• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does the tee itself affect your shot?

SirMixALot

Jun 5, 2017
So Cal
Country
United States United States
After reading the thread about breaking tees, I started thinking about tees. I found a Martini tee a while back, and since it's soft plastic and bends, and has a very large head that makes it easy to use, I been using it exclusively. My buddy thinks that such a large ball to tee contact point has some affect on the ball flight. I'm not so sure, but I don't ever see anyone else using them. What do you think?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I hate breaking those wood tees. After all, they don't grow on trees!!!:D

Lots of dollars made by those manufacturing "low friction" tees. Personally, I do not see where one tee gives much, if any, advantage over another... for we who play this game for fun. One guy in our group buys bamboo tees. They are expensive. He says they shear off easier and don't slow the clubhead. And, he can most certainly tell a difference between his 155 yard drives and his 160 yard drives!!!!!

Use whatever tee you have/find. I have three large coffee cans full of tees of all shapes and sized that I've collected over the years. If it will go in the ground, I'll play it.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Assuming you hit the ball solid, the tee doesn't make squat of a difference. Honestly, I doubt it makes a difference regardless of how you hit the ball.

Tee slowing the club head? The ball is gone before the head makes contact with the tee.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Now I'll say this...I do not use painted tees, just the natural wood ones as I don't want paint transfer. That is the extent of it for me.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I only use the plastic ones because I got so sick of breaking tee's on every driver shot.

I think I have 7 rounds on my current tee. I've lost 3 or 4 of them out of the pack in the last 3 years. Really nice not having to worry about running out of tees in the middle of the round.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Pros go to great lengths to gain every advantage imaginable, no matter how trivial it may seem to us. They use wooden tees so I suspect the tee has zero effect on the shot.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Tees are useful - they hold the ball off the ground, they can be used to clean the grooves on your clubface, pick hot dog spooge out of your teeth, mark the best shot spot for your scramble team, leave all kinds of interesting marks on the bottom of your driver. What they don't do is affect the flight or distance of your shot.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
People often overlook that the tee was the most revolutionary piece of equipment introduced to golf.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Tees are useful - they hold the ball off the ground, they can be used to clean the grooves on your clubface, pick hot dog spooge out of your teeth, mark the best shot spot for your scramble team, leave all kinds of interesting marks on the bottom of your driver. What they don't do is affect the flight or distance of your shot.
WTF, man?!

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
...dog "spooge"

inconceivable3.jpg

OP
SirMixALot

SirMixALot

Jun 5, 2017
So Cal
Country
I leave hotdog spooge in my teeth, it bothers my playing partners. For a while I thought biodegradable tees were the way to go.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.