• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dropping my right shoulder, ughhhh!!!!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, the latest proof that I am indeed a hack has manifested itself in me hitting over half my iron shots fat all of the sudden. I finally start hitting my driver fairly straight, keeping it in play, and now my irons let me down. One of my usual playing partners told me a couple of days ago that I'm dropping my right shoulder down during my swing. Ok then, how does this cause a fat shot, and how do I stop doing it?

Any suggestions?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Well, your right shoulder is probably dropping, but that's not the active move you're making that's incorrect. That's the passive result.

You are probably sliding your hips, which results in you tilting your shoulders on the downswing rather than turning them. The bottom of your swing moves around with you do this, as does your angle of attack.

Just think more turn. Get your left shoulder up and BEHIND you, and your right shoulder down and IN FRONT of you. You'll see that this is really hard to do if you're pushing your hips forward very much at all.

That's my best guess.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, your right shoulder is probably dropping, but that's not the active move you're making that's incorrect. That's the passive result.

You are probably sliding your hips, which results in you tilting your shoulders on the downswing rather than turning them. The bottom of your swing moves around with you do this, as does your angle of attack.

Just think more turn. Get your left shoulder up and BEHIND you, and your right shoulder down and IN FRONT of you. You'll see that this is really hard to do if you're pushing your hips forward very much at all.

That's my best guess.

Thanks SUX, I'll check that tomorrow.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Hell, I was doing the same thing last night at the course.

I've been trying to get more spine tilt, and hands lower and around to promote an easier release, and a draw.

Nadda. Getting those damn'd pushes again, and then fat shots.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thank you SUX, and I really mean that. I played 9 this evening and concentrated on making a hip turn, not sliding. I haven't hit the ball that well in, well...., forever. My score was terrible, but that was from not knowing how far the ball was going to go due to making better contact than I can ever recall.

Golf may become fun again !!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs up:

🔥 Latest posts