• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does the Presidents Cup Need a U.S. Loss?

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
THE UNITED STATES HAS WON EIGHT of 10 Presidents Cups. For the sake of the event, do the Americans need to tank this week in Korea? Do the Internationals need to get in the win column for a change? It would be their first victory since 1998.

Golf.com's Cameron Morfit suggested as much in his column.

"When the Presidents Cup began in 1994," Morfit wrote, "the idea was that the event would grow in stature every couple of years until it began to rival, at least a little, the Ryder Cup. Instead, the opposite has happened, with the Presidents Cup getting less and less relevant with every passing red, white and blue blowout."

Whether the Presidents Cup or the Ryder Cup, one-sidedness is definitely not a good thing. After a while, people think or say, "Who cares?" In fact, folks already say that about the Presidents Cup. ("Not interested in this fake Ryder Cup copy," said one Golf.com reader.)

On the plus side, two dozen of the world's best golfers will be facing each other in match-play formats this week, which has compelling possibilities, especially for the diehard golf fan. Two of those opposing players are golden boys Jordan Spieth and Jason Day. We would all like to see them go head to head at least once at the Jack Nicklaus Golf Club Korea.

Meanwhile, International Team Captain Nick Price understands the gravity for his side.

"I will tell you guys," Price said, "this is a really important Presidents Cup. I'm not going to say, 'What if?' But this better be closely contested. I'll let you guys figure out the repercussions."

Day just came out and said it: "Everybody knows we need to win."

U.S. captain's pick Phil Mickelson said, "I think this is going to be an extremely close, difficult match decided by one or two points."

That might help, especially if Day and his mates somehow pulled out a rare victory.

U.S. Team
Jay Haas (captain)
Jordan Spieth
Rickie Fowler
Dustin Johnson
Zach Johnson
Chris Kirk
Matt Kuchar
Patrick Reed
Jimmy Walker
Bubba Watson
J.B. Holmes
Bill Haas
Phil Mickelson

International Team
Nick Price (captain)
Jason Day
Adam Scott
Sangmoon Bae
Steve Bowditch
Branden Grace
Thongchai Jaidee
Anirban Lahiri
Danny Lee
Marc Leishman
Hideki Matsuyama
Louis Oosthuizen
Charl Schwartzel

Source: Does the Presidents Cup Need a U.S. Loss?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.