• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dublin Area Courses

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
I am going to Dublin, IRE in May and I am only going to have time to play one course for 18 holes. I know there are a ton of beautiful tracks here but does anyone have a a must golf for this area?

Thanks.

OP
trumb1mj

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
It doesn't really matter

If you had one day in Ireland and could play 18 holes, where would it be?

Maybe based on scenery and course quality...

OP
trumb1mj

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
anyone play in this area at all?

anyone play in this area at all?

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I thought IG, The Master or Dave Ireland would have been your Men for this one? Ireland is full of great courses, look for a 'Royal' one if you want to play the most Famous one's, i think they have a Royal Dublin or how about the K Club (not sure how far that is)??? Then there are planty of great links courses on the Emrald Island as well, I think Portmarnock Golf Club isn't too far.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Just noticed this thread, I don't know Dublin all that well as I am from up North. But the only two courses I have played in that area are Royal Dublin - a very nice links course The Royal Dublin Golf Club: Legends Have Played Here

I have also played the Smurfit course at the K-Club Golf Vacations Ireland - The Smurfit Championship Golf Course at The K Club Ireland . This course is outstanding and I would recommend playing it if it is accessible to you (about 25 mins outside Dublin) and you have about $180 - $200 to spend on a round of golf.

OP
trumb1mj

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
Thanks guys

The royal looks amazing. I just have to talk my bro into paying that kind of money but it looks like a great golf experience.

rjdunne

Jan 27, 2010
I thought IG, The Master or Dave Ireland would have been your Men for this one? Ireland is full of great courses, look for a 'Royal' one if you want to play the most Famous one's, i think they have a Royal Dublin or how about the K Club (not sure how far that is)??? Then there are planty of great links courses on the Emrald Island as well, I think Portmarnock Golf Club isn't too far.

Just joined so only seeing this thread belatedly :).

Royal Dublin and St Annes (Home - St. Anne's Golf Club: Links Golf in Dublin Ireland) are both close to the city and great courses (RD is slightly the better -- certainly by rep).
Portmarnock is classy - but over priced in my opinion - about 20 mins from dublin city centre.
K Club is spectacular alright - but maybe 60+ mins drive from dublin city.
Carton House (maynooth - 40 mins from dublin) has two courses in fantastic scenery.
St Margarets (behind dublin airport) hosts some of the Irish opens (womens most recently) and is a pleasent parklander.

If the weather is fine then Royal Dub gets my vote (its a very flat & exposed links course so if the wind/rain is up then you get battered). If weather is changeable - Carton house - might swing it.

RJ

kevin markham

Irish golfer
Sep 1, 2009
Re: Thanks guys

The royal looks amazing. I just have to talk my bro into paying that kind of money but it looks like a great golf experience.

If you're staying in the heart of Dublin then Royal Dublin is a good bet. You get reputation, history and a links course. But, to be honest, I'd go the extra few miles and head up to The Island (photos) It's 40 minutes, tops and worth the trip (and better value too)

People have mentioned the K Club already. If that takes your fancy, you should get out for under €100, but play the Palmer Course (photos), not the Smurfit. Carton House is good too.

If you're on the southside of Dublin there are a couple of local courses that are worth a trip: Grange GC is the home of Paul McGinley, and Stackstown is home to Padraig Harrington. Be aware that Stackstown is very steep - and it's an adventure rather than quality.

The only other course you should consider is Druid's Glen (photos). It's 45 minutes south but hosted the Irish Open 3 times in the 1990s.

You've got a variety of quality and price in that lot. Druid's is one of my favourite parkland courses in the country, but if you want to experience a great links, head for The Island (ahead of Royal Dublin).

Enjoy

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.