• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver head and shaft combo

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
I am in the market for a new driver, hit on a launch monitor and i have a -4.9* attack angle, 13.1* launch angle and a spin rate of 4100. 112mph swing speed, 256-259 carry distance and 282-285 with roll out. Any of you club builders recommend me a head and shaft combo that will lower my launch angle and bring the spin rate down. I currently hit the taylor made burner with the reax 50 stiff shaft, but it feels to whippy for me

Although that may account for the 4100 rpms, which in turn may account for a higher ball flight even with a low launch angle.

Yep. Switch that around to a positive launch angle and it should give you a lot lower spin and a better launch.

TrackManâ„¢ Newsletter January 2008

I found this awhile back and it says that there are quite a few tour players with negative attack angles on there driver, i have tried to change my swing and hit up on the ball but i cant control the ball and after reading this i am just going to buy a driver to maximize my swing.

Nevermind, went to the range and worked on lowering trajectory and started hitting the ball further than i ever have, lower trajectory plus high backspin equals a decent ball flight that landed at a good angle and got decent roll, cleared the fence at the end of the range for the first time. I have only rolled into it a few times this year and totally cleared it today onto the course behind the range, laser showed it to be 292 yards to the fence

not trying to bust your balls, but what are you doing w/ stiff flex? i think you would benefit more by switching to x flex.

since you're almost scratch, i'm assuming you have a pretty solid swing (and your SS shows that that is the case; good technique=higher SS). you should be driving 290yds or more consistantly. like you did at the range. stiff flex might work if you have VERY smooth transition though.

just my 2cents

I am looking for a x flex but cant decide on which to get, trying to find one in the same model i have now but i think i am going to change heads and get away from the draw model and go back to a standard head, any suggestions on a low launch head that dont cost a fortune

I'd pm Ken at victory custom golf and give him your numbers. He'll certainly steer yo in the right direction.

I'd pm Ken at victory custom golf and give him your numbers. He'll certainly steer yo in the right direction.

yeah.. component drivers are actually pretty good. it think it's mostly the shaft that'll determine spin and trajectory.

i'm doing little research on shafts lately, and i heard good things about speeder. could get those from ebay for decent price. but there are also lot of fakes out there, especially high end shafts like diamana or fujikura.

you can buy head separately, or w/ shaft that no one wants, and therefore sold for less, and get a pulled shaft separately. you'll have a good combo for about 200.

FT-i or L4V are suppose to be long as well as D2. sumo's are more forgiving than long, although they are certainly long enough for most of the course i play (6800yds).

Featured Reviews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54