• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driving Distance

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
This is getting absurd.

Year to date according to PGATour.com (remember, these are drives that hit the fairway, so running a ball down the cart path doesn't count...)
  • There have been 80 drives over 400 yards.
  • The average driving distance leader: Tony Finau 322.7 yards.
  • 80% of the time guys are going for the green in two.
  • Top 10 guys who go for it in two: 394 under par
  • Same guys when not going for it: 3 over par
I always considered myself a longer hitter. When I actually kept track of my stats I averaged about 286 yards. That would be good for 180th place.
freak.gif

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Until they narrow the fairways and grow the rough to where it's penalizing, it'll continue to be a "bomb and gouge" game. I understand the equipment manufacturers want to have people believing everyone can hit 300 yard drives with the new models. I understand the galleries may want to see 400 yard drives. Personally, I'd much rather see them have to hit the fairway and see some good shot-making into the greens than watch fairway woods and hybrids roll second shots on par 5's onto the greens from 280 out.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Until they narrow the fairways and grow the rough to where it's penalizing, it'll continue to be a "bomb and gouge" game. I understand the equipment manufacturers want to have people believing everyone can hit 300 yard drives with the new models. I understand the galleries may want to see 400 yard drives. Personally, I'd much rather see them have to hit the fairway and see some good shot-making into the greens than watch fairway woods and hybrids roll second shots on par 5's onto the greens from 280 out.

^^^this

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
This one-word post stuff is ridiculous! You need to more explicitly and more profoundly communicate your approval and/or disapproval of a thread for which you take the valuable time to suggest you agree/disagree with. So many people may be challenged to really understand the full meaning you are attempting to convey through just one word. The English language, I know, does lend itself to some folks overdoing the spelling out of each and every thought/opinion they wish to convey to others. (I'm just glad I keep my posts and replies to certain forums and discussion boards brief and to the point.) Brevity, however, can be taken to an extreme just as can the weather, opinions on political topics and subjects, and on the likes/dislikes of certain sports teams and/or the players on said team. See how easy it is to fully project your thoughts quickly and distinctly and concisely through the use of just a few words??:D:D:D

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
This one-word post stuff is ridiculous! You need to more explicitly and more profoundly communicate your approval and/or disapproval of a thread for which you take the valuable time to suggest you agree/disagree with. So many people may be challenged to really understand the full meaning you are attempting to convey through just one word. The English language, I know, does lend itself to some folks overdoing the spelling out of each and every thought/opinion they wish to convey to others. (I'm just glad I keep my posts and replies to certain forums and discussion boards brief and to the point.) Brevity, however, can be taken to an extreme just as can the weather, opinions on political topics and subjects, and on the likes/dislikes of certain sports teams and/or the players on said team. See how easy it is to fully project your thoughts quickly and distinctly and concisely through the use of just a few words??:D:D:D
^^^^This, bitch.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
This is just a masterpiece. A literary jewel. My hat is off to you sir. :)

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country

OK.

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
I read in Golf Digest online that DJ hit a 489 yarder.
With the 500 yard mark actually being challenged, do you think we'll be seeing any "condors" on the tour?
I had to look it up. A condor is 4 under par on a hole - or a hole in 1 on a par five. And it's been done several times - usually on severe doglegs. But a condor - just think of it. It's in the realm of possibility for today's biggest hitters.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
I need help. I might be hitting the driver well, but only 240-260 ish. Its embarrassing that I used to be 280-310. Swing speed with the driver is about 101 mph. And launch angle is about 12 degrees. HELP!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online