• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fantasy Football 2008 (the real football not that pansy american crap) :-)

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone was interested in a league for the soon to be arriving Premier League season. Will set something up if there is enough interest....

Let me know ASAP

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone was interested in a league for the soon to be arriving Premier League season. Will set something up if there is enough interest....

Let me know ASAP
How would you do that? There aren't enough points in a soccer match. Would you give points for touches, playing minutes, possession minutes, and successful passes? Would you deduct points for fouls? Dives? Glaring at your opponent?:laugh:

I don't get it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
How exactly would you score points? I kind of agree with Eracer, not enough points being scored by enough people to make a fantasy league work well. From the sounds of it, the first pick takes Ronaldo, the second and third picks get the next two or three blokes who put up good numbers and everyone else is finished before the season began.

How does it work?

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Here's how it works directly from the Yahoo site... Salary cap based competition:

http://uk.premiership.fantasysports.yahoo.com/football/rules

If you dont understand, G is goalkeeper, D is defender, M is midfielder and F is forward / strikers.

So you can have Ronaldo all you like, but it's gonna cost ya for the rest of your players....

Trick is to buy players that cost little but their value increases as the season goes on from playing well, that way you get the profits when you sell them and can buy better players from there...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
So its one of those stock market type fantasy games? Everyone theoretically can own the same players at the same time?

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
So its one of those stock market type fantasy games? Everyone theoretically can own the same players at the same time?

Thats right, if two guys want to own Ronaldo or Fabregas or Rooney or whoever, they can. But they better get results from guys like them coz they take up a HUGE chunk of your salary.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
But wouldn't it mean you had to actually watch the games, or is it matches?, to know how you're doing?

That leaves me out right there! :laugh:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Not a big fan of that style of league. Tried it once in baseball, ended up winning the league, but hated the fact that you could essentially eliminate someone by mearly matching their team if you were ahead of them. Two guys spent the last two months trying to match my team to avoid me passing them so I had to work quickly and stealthly in order to prevent them from seeing my lineup until right before it was due. Pain in the arse. I ended up winning the league (by 3 points) by having Ron Villone (who was a starter) pick up a save (worth 9 points) for Cincinatti in a one game playoff after the season ended to break a tie between Cincy and Milwaukee. I ran out of moves and had to keep either Villone or another starter and kept Villone as he had made spot relief appearences through out the year.

Of course, years later all I had to do was walk by the guy's desk and say "Ron Villone" to piss him off. :laugh:

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
But wouldn't it mean you had to actually watch the games, or is it matches?, to know how you're doing?

That leaves me out right there! :laugh:

That probably would help, you don't necessarily have to watch all the matches, just have a general idea of who's who and keep an eye out for good unknown players coming up. But I know exactly what you mean...

Ghey...

10charbullshiat

That's all well and good but billions of people worldwide love the true football. Can't compete with the facts...

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Of course, years later all I had to do was walk by the guy's desk and say "Ron Villone" to piss him off. :laugh:

See, it has its advantages...:laugh: But thats fine, just throwing it out there to see if there is any interest. If no-one replies then the idea is scrapped and no harm done...

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
More towards the style of competition than towards soccer itself.

I disagree. I think the true attraction of the game is the skill level, fitness, and raw talent to be able to make the round ball sing, that the players display. And I would bet that 99% of people who love football would love it for those reasons alone...

For the record I'm not a fan of diving or simulation and wish that it could be banned from the game.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online