• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Faldo says we should get rid of the tee

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
He wants to see more errant tee shots? Penalizing players seems counterproductive. He suggests banning tees and reducing driver size but doesn't mention changing the ball.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
The pros hit their 3 woods 280+ off the deck. I don't think taking their tees away is going to accomplish much.

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Laura Davies seldom used a tee. She would bang the driver into the tee box and set the ball on the "mound" she made. She was a rather "big boned" lady and hit the ball a mile... with no tee.
Ken Venturi would do the same. He said he would do that when he absolutely couldn't go left.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Laura Davies seldom used a tee. She would bang the driver into the tee box and set the ball on the "mound" she made. She was a rather "big boned" lady and hit the ball a mile... with no tee.
Her driving average was 252 yards.

I don't think there's an equalizer. Some people just bomb it. It's what they do.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Her driving average was 252 yards.

I don't think there's an equalizer. Some people just bomb it. It's what they do.
Back then, wasn't the 252 in the upper tier of driving distance for ladies? IIRC, Davies' tour time was before the 460cc drivers, etc. Some of her career was probably before the titanium use in drivers.

She always seemed happy, but there was some hint that you didn't want to mess with her. Helen Alfredson was active back then. Alfredson was always screaming at herself and everyone knew when she hit a bad shot. Davies just played steady and stoically, but when she went after the ball that entire "hulk" of a lady really put a hurt on it.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
When it comes down to it, we do need to think about some sort of limit on distance. Otherwise, you build 8K yard courses. You either limit the ball or the club technology, which are never going to happen due to the $$$ involved. Taking the tee away is interesting and different. I rarely use a tee on a par 3 and I can hit the driver off the deck where I have a decent lie. On the tee, I also do "a Laura" and bump the ground up a little to tee it up. It makes me commit to it.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I have posted stats elsewhere about PGA Tour driving stats. From memory the longest driving distance was recorded around 2010, perhaps earlier.

When it comes to golf, emotion often becomes reality. I remember vividly the hoo-ha about box grooves on wedges and anchored putters.

I’m fine with the way things are. Sports evolve. I’m tired of commentators waxing nostalgic about how much better things were in their day.

When it comes to Laura Davies, I have followed her live. Her hacking up the teeing ground to make a mound was plain annoying. It came across as old school arrogant, like she was too good to use a tee.

Last edited:

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Some of the guys that play with me tut as well when I make my mound. They say I'm hacking up the tee, but on par 3s I'm taking a divot regardless, tee or no tee. On a par 4 where I hit the hybrid or 3 wood off the tee, I guess its just a confidence thing with me to stay down on the ball. It's the opposite of arrogance.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.