1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driving range order?

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by ernesttbass, Aug 10, 2020.

1. ernesttbass

ernesttbass Banned Banned

United States United States
    I know it’s called a driving range and your supposed to hit a driver, but everyone hits a driver, 3 & 5 woods and irons.

In what order do practice?

start with driver or irons?

is there a best practice?

thanks

2. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

I seldom use a driving range. Won a year's membership to the one at our course and hit 3 buckets of balls all year. The Good Lord only put a certain number of swings in this body. I don't know when that number is used up. So, why waste them on the driving range or with practice swings?? :>)

Random visits to the range: Hit what needs the work. Spend the most time with whatever club(s) that, if you are more confident with, will lower your score.

Range before a round: Begin with easy wedge/iron swings. That get you loose. Slowly work your way up to the driver. Hit two or three with the driver and head to #1 tee. Having the driver as the last club you hit on the range should give you some confidence off the first tee.

TEA Time likes this.
  3. ernesttbass

ernesttbass Banned Banned

I agree !

I start with a 9 iron and half swings and work up, just did not know the best method!

4. TEA Time

TEA Time Grumpy Gilmore Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Exactly that. Starting with 50-60 yard chips with a sand wedge helps set your rhythm and then you gradually loosen up.
    I basically go with a handful of wedges, 8 or 7 iron, 3 iron, 5 wood, driver.

5. bdcrowe

bdcrowe ST Homeland Security

I like to start with wedges. I find that if I start with the driver, I over-swing everything.Wedges should promote tempo and feel.

Progress up through irons to woods, to driver.

Practice the shot you'll have off of the first tee to gain confidence and a mental picture.

Finish with some short irons and wedges to take that relaxed tempo and feel to the round.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and TEA Time like this.