• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Euro 2008

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
you can't compare the current world champs...who also won in 82 and won the euros in 68 and the team that won the world cup in 98 and euros in 84 and 00 to a team that haven't made it to a major final in 42 years....
I disagree, you judge a team on how they are playing now, not previously. Otherwise I could say England are world class because we won the world cup a few years ago. Frances performance resembled many of England's performances, very little spirit, all the players looking for each other to do something special instead of performing themselves.

Italy's striker should just not be allowed on a football pitch anymore, he cant run and scientists have proven that my grandma has a better finish with her right foot.

Irish

May 9, 2007
I disagree, you judge a team on how they are playing now, not previously. Otherwise I could say England are world class because we won the world cup a few years ago. Frances performance resembled many of England's performances, very little spirit, all the players looking for each other to do something special instead of performing themselves.

Italy's striker should just not be allowed on a football pitch anymore, he cant run and scientists have proven that my grandma has a better finish with her right foot.

true enough and although playing poorly both France and Italy qualified with aging squads...42 years since winning anything and 12 since making a semi final in an international competition...

England are the 'white elephant' of international football...hyped up to the max by Sky but in real terms a secondary team that just aren't good enough...the premiership is the best league in europe at the moment but not because of the english players....if England want to perform to what they should be performing at they need to put more emphasis on homegrown talent and less on expensive imports

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
England are the 'white elephant' of international football...hyped up to the max by Sky but in real terms a secondary team that just aren't good enough...the premiership is the best league in europe at the moment but not because of the english players....if England want to perform to what they should be performing at they need to put more emphasis on homegrown talent and less on expensive imports

I agree completely, with everything you've said but I should add england have potential to be fantastic, I just look at the names in the squad and our recent results and something just doesn't add up.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
true enough and although playing poorly both France and Italy qualified with aging squads...42 years since winning anything and 12 since making a semi final in an international competition...
Am I failing to comprehend the english language here? Are you talking about France and Italy? The 1998 and 2006 World Cup champions?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
France have been shit. Ruberry going off just sealed their fate. Italy have missed Cannavaro and I hope Holland keep it going, they are very likely to all fall out and **** it up, but we will see.

The Spanish have been superb, Portugal ok riding on the wave caused by Ronaldo, they have an air of invincibility about them due to having the best player in the world in the team (bit like Leightom James for Burnley)

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Should be a good one today, Portugal vs. Germany, but I am looking forward to the 22nd and Spain vs Italy.

Irish

May 9, 2007
Should be a good one today, Portugal vs. Germany, but I am looking forward to the 22nd and Spain vs Italy.

quarter final matchups look good...

Russia were outstanding last night and really looking forward to their game against the Dutch...best two pure footballing teams in the competiton (neither will win though)

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Damn turks, didnt see that coming. Croatia played their worst game of the tournament, shame because their manager is a quality guy, he will manage in the premiership soon.

On a side note, as a United fan I will be sad to see Ronaldo go but I'll love the money, if we do get 60M for him we can buy 3 world class players.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Damn turks, didnt see that coming. Croatia played their worst game of the tournament, shame because their manager is a quality guy, he will manage in the premiership soon.

On a side note, as a United fan I will be sad to see Ronaldo go but I'll love the money, if we do get 60M for him we can buy 3 world class players.

Ronaldo is leaving Man U? Did he decide on Madrid after all the denials?

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Ronaldo is leaving Man U? Did he decide on Madrid after all the denials?

Its more or less confirmed in the British press, and they aren't wrong when they are printing this many stories. Ronaldo has lost my respect, he said in an interview on the pitch after the champions league game that he was staying. Just think of what Sir Alex can do with 60M though, we'll have a solid squad and hopefully a proper lone striker (Berbatov) to offer a change in tactics if teams start playing defensive against us.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
More than solid. The Russians out "oranjed" the Oranje. Flowing, attacking football, with runs and passes coming from all angles.

Loved it.

If the Spanish get by the Italians, the Russians will do them as well.... but not sure if they will beat Italy. Toni is yet to wake up, and if he does, Italy may win the whole thing.

I'm just hoping Germany does not at this point.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
More than solid. The Russians out "oranjed" the Oranje. Flowing, attacking football, with runs and passes coming from all angles.

Loved it.

If the Spanish get by the Italians, the Russians will do them as well.... but not sure if they will beat Italy. Toni is yet to wake up, and if he does, Italy may win the whole thing.

I'm just hoping Germany does not at this point.
Definitely one of the more entertaining matches I've seen in a while. Russia has some solid strikers, and a quality mid-field, and like you said, they played a fluid, attacking game. Reminded me of some of the better African teams, like Cameroon.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.