• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ever wonder why Tiger plays a Bridgestone ball?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
One of the more curious equipment selections for Tiger was his decision to go with Bridgestone for his tour ball. It always kind of perplexed me a bit until I read the following article.

Tiger Woods and the golf ball that (almost) changed it all — Golf

Apparently, Bridgestone has been making Tiger’s ball (his Nike balls specifically) since 2000. Kind of makes it a no brainer to continue that relationship after Nike stopped stamping the swoosh on the balls.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
One of the more curious equipment selections for Tiger was his decision to go with Bridgestone for his tour ball. It always kind of perplexed me a bit until I read the following article.

Tiger Woods and the golf ball that (almost) changed it all — Golf

Apparently, Bridgestone has been making Tiger’s ball (his Nike balls specifically) since 2000. Kind of makes it a no brainer to continue that relationship after Nike stopped stamping the swoosh on the balls.
That is a very cool story!

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
What is crazy is that Top Flite has that solid core technology in the Strata line years before Bridgestone and Titleist brought it to market. Strata players like O’Meara and Furyk were playing the better ball and getting an advantage over the wound ball players because of the stigma of it being a Top Flite product. O’Meara cashed in with two majors in a year. If that had been Els, Tiger, or Phil, the market would have shifted two years earlier than it did.

Of course, once Callaway bought out the Spaulding/Top Flite company, they immediately sued Titleist for patent infringement for stealing the Strata technology.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online