• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver Hosel Adjustment

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I have an on-going discussion with sssmokin about this. This might seem like a stupid discussion and you're welcome to laugh at me but there is nothing really clear on how this works.

1. When you set the hosel adjustment to "draw" does this just make it draw without changing the face angle of the club (keep it square) at address? I'm not interested on it's affect on loft.

2. Do you manually set the face closed for draw and this hosel adjustment just keeps the loft the same with the manually closed face?

3. Do you set the club head on the ground and this is the face angle you use at address?

http://www.wishongolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/adjustable-hosel-drivers.pdf

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
According to Wishon and other professionals, you cannot physically change the loft of a driver. They contend when you do what the manufacturer says to increase the loft, it actually closes the clubface which then increases the loft. Decreasing the loft opens the clubface. Those using an adjustable driver and having a propensity to slice, increase the loft which closes the clubface. The opposite is true to reduce an angry hook.
They also tell us the "draw" setting only moves the lie more upright. When we bend irons upright, we can begin hooking them. The heel of the iron catches the ground, swinging the toe closed. Having iron lies too flat will tend to leave the ball to the right as the toe hits first, opening the clubface. We don't hit the ground with the driver... unless we "drop kick" the ball. Still, there is some engineering principle that suggests having the driver a little more upright will allow the clubface to close faster.
I know I can get "over the top" and fade/slice the ball. Still, I see no difference between the 'neutral' setting and the 'draw' setting. I used to have everything set in the "D" position. Now, have most set neutral... with no change in playabilty.

Every adjustable club I have, though, is set +2 in loft. I've never been able to hit lower lofted clubs and the higher loft settings do not seem to lose distance.

Lots of words to simply say.... I don't have a clue!!!!!:D

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
With my old TM R? with the disk on the bottom you changed the disk setting and when you put it on the ground it changed the face angle and that's what you used. With the hosel adjustments I can't see any face angle change when the club is sitting on the ground. But when using the D hosel setting I do notice it straightens out my fade/slice somehow. :confused:

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
With my old TM R? with the disk on the bottom you changed the disk setting and when you put it on the ground it changed the face angle and that's what you used. With the hosel adjustments I can't see any face angle change when the club is sitting on the ground. But when using the D hosel setting I do notice it straightens out my fade/slice somehow. :confused:
what i'm thinking is that with the hosel adjustment you are changing the lie mostly, and when the shaft is reinserted to the head, it changes the spin location in the shaft causing to have a different effect of how the club shaft loads and unloads. not for sure on this thought though... thats how come im going to school in aug

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
what i'm thinking is that with the hosel adjustment you are changing the lie mostly, and when the shaft is reinserted to the head, it changes the spin location in the shaft causing to have a different effect of how the club shaft loads and unloads. not for sure on this thought though... thats how come im going to school in aug
When did you get those Mizuno irons?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.