1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Eliminating the occasional WTF shot?

Discussion in 'Hacker's Anonymous' started by mddubya, Oct 12, 2011.

1. mddubya

mddubya Hybrid convert

Okay, I've accepted the fact I can't putt due to my inability to read a green. I can live with 2 putting, and the occasional 3 putt. (doesn't mean I've given up on trying to improve) But my problem is the occasional, 2, 3, sometimes 4 shots a round that leave me scratching my head wondering, where the h@ll did that come from? I'm talking about hitting a 6 iron so fat it barely travels 20 yards. Or topping one from the fairway with a 3 wood that it almost pops straight up into the air, or worm burns 50 yards down the fairway when I was looking for 225 yards.

I've pretty much straightened out my driver woes, I'm finding far more fairways than roughs now, and seldom lose a ball anymore. I can hit the perfect drive, and then follow it with the worse shot you've ever seen from a total beginner. I can hit some the prettiest iron shots for 3 or 4 holes in a row, and then one of those WTF shots pops up. So I know I am capable of playing the game, and at a decent level, maybe even better than decent. I've shot a 39 for 9 holes on my home course, and numerous 41's and 42's. I've put together some 18 hole rounds of 81, and numerous 82's, but may follow it up the next day with a friggin 90 or worse.

I'm not expecting to become a scratch golfer, and certainly not dreaming of playing on the Champions Tour, but if I could eliminate those 4-6 strokes a rounds that result from one of these occasional flubs I'd be tickled. I'd just like to know if I am the only one whose scores can vary this much from day to day? And if there is anything I can do to eliminate or lower the number of WTH shots?

Any ideas, suggestions?

2. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

United States United States
    The thing that helped me immensely with my iron and fairway play was keeping my spine angle solid through the entire swing.

Keeping that spine angle correct brings the club back to the ground at the exact same place you took it into the back swing at(assuming nothing else huge moves).

When i hit one fat, i know i messed up my spine angle during the shot. I can usually feel it during the swing and just can't bring myself to stop it mid swing and try again.

3. anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic Refusing Recovery Supporting Member

I can totally relate.

I honestly think it's a lack of concentration. To play really good golf is a grind. It's easy to let your guard down and slip up and make a stupid mistake. But grinding for entire round is mentally exhausting. After a tournament round, I'm done for...take me out of the oven. It requires so much concentration that my brain is mush afterwards. I've learned a little trick that helps me. I just don't think about my next shot until I have to. I'll just goof off, tell jokes, whatever...until it's time. Then I size up my target, pick a shot shape, then go into my routine and execute to my fullest ability. After the shot lands, good or bad, I go back to goof off mode. This seems to kind of keep me fresh, so to speak. The main thing is to fully concentrate during the moment of the swing for every shot of the day...and that's tough.

Just remember that everyone has those shots. Don't let one shot escalate into a meltdown. I topped my opening tee shot with a hybrid the last time I played, barely made it to the ladies box. I ended up with about an 8 footer for par that I should have made, didn't, but still a bogey was ok. This advice has helped me tremendously. I used to come unglued after a horrid shot, then wouldn't take my time on the next shot and the next thing I knew, I was carding a big number.

Just my .02

4. mddubya

mddubya Hybrid convert

I think my problem is a combination of the two. I know I have the occasional mental meltdown, just lose my concentration. And I have a routine I go through as I address the ball, take stance, bend knees, pull shoulders back, tuck butt in a bit, and cock head to the right a bit. If I skip one or all of those steps, it invariably leads to a less than stellar shot. Yet even though I know this, I occasionally find myself doing just that, which is usually followed by a tirade of words and expressions that would make my dearly departed mother ashamed of me, :D

I'll have to try the kidding around tip though, it certainly can't hurt.

5. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

It's mental. That explains why I suck. I'm a moron...

No concentration or it just goes bye-bye right at the moment of the downswing...

Same issues as you mud.

6. mddubya

mddubya Hybrid convert

Pretty much the answers I was expecting. Lol. I had high hopes one of y'all had come up with a way to overcome the brain farts that are adding those 4-6 strokes a round to my scores, but apparently they are the bane of all of us mere mortal golfers. Probably also explain how all the Bob Rotella's and the like are making millions off the pros. I've read his book cover to cover numerous times, I know to visualize the shot I want, and not to let my last thought be, "don't hit it into the water", but if your trying to clear the corner of a lake and hit your 6 iron fat, guess where the ball is going to end up 99% of the time, lol.