• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fairway Wood vs Hybrid

braveheart

May 21, 2008
I have been at this battle for a few years. I have a TEE CB2 3 wood that hit bombs but is hard to control at times. I have an Adams XTD 15 degree hybrid that I often use instead. Not as long but enough and its a little easier to hit and accurate. I use a 19 degree hybrid for the same reason.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
I changed my swing this year and I'm much steeper now. I'm taking a divot with my 5w and brushing the grass with my 3w. I think I was probably mishitting my woods all these years...

Since making the change I feel like my 5w is just as forgiving as my hybrid. I think you should test a ton of clubs and see if you're better with one club vs. another.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Most people and me included have a tendency to not stick those arms out and get enough arm leverage to bring out the nature of a 3w. Its funny that that same swing flaw can effect wedge play with the shortest wedges and putter as well.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I've reached a new conclusion in reference to fairways and hybrids. I'm not inherently more accurate off a tee with a fw over driver so the only time I don't hit driver is when it's possible to hit it too long or a driver can reach trouble (water of fairway bunkers). In that case I will use my 5w or 5h if necessary. I've come to the realization that with my game, going for greens with a 3 or 4 wood or 2 or 3 hybrid is more risk than reward for me so I'm more likely to play to a good layup distance. As a result I have whittled my bag down to 11 clubs: D, 5W, 5H, 6-GW, SW, P. Of course, things are always subject to change.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I've reached a new conclusion in reference to fairways and hybrids. I'm not inherently more accurate off a tee with a fw over driver so the only time I don't hit driver is when it's possible to hit it too long or a driver can reach trouble (water of fairway bunkers). In that case I will use my 5w or 5h if necessary. I've come to the realization that with my game, going for greens with a 3 or 4 wood or 2 or 3 hybrid is more risk than reward for me so I'm more likely to play to a good layup distance. As a result I have whittled my bag down to 11 clubs: D, 5W, 5H, 6-GW, SW, P. Of course, things are always subject to change.
I told myself for this season I'm going to be adopting this same philosophy, trying to hit the green with a wood or long iron tends to f#ck me.

🔥 Latest posts