1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Double overlap grip?

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by RC52, Apr 28, 2009.

1. RC52

RC52 It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN

I have developed this vicious tendency to close the the clubface before impact during the downswing, i heard and read the the double overlap grip may help. I have a pretty steep swing, not quite like Furyk (who uses the double overlap) but probably not far off. Anybody use this grip currently?
  2. Pa Jayhawk

Pa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

I tried it for a short time and it never took. Found myself regripping in mid swing.

What grip do you currently use? At the time I used interlock and going to just an overlap seem to help that issue. Although it was hard to adapt to and in order to finally do so I had to do it coming back from a a long winter break when I had no expectations at the time. Had problems any time I tried in mid season. Felt like I would have had to give up a few weeks to adapt and because I played competitively at the time I would usually try it right up until the time I would hit a few poor shots in a league and figured the rest of my team deserved more.
  3. rolltherock

rolltherock New Member

Hey there, I do have some insight into what you may want to try, but I don't want to offer unsolicited advice unless you want it.

All I can say is if you have a good grip, DON'T change it. Hitting duck hooks is not always caused by a bad grip. I just hate to see anyone ditch a good grip by robbing Peter to pay Paul....it can start a cascade of a dog chasing it's tail and that is never fun!
  4. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

United States United States
    If you're right handed a weaker or stronger right hand grip might help. Play with that at the range.
  5. RC52

Guys, I'm a righty, and i've been playing with a overlap (vardon) grip which feels right since my palms are huge (grip a basketball one handed no problem) but my fingers are pretty normal in size

Rolltherock, my grip...well i'm open to suggestions, what do you have in mind.
  6. Pa Jayhawk

What size grip do you have? Have you given consideration to a larger grip?

You can also experience many of the issues you mention as a result of too small a grip. I could palm a basketball barely if at all and use a midsize. When I went back to a standard I would hook the crap out of the ball because of a closed clubface. A bigger grip causes you to not be able to release your wrist as easily as well

You can do a static fit on PING Golf : Home Page, although it is more so about feel and performance than measurement. May want to go see a fitter, as they don't charge much for this kind of thing. Many times just what they charge to grip clubs if you need bigger grips.
  7. mddubya

mddubya Hybrid convert

I agree with Pa Jayhawk, try a mid-sized grip. I had the opposite problem. I was playing mid-sized grips, and couldn't turn the club over, went to standard and I'm hitting draws now instead of pushes and slices. Sounds like a cheap and easy experiment.
  8. Pa Jayhawk

May even need oversized or Jumbo. Probably a good reason to go to a fitter also, they won't just hand you 1/2 a shaft, but will likely blow a grip on the club if they don't have one.
  9. rolltherock

rolltherock New Member

W/o being able to 1. see your grip or 2. your swing I am making some assumptions here, but I would go ahead and say if you have a sound grip and a decent ability to get and keep the club on plane.....it could be a case of the arms racing past your lower body at impact causing the club head to pass your hands at or before impact. Creating and maintaining the hands leading at impact is soooo important. While it is possible to hit hooks with lag at impact, it's much less prone to snapskys with the hands leading.

When the lower body stops rotating it only magnifies the problem and the arms become even more active. It can sometimes result in giant slices for people that have zero lower body action, but if you have good lower body drive and suddenly stop it can result in HUGE hooks.

I had this problem until I had my ACL repaired and my swing became very disconnected with respect to my upper and lower body. I would start the downswing with my left hip clearing out nicely and then my left knee would say 'uh, sorry buddy but you are NOT going to finish hard into the left side!'.....boom, arms race past and the club head shuts down.....duck hook.

It's all guessing w/o seeing what you are doing, but if you have had good instruction and know your grip is good I would be reticent to change it.

To that end, Jim Furyk did go to a double overlap to stop the hooks.
  10. RC52

Right now, i've got Ping standard size velvet grips on the GC's.

I've had midsize grips before, in particular lamkin perma-wrap os. With those i found myself gripping down to where the grip is smaller around (if that makes sense). Those grips i had were on Titleist 822 os irons that had plenty of offset which in my opinion caused more hooks than the GC's. I've had jumbo grips and they just are too frickin big.

It's a good thought, something i might try out more.
  11. RhinoGolf

RhinoGolf Well-Known Member

I transitioned to the double overlap about 6 months ago. I got to say, it works for me. I was using the vardon for years, but developed a problem using too much of my right wrist and hooking. I decided to give the double overlap a try and at first it was odd, but after a few rounds out to the range I grew used to it and has worked very well.

One thing I have noticed is that I have lost alot of distance. Off the tee I was used to 285-315 yd drives and hit about 50% fairways. Now I max at about 265 yds but hit 85% fairway. I just club up with my irons to compensate.

I think you have to have some power to use this grip or you might lose too much. Personally, I'm a big guy so it works well for me.

I dont think this is for everybody, but if you have some power and can afford to lose a little distance for control, try it out at the range a couple times. Do not just give up on it after hitting 10 balls because it feels weird, you will get used to it. I mean I felt weird going to the Vardon after the interlock but that turned out alright after some practice.

So basically the double overlap...for me, anyways....helped me to stop being so wristy and improved my game. With age, I'm sure I'll be switching back to the vardon or interlock.
  12. rolltherock

rolltherock New Member

All I can say is what was already voiced here. If you have a good grip don't change it. Furyk uses the double overlap and it works, but he had to b/c of a one off, custom circus swing. It works fantastic for him and I couldn't carry that guy's shoes for one hole, but I don't know if I would aspire to make a swing like that work unless you have time to hit 5,000 balls a week with a pro standing behind you.

Without changing a single aspect of your current grip or swing shape I would suggest one simple drill. If you stay connected all the way through impact it's impossible to have your hands race down and shut the face....impossible. You will dislocate your left hip before that happens. If you can keep a washcloth underneath both arm pits past impact then you will see a HUGE difference in the path of your club head. Drive the swing with your core, not your arms/upper body.....let the upper be passive and follow the lower.
  13. fisher

fisher Well-Known Member

I used to use the double overlap. The only time I use it now is in long drive events.