• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fairway woods/Hybrid/Utility

six-t

Feb 24, 2005
So I found my dream driver last week but can't decide on the fairway woods. Should I go fairway or some sort of Hybrid? I like the V-Steel TM but hit some of the Nike CPR Hybrids and swear I was hitting them like woods. Maybe not a 3 but definetly a 5 or 7. I also noticed on the Nike website the CPR woods are shorter than the Hybrids. Could this be a Nike misprint? I'm pretty average from the fairway with woods most definetely my weak point(yeah everything else is just dandy :)
I do seem to hit the low profile woods pretty well and assume since all the companies are releasing them there must be a reason. I haven't tried the Heavenwood or Cobra but like someone said in the 2005 equiptment the Cleveland looks cool. I'm sure some of you guys have tons of experience and can maybe help me out. Thanks :usflag:

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I like both my Nickent Genex 3DX Hybrid (4H - 23*) and my Adams Ovation 7 wood (21* - low profile - awesome sound). 3DX goes a good 190 - 205 and Ovation goes 210 - 225 (although I blew it 234 the other day...wow).

I guess I just can't decide what I like better...they both have their place in my bag.

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
I picked up a used ovation 3W and I love it. I had a Titleist 980 3W and I HATED it. I couldn't hit it. That club cost me a tournament. So I traded it for the Adams Ovation and that was a very good trade!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
If you can't decide between fairway wood and hybrid you might demo the TM Rescue Fairway woods. They're low profile and look like a blend of the two IMO.

I've demoed them a couple of times and they are very easy to hit but didn't work for me because of our fairways. Our fairways are kept long so a deeper face works better.

Oh yeah, they've been out long enough that the price has been reduced at most stores.

My $.02

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Tell us some more about your game.

You say you have a driver that you like....

OK - how many clubs do you have in your bag now? 12? 13?

How many additional clubs can you add?

(I have a driver, two matching fairway metals and a hybrid)...

Are you really bad at hitting fairway metals? If so, getting 2-3 hybrids may be the way to go...

A little more info please.

OP
S

six-t

Feb 24, 2005
Thanks, I carry a driver and a 3 and 5 wood. 3-SW irons but at the end of last year I started hitting some Hybrids that belonged to my golf buddies and was hitting the 3 Hybrid like the 5 wood. I'm sure the course conditions would make a big difference and when I hit the Hybrids it was dry. I hit the TM next to the Ovation and got very similar results. Good a majority of the time but I'll go through bad streaks mainly with the lower lofted 3 wood. I'm a mid handicap 11-14.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I have a 2+ hybrid that is every bit as long as my 3 wood, though I don't play it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.