeneces, but in reality, who is more likely to be making birdies and eagles and getting the huge point bonuses? Low handicappers are more likely to score better with that system you outlined.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Imo,very slightly it will favour mid handicappers.they are good enough to fluke a 5 pointer and have enough shots in the bag for a bad day.Its rare a low handicapper wins a stableford comp,they do well,because tehya er consistent,but a mid rabbiter always,always comes in on a flyer

robereno

Oct 25, 2006
In my opinion it doesnt favor any particular handicap but it does favor the inconsistent player within a certain handicap. two scratch golfers playing each other is always going to favor whoever makes more bogies and birdies than the person who makes 18 pars.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Er why? 18 pars is 36 points,and 9 bogies and 9 birdies is 36 points,or have I missed something in your meaning?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, If I'm off 5, my point quota is 36-5=31. This is my Point Quota.

My playing partner is an 18, so 36-18=18. This is his.

I need to shoot alot better than he does at 18 pars, as his score of 36 (18 with his Score Quota) would need me to shoot 31+18=49 points to equal his 18 points with pars.

So, the guy that normally shoots 90 lights it up shooting near par is alot harder to beat than two better players lining up birdies and bogeys.

Basically, play within your flight if you don't wanna get sandbagged. :D

R35

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yeah I know,but Robereno said two scratch players,so his post doesn't make sense to me

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Er why? 18 pars is 36 points,and 9 bogies and 9 birdies is 36 points,or have I missed something in your meaning?

With birdies at 4 points, this would be 45 points and not 36. 9 x 4 = 36 + 9 = 45.

If birdies were only three then 36 points would equal par. Also, eagles could only be 4 and not 8.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Id have to agree with the mid handicap or the streakier scratch player (the one who makes more bogeys/birdies). the mid for the sandbag reason and for the fact that theyre so streaky near pars and can fluke a bird everyonce in awhile (then they just always seem to birdie the hole they stroke on...urg)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hmmmm. I think the key is just to find that balance, and play it by year. I mean, if you hvae 85% of your golfers playing from 6-12 handicaps, choose it accordingly.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
With birdies at 4 points, this would be 45 points and not 36. 9 x 4 = 36 + 9 = 45.

If birdies were only three then 36 points would equal par. Also, eagles could only be 4 and not 8.

how can a scratch player get 4 points for a birdie?

gwlee7

Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
how can a scratch player get 4 points for a birdie?

By using the format that the Doc lists in the first post in this thread. I don't agree with this format either but, a lot of "mid" and "high" hadicappers like to use it. I play with a group sometimes that uses it and I get penalized because I make usually tons of pars and few birdies. For example, I can go par, par and get 4 points while at the same time, another guy can go triple bogey, birdie and we will have the same number of points eventhough I have a two stroke lead on him.

If we are going to play points, I want it to be 0= double or worse, 1= bogey, 2= par, 3= birdie, 4= eagle. That way, 36 points does in fact equal par on a par 72 course.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Er,exactly,3 points for a birdie,so I repeat,how on earth can a scratch guy get 4 for a birdie? is this system just an idea in here then? I am totally lost,3=birdie,thats it,so the sytem favours higher handicappers slightly because they can shoot high scores medal but score well stableford,scratch players cannot do this so easily

gwlee7

Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
It's not just an idea in here. I actually play with some people that use this very way of scoring sometimes. Technically, it doesn't "penalize" anyone since the "scratch" player would get the same for birdies. Maybe it will help to explain how it works when these guys use it:

Suppose there are 12 golfers of varying ability in a group that regularly play with each other. Each time these guys use the point system as a way of playing they will write down the number of points each gets to get a "points" average that works much like a handicap. Each player on a team has a certain number of points that they must get. The teams can be made up by just drawing names since each person has a certain number of points that they have to make when they play. Your team score will be a plus, a minus, or even depending on how everyone has played. The team with the most points wins.

So, let's look at the following foursome of varying ability:

Player -----Average Points -----Points for Round -----Difference
A ------------30 -------------------28 -----------------(-2)
B ------------27------------------- 27 -----------------(0)
C ------------18 -------------------22----------------- (+4)
D ------------36 -------------------35----------------- (-1)
team ---------------------------------------------------(+1)

Players A and D did not make their points while player C came in + 4. Player B made his. You would then take this score and compare it to the other foursomes' team score to determine the winning team. Hypothetically, as long as everyone has enough scores in, the points you have to make will reflect your handicap pretty closely. I have a 6.6 index and when I play with these guys I have to get 30 points which is roughly in line with shooting a 78 (par 72 ) if I don't make any birdies. I still personally would rather it be 3 points for a birdie but, if everyone is getting the same number of points, it really doesn't matter since we are going on an average that you must make in order to get your points.

I hope this helped explain it some.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
In my opinion, it definitely favors the mid - higher handicap. Stableford allows the not as skilled player to have a "ding" which means once they have exceeded their shot limit for that hole e.g. they get one shop on every whole one they hit a triple they can just pick up their ball and move on, whilst had it been stoke they could have made an 8 or 9 but it technically works out to be a 7.
As a lower handicapper I much prefer Stroke play.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.