• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Euro 2008

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Anybody watching this? What has gotten into the Dutch? First they take out World Cup winner Italy and then spread a hurting onto France, the Would Cup runner up. The only other teams playing at that level appears to be Spain and Porugal, but the Duth have become an offensive juggernaut all of sudden. It will be intersting to see how far they advance.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Portugal: The all-world dive team. I can't stand those bastards.

Thats a little harsh they really haven't dived that much so far. They have played very good attacking football and they have a solid midfield. One word, Ronaldo.

Although the team that will win play in orange, the Dutch have played destroying football, such attacking football backed up by a solid defense means they'll be stronger than most or all other teams in the Euro's.

irishtiger

Jun 16, 2008
Portugal: The all-world dive team. I can't stand those bastards.

That doesn't mean they won't win.
I hate them too. I stopped watching soccer for about 6 months after the last world cup because of the way Fifa/Referees rewarded their dives

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Thats a little harsh they really haven't dived that much so far. They have played very good attacking football and they have a solid midfield. One word, Ronaldo.

Although the team that will win play in orange, the Dutch have played destroying football, such attacking football backed up by a solid defense means they'll be stronger than most or all other teams in the Euro's.
Yes, but did you see them in the last World Cup? Disgraceful. Maybe they've cleaned up their act. Maybe they're just waiting until a match against Netherlands. I simply lost all respect for them after watching the '06 World Cup match against the Dutch. That was spineless football, and I expect them to repeat that disgrace.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Italy v. France tonight will be a Mega Death game!

So far it has been an entertaining tournament, but tonight's game is fo rthe purist. I will be camped out in front of the TV, beers in hand. I will develop selective hearing, ignore my wife & children, get shouted at etc. But it will be worth it. :beach3:

Who will win? Probably someone like Turkey. Same happens every time. The Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese dish out all the entertainment and then get squeezed in the 1/4s or semis to a defensive team like Greece, who will nick a goal on the break and then camp out in defense.

I wish I had a gun for that Greece Sweden game. Those Greek a'holes passing it across their back three for 20 mins of the game. Not the beautiful game!

Italy to win tonight!!!

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Yes, but did you see them in the last World Cup? Disgraceful. Maybe they've cleaned up their act. Maybe they're just waiting until a match against Netherlands. I simply lost all respect for them after watching the '06 World Cup match against the Dutch. That was spineless football, and I expect them to repeat that disgrace.

I'm English, I know all to well how Portugal played at the world cup. While I lost alot of respect for them, I do respect them as talented footballers. They haven't dived as much this tournament but carried on playing pretty football.
I wish I had a gun for that Greece Sweden game
IG you're completely right, but it did have one spectacular highlight. A Quote from the commentator : "I know it's our job to stay impartial, but I do hope Sweden score.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Italy v. France tonight will be a Mega Death game!
Definitely going to watch that match. I hope Italy wakes up and plays the game they're capable of. Same with France. For those two teams to only have one point each (and a chance to go through) is almost unfathomable.

I expect France to come out firing early and often. Without Viera in the game, and with a couple of players close to suspension, they will need to pull out all the stops and let the chips (french fries?) fall where they may. Italy's defense is worn thin right now, and an attacking game could well take Italy right out of the tournament.

Can Donadoni rally his team to beat Les Bleus and avenge their qualifying loss? Can Buffon hold steady? Can Luca Toni become the Azzurri's salvation in this tournament? Can Zambrotta be the Zambrotta who helped secure the 2004 World Cup?

Should be a good match.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
I put France and Italy in the same basket as England, fantastic individual players but cant play together as a team, I may well be proved wrong tonight though.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I have been looking forward to this match up since they announced the group schedules. I thought it would be to see who wins the group, now it looks like a battle to see who will survive. If they draw, Romania could get through on goal differential depending on what the Dutch do to them tonight.

Germany vs. Portugal in the next round looks like an intreaguing matchup. That one will all depend on which German team shows up.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Italy advances. They could be dangerous if they have finally awakened.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
So much for my career as an analyst. Then again, who can predict red cards? I'm glad to see Italy through. Spain is next. I doubt they'll survive that test, but who knows?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Great game last night for all sorts of reasons. Lots of incidents, some very shaky refereeing, an Italian striker who will probably never have so many chances in one game again, and didn't score any of them!

I have to say the French team was disappointing and made Italy look good. They did come back in the 2nd half and were competing until Italy got the 2nd.

Bring on the Spaniards! Ole!

oh and Holland look like "The Unstoppable Sex Machine!"

Irish

May 9, 2007
I put France and Italy in the same basket as England, fantastic individual players but cant play together as a team, I may well be proved wrong tonight though.

you can't compare the current world champs...who also won in 82 and won the euros in 68 and the team that won the world cup in 98 and euros in 84 and 00 to a team that haven't made it to a major final in 42 years....

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.