• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fairway woods off a tight lie

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
My nemesis. It's back. Yesterday I didn't hit a single decent fairway wood shot off the short grass. Pathetic. All the shots were low slices. I finally resorted to hitting the 20° hybrid on my 2nd shots into par 5s, because I knew I could hit it straight and get it up in the air. That leaves long approach shots. :(

I know what I'm doing: I'm trying to help the ball up into the air instead of hitting down, probably because I want more distance.

Maybe my ball position is too far forward.

I can smoke those fairways off the tee, but not off the grass. :(

I need a lesson.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
This old hacker put a 220 yard 3-wood on the green Saturday (long par 4)... and close to the pin... :D (ball from middle of stance)... :prop:

and made the 10' birdie putt... :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
My nemesis. It's back. Yesterday I didn't hit a single decent fairway wood shot off the short grass. Pathetic. All the shots were low slices. I finally resorted to hitting the 20° hybrid on my 2nd shots into par 5s, because I knew I could hit it straight and get it up in the air. That leaves long approach shots. :(

I know what I'm doing: I'm trying to help the ball up into the air instead of hitting down, probably because I want more distance.

Maybe my ball position is too far forward.

I can smoke those fairways off the tee, but not off the grass. :(

I need a lesson.
I personally think the FW wood off a tight lie is the toughest shot there is. You've got the 2nd longest club in your hand, and a long way to go. The tendency is to try to rip it, and I end up doing exactly what you said - low slice or big pull - because of the resultant big OTT move.

Choke up a bit and think smooth swing. Let the club do the work. It's cliche, but it's true.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I am struggling with this shot currently.

Time for a new 3W lol

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Sometimes I think the idea of "hitting down" on fairway woods does more harm than good. Granted, the clubhead needs to be bottoming out at or just in front of the ball but I have more success thinking of sweeping the ball off the turf than I do hitting down on it. Try visualising the club head making a "touch and go landing" like an airplane on a runway and see if that helps.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It's pretty similar to off the tee for me. I actually like hitting them off hardpan as I can move them any way I want. The key for me is simple, I never hit my FW's off a tee at the range, only off the mat. I also hit a half dozen drivers off the deck at the range every time. Makes hitting a 3W a piece of cake. If it helps, just try to hit it solid. If you hit a 15* club solid the ballspeed and loft will get it up in the air no problem.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
My problem yesterday too. 525 yard par 5, with a slight dog leg right.

I tee'd it off to the left, just on the fairway barely, but on a little slope. Had a good distance left, and grabbed the 5 wood.

What did I do? I ripped a shot, only it was low and hauled ass into the lake on a severe slice.

I never pulled it out again.. I just can't hit it good without atleast a little tee help.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I am in the same exact boat. Fairway wood off the deck is my worst shot.

I can hit it off the tee just fine, just not in the fairway. I think my problem is, I try to go after it like I do when I tee off with it.

I need to really concentrate on putting a nice tempo swing on it. We'll see if it works.

Will let you guys know.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I can hit a decent fairway off the deck once in a while. I noticed, that when I strengthen my grip, I don't take divots, just friction marks on the grass. It's weird but for some reason it works for me. I really want to get a higher launching shaft in my fairway woods though.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
It seems I am not the only one. :)

I'm looking for a good pro for a lesson. Whoever finds the secret first should post it here pour le encouragement les autres.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
It seems I am not the only one. :)

I'm looking for a good pro for a lesson. Whoever finds the secret first should post it here pour le encouragement les autres.
I already did. You must not have read my post.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I already did. You must not have read my post.

You mean?

Choke up a bit and think smooth swing. Let the club do the work.

Too easy. :) I need something really complicated just so I think I got my moneys' worth. :D

Besides, I want to hit the 260 yard 5 wood cut shot off the deck, like Tiger.

:biglol:

trey88

Jun 1, 2008
Fairway woods off the deck are fairly easy for me if I don't try to kill it. My problem is my chipping and putting are pure crap, and the dreaded high, long, and about a 2 fairways over slice I hit sometimes. Lol.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Besides, I want to hit the 260 yard 5 wood cut shot off the deck, like Tiger.

That will take some drugs that are not available either over or behind the counter. Some type of hallucinogen should do the trick. :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.