• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drug testing begins...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
By Associated Press - November 13, 2007

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- The PGA TOUR plans to start its new drug-testing program as early as July, with penalties for a positive test that could range from a one-year suspension for a first offense to a lifetime ban if a player is caught three times.

Leaders from golf's most influential organizations signed off last month on an anti-doping policy. The tour's plan was approved by its policy board.

PGA TOUR commissioner Tim Finchem said players will receive a manual next month as part of an education program that will extend through June, with testing to follow.

The manual will contain a list of prohibited substances that fall under 10 categories, ranging from anabolic steroids to human growth hormones to narcotics to beta blockers.

Finchem said the TOUR can test players without notice anytime and anywhere, and testing at a PGA TOUR event can occur before or after practice or competition. There was no limit to how many times a year a player can be tested. It was not clear if there would be any mandatory testing or players, such as the winner of a tournament.

Penalties could include ineligibility for up to one year for the first violation; up to five years for the second violation; up to a lifetime ban for multiple violations; and fines up to $500,000.

Finchem said violations for recreational drugs, such as marijuana or cocaine, could be treated differently from steroids. The program allows the commissioner discretion to require treatment instead of sanctions, or a combination of the two.

He also said the TOUR would disclose violations and will report the penalty. That's typical of other sports, noteworthy in golf because the TOUR has never disclosed fines for such things as conduct unbecoming a professional.

An education program for the Nationwide Tour will begin in the middle of next year, with testing to start toward the end of the 2008 season. On the Champions Tour for players 50 and older, the education program will start in January 2009, with testing expected to start in the middle of that year.

fuzzyjr

Oct 17, 2007
shame shame

its a shame that golf has come to this. With todays std's i guess i am glad to see the testing, but i am willing to say that there is less than minimal users out on the tour. Sure some guys are on medicines and proteins that will be banned but for the most part i like to think that we have a clean game and sport. Earlier in the year made me think of Gary Player as a jackass, even though he isnt, he said some absurd crap and then didn't do or say anything else to back his theory or any other claims about it. I like Gary Player i just think he was out of line, hell maybe hes right but i hope not.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I don't understand beta blockers. Are the guys with high blood pressure going to have to switch meds if they use those?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I don't understand what beta blockers are or do...someone enlighten me.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Beta blockers, will be allowed aslong as you have been prescribed them for a medical condition is what I read somewhere. Dont some people use them to calm them down which would presumably be good for your putting.

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Beta blockers, will be allowed aslong as you have been prescribed them for a medical condition is what I read somewhere. Dont some people use them to calm them down which would presumably be good for your putting.

They were one of the choices for the treatment of high blood pressure, but have since been superseded by more modern drugs. They still have a role in the treatment of cardiac arrythmias following a heart attack.

They have a well-known side effect:

"Beta blockers protect against social anxiety: Improvement of physical symptoms has been demonstrated with beta-blockers such as propranolol; however, these effects are limited to the social anxiety experienced in performance situations."

I have a physician friend who said his med school class popped Propanalol (a popular beta-blocker) like candy during oral exams.

I'm not suggesting that anyone do that, since there are drug interactions that you need to worry about.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
I can never understand the irony of the fact that "drugs will mess up your life" yet professional sports feels the need to test to ensure that no player has an "advantage" ?? I feel 99% of professional golfers know that any chemical ehancement advantage would be offset by the side effects. Example: steriods might improve muscle but "roid rage" would make steady nerves and "keeping it together" impossible.
One acknowledged drug abuser was John Daly, with alcohol (a drug, just legal) and you can see what it did for his game.

I find this whole thing rather offensive to the players, and I doubt even one player will ever be found to test positive for anything other than maybe pot, which I doubt any of the top players allow themselves even that indulgence due to the demands of their profession.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
I would also like to add that the fact that golf is doing this is just another example of what is wrong with the world today - everybody is a suspect.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
I dont get why people think this is so absurd. When theres millions of dollars at stake people are going to use every advantage they can get. Im sure they're going to get more than one person.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I hate that it's come to testing, but I'm not surprised or offended.

JasonM

May 27, 2007
I gaurantee this will only last the '08 season, then when every single piss test comes back negative it will be realized that it's a huge waste of money and time.

Members online

No members online now.